U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 AM

2,102 posts, read 6,573,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofCT View Post
Property Taxes. Madison does not have a tax base whatsoever.
According to www.cerc.com, the top five taxpayers in Madison are: CL&P, The Hearth at Tuxis Pond, Mary Lee Stieger, Robert F Schumann, Vigliotti Construction.

Garrity Industries (note the corrected spelling) is on the list as one of the Top 5 employers.

Quote:
We elected a liberal that wants the Board of Ed budgets to bypass the Finance Committee.
Re-read the first four words of the above statement. That's what a representative democracy is all about.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 01-30-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 AM

22,361 posts, read 36,868,718 times
Quote:
Property Taxes. Madison does not have a tax base what so ever. Gerrity the flashlight maker and Klein's Driving Range (yes a driving range) along with the Ford and Chrsysler Auto Dealerships are the biggest tax payers. We elected a liberal that wants the Board of Ed Budgets to bypass the Finance Committe. (70% of town is BOE $). Madison gets no money from the state for schools being it is a 'wealthy' town. $1000 per student I believe we got last year while New Haven and the other 'cities' get close to 6-7k per student.

We spent hardly anything per student and were in the top 5 in the state while NH spent tops and was at the bottom. Shows money is not the key.

The parents 'redshirt' here. Leave kids back in kindergarten for they think they will be the next Tesla, Fermi or Einstein. We have 9th graders driving. My daugher is born in mid Aug and is the youngest in her class; 5 are older then her older sister the grade above whom is born in early July. Cut off is 12/31 so we have kids in May held back. JOKE is it not. "Jimmy is so smart being I left him back" Well he should be being he is 17 months older than most of the kids; if he is not he needs help.

The pre-schools perpetuate this. "we believe Sue being she is born after 07/31 would benefit being held back for kindergarten." Only myself as a CPA (certified public accountant) and a handful of others realize that this is for easy monetary pickings. Scare the parents and they shall stay.
A couple of things. All towns in the State of connecticut receive money from the state for education. Wealthier towns receive less, poorer towns receive more. This is a way of evening out the discreapancies between systems.

Also note that many states do not start children in Kindergarten unless they are 5 years old BEFORE the start of school. I think Connecticut's system of allowing parents to decide when children start as long as they are 5 years old by the end of the year is better. It is more flexible and better suited to the needs of the kid.

Also, I do not think the parent has the option of keeping the kid back a year even if they are 5 earlier in the year unless they are not doing well and the schools agree. Jay

Old 01-30-2008, 02:22 PM

67 posts, read 175,237 times
You made the local paper, the Shore Line Times, with this post!

Shore Line Times - Which town tops?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:30 PM

4,457 posts, read 5,556,532 times
Too bad they would not give the source. City Data.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,698 times
I moved up here to Guilford from Fairfield County a couple of years ago and cannot say enough about this town as well as our neighbor, Madison. Both are wonderful communities with interesting people and both have lots of family events throughout the year. We also have the benefit of being close to New Haven, with several theatres, fabulous restaurants, etc.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by christina0001; 01-30-2008 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,370 times
Thumbs up Some experience...

Hi,

I grew up in Guilford & now live in Madison NJ. I am familiar with Montclair as well. Both Madison & Guilford CT offer great towns - particularly well suited for children. If you are looking to recapture some of the artist type atmosphere, Guilford may be your town. Guilford boasts one of the most well known art centers in the country and holds an annual expo on the town green that attracts artisans from around the world. The town is a bit more diverse in that way. Neither should dissapoint you however.

Both are also close to New Haven which is a lot more like Montclair than anywhere else in CT. New Haven has Yale and loads of restaurants, art festivals, theater etc.

Both Madison & Guilford have great sports programs as well. Guilford also has an a great set of hiking trails yet Madison has a state park with ocean. They are so close so coming from NJ with all the traffic & jug handles getting between these two towns will seem so easy! Staying close to Route 1 will help you in getting around.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:44 PM

Default one more thing...

The person that said that parents "red shirt" in Guilford / Madison -- though I had not heard that term, it is my experience. Moved there in 1977 -- my folks didn't realize this PLUS I was young for my class... it does make a difference.

Also soccer is BIG.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:46 PM

The lack of "red shirt" didn't hurt me either! In fact, it probably helped. Learning to compete early is not a bad thing

Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 AM

5 posts, read 3,042 times
I am not happy here and neither is my husband. If you are superficial, realize cars and bling, bling are more important than this town is great. Yeah it has parades and such, but what town I lived in did not. My husband is a officer in the Army Medical Corps (Doctor) and he marches in with the VFW.

As my name states I am a nurse and my husband is a doctor. We make very well and being we drive a minivan and an US made sedan we are not well off because of the stinking thinking.

I love going to my children's friends' home and seeing a Saab and a Navigator while the house looks like a bomb was in it.

As what our hospital friends say it is only friendly if:

Old 02-05-2008, 05:48 AM

5 posts, read 3,042 times
Default Madison

I am not happy here and neither is my husband. If you are superficial, realize cars and bling, bling are more important than this town is great. Yeah it has parades and such, but what town I lived in did not. My husband is a officer in the Army Medical Corps (Doctor) and he marches in with the VFW (did service in Iraq both times).

As my name states I am a nurse and my husband is a doctor. We make very well and being we drive a minivan and an US made sedan we are not well off because of the stinking thinking.

Don't expect people to thank you for holding a door or holding one for you yourself. I don't know who is more rude kids or parents?

I love going to my children's friends' home and seeing a Saab and a Navigator while the house looks like a bomb was in it.

As what our hospital friends say it is only friendly if:
People think you have money
What car you drive

We don't have a tax base and all they do is build more homes so our property taxes will go up to support the schools. Look I don't want a Wal Mart yet when David Klein of the Klein's driving range wanted to put a mini-golf range in they voted him down. So my time will go to Old Saybrook for mini golf and my money in trickle down effect. Shopping, food, etc and Madison won't get my money. The towns arrogant mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut