U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 AM

22,347 posts, read 36,858,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1 View Post
Jay - tried to give you rep points, but apparently I need to spread the love around before I can do that.
Thanks, let me know if there is anything else you need. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 AM

67 posts, read 175,226 times
in madison south of 80- west of 79 is nice- close to roberts grocery- 10 mins or so to surf club- downtown plus easy access to shopping in guilford- look at the bartlett neighborhood- good size properties

Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 PM

644 posts, read 1,675,346 times
Let me just get my Guilford High School alumnus spirit out of the way: Madison is soulless and has no history but that which it owes to Guilford.

Now to my (more) objective opinion:

Guilford and Madison are both nice. The important difference is cultural. If you're raising kids and you want them to be cosmopolitan, go with Guilford. Madison tends to emphasize an elitism that is founded on monetary wealth and a certain narrow definition of good taste. Guilford has more ties with Branford, New Haven, and Yale, and therefore embraces a more comprehensive cultural variety.

Guilfordites also have easy access to Stony Creek and waters around the Thimble Islands, in Branford, plus the Westwoods hiking trails throughout southern Guilford.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 PM

276 posts, read 1,157,783 times
Thanks familyof6 and Nico!

We are closing on our home at the end of April and will hopefully be living in CT sometime in May! After months of searching online, we have finally found a home that meets all of our requirements in Guilford. We are hoping to put a bid on it sometime next week as we don't want to appear too anxious.

Can any locals give me any advice as far as how the market is going there? Of course I've read all the reports about how terrible the market is, but honestly, it doesn't seem to be affecting this area that way we had hoped it would (since we are buying). Our realtor wants us to put a close to asking price bid on this home that has been on the market for 30 days.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM

22,347 posts, read 36,858,944 times
Quote:

We are closing on our home at the end of April and will hopefully be living in CT sometime in May! After months of searching online, we have finally found a home that meets all of our requirements in Guilford. We are hoping to put a bid on it sometime next week as we don't want to appear too anxious.

Can any locals give me any advice as far as how the market is going there? Of course I've read all the reports about how terrible the market is, but honestly, it doesn't seem to be affecting this area that way we had hoped it would (since we are buying). Our realtor wants us to put a close to asking price bid on this home that has been on the market for 30 days.
Ask your realtor for the statistics on Guilford, but I think that most of the more desirable towns in Connecticut are not having the problems that other places are experiencing. This is just the begining of the selling season in CT and it will be interesting to see how it goes. Jay

Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 AM

644 posts, read 1,675,346 times
Quote:
Can any locals give me any advice as far as how the market is going there? Of course I've read all the reports about how terrible the market is, but honestly, it doesn't seem to be affecting this area that way we had hoped it would (since we are buying).
I know what you mean. My feeling is that many of the prices 600k-1.25M are still inflated, and have the potential to drop by about 15% over the next 18 months, if this current economic crunch continues. Most of the homes priced at 1.5M+ are unique (waterfront, historic, green area), and somebody will eventually offer the asking price. Those may deflate less, proportionally.

My experience is very limited, so I would ask somebody who has bought and sold a number of homes.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:43 AM

113 posts, read 276,101 times
It is a stigma to be north of Rt 80. Believe me. It is also a social status to be on Liberty St or S. in Madison and Sachem's Head in Guilford. However those people tend to be the most normal and not keeping up with the Jones's.

I live in town for 8 years. Madison it is also a Ryerson Stigma.

Jay - Ghetto Riche' means your cars are worth more than your house not that there is a housing project.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 AM

113 posts, read 276,101 times
Quote:
Bumping with a few more questions....

I have found few homes online that I would like to see - however, I noticed they are on a street that has a registered sex offender. All the Ct listing says is "federal conviction". It's a "green offense" on the familywatchdog.com website, which I think means it is not a crime against children. I called the Madison police Department tonight- the officer I spoke to said they don't have anymore info on the sex offender in question than I would have access to on my computer. Since there are only 3 in the town, I'd like to think the police would know a little more - maybe they are not legally allowed to divulge this info? Can someone pm me if they have any info on how I can find out more?

Also, how big of a deal is it to live north of the circle in either Guilford or Madison. A few people we've spoken to have told us that it's very undesirable to live "all the way up there". But since we took a bath on our current home, there is not much we can afford closer to 95. We'd really like to have some useable yard.

If anyone has a home they are looking to sell in the area, please PM me as well!

Thanks,
Kristin

This states list all sexual offenses and does not deviate as for what. A 19 year having sex with a 17 old and consentual could be on it. A smack on the behind along with sexual harrasment.

As for being too north of 95 don't do it. It is bad enough everything is 20 miles away here. Driving 15 minutes to go to the hardware store you don't need. I live 2.5 miles from 95 and it can be a drag. Madison nothing is north of 80. The lower middle school and Ryerson Elementary is 1.5 miles south of 80. All parks and activities are either south of 95 or near it. There is nothing up there. You shall be driving 10 minutes just from the circle to town. Now add what ever time you are north of 80.

Yes there is a stigma too up there. The people up there are the only ones whom don't think so.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM

66 posts, read 181,425 times
I live in Madison and love it.

Last edited by JayCT; 05-05-2008 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,333 times
Default Guilford, Ct

Hello. I live in Guilford, Ct. and love it. We (husband & two boys) moved here 5 1/2 years ago from Fairfield County, Ct. We too wanted to leave the "hustle and bustle" behind and move to the country. Guilford is laid back, much more then Madison...In my opinion that is. The schools are good, the town is very pretty, the people are nice, (people actually say "hello") and the Town Green is when I fell in love. It's the beautiful! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

We are downsizing (Staying in Guilford) and selling our house privately if you are interested.?? Do you have any advice on advertising in your area to sell realestate?

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut