Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 14,433 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I just moved to Newtown, CT from Wisconsin. We are going into the city on Sat. and are debating which train to take, should we get one out of Bridgeport? New Haven or Stamford?

Thanks in advance.
Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,076,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbyplum View Post
Hello all,

My family and I just moved to Newtown, CT from Wisconsin. We are going into the city on Sat. and are debating which train to take, should we get one out of Bridgeport? New Haven or Stamford?

Thanks in advance.
Kim
Bridgeport would give you an hourly (or better) schedule too and from the city and garage parking across the street from the station. I would go there. If you're not comfortable with Bridgeport go to Stamford. If you go to New Haven you are going further from the city and backtracking from Newtown.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 PM

10 posts, read 14,433 times
Thanks, is there a reason we shouldn't go to Bridgeport?

Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbyplum View Post
Thanks, is there a reason we shouldn't go to Bridgeport?
Not that I can think of. Bridgeport has a reputation for crime, however, the area around the train station is safe. I had no problems there at all.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,292,131 times
If one was really that concerned, I would suggest Fairfield over Bridgeport, one stop further down the line. If you're in the northern parts of Newtown near I-84, I'd also suggest Southeast which is off Exit 19 in New York. It's about 10 minutes west of Danbury.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times
I'm a fan of Stamford. IMO it has the most options, is the cleanest and quickest to the city, and also has express runs that are much quicker. It's nice to have options so when you are wandering around the city you are not hamstrung to a certain train and can just say "we'll take the X:15 instead of the X:55 train"

Personally, I like to drive in via the Merit/Hutch/Cross County (It's just one highway with multiple names) to the Westside Highway. Super easy, just pick a street at the point you want to head in (Uptown, Midtown etc) and find a "park it place" and go enjoy the city and leave at your leisure. The "lots" (They are in high rises buildings) are clean, well lit and the rates are not that bad and can be actually cheaper if you have a lot of people with you taking the train with multiple tickets.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 AM

34,651 posts, read 56,427,911 times
I think you would still have to pay for parking in Bridgeport or Stamford on weekends. On a Saturday or Sunday, I would go to Fairfield. It would be free and is safe. Plus there are many trains. I also agree about driving in, particularly if you have a car-full of people that would cost a lot for train tickets. Parking in a lot in Manhattan may be cheaper. Jay

Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,942,079 times
As Jay said, you will have to pay to park in Bridgeport, Norwalk and Stamford. Take the train out of Fairfield or Darien - free parking.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Actually Jay and Kid are right, you will have to pay in Bridgeport, New Haven or Stamford on the weekend. Fairfield might be your best bet. I'm not a fan of driving in at all. Driving in, sitting in traffic, finding parking can all be stressful... But then again, I am only paying for my own train ticket!

Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM

79 posts, read 202,922 times
If my destination is the eastside, village, or downtown will usually just train it in from Stamford. If on the west side (for the theatre) we'll drive and use parking coupons from Central or Icon. It's not that crazy on a Saturday, even during the holidays, especially accessing from the West Side Highway.

The parking at Stamford Station will cost around 8 dollars, but it really does afford you the most options.

Have fun. My wife is from Wisconsin and though she was intimidated at first by the city, she does love it. Plus it's warmer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut