U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,175 times

Advertisements

We are looking for family freindly towns in CT. We are a family of 4 with kids ages 6 and 3 considering a move to Guilford or Madison. We have family in NJ (where I was born and raised - and am reluctant to leave!) and RI, and work for ourselves with clients in NYC (2 trips in per month). My husband originally from RI, is looking for a more laid back New England lifestyle, more house/space for the money, and lower property taxes. We want great schools, and a strong sense of community. We thought going beyond Fairfield county would be more affordable but still close enough to the city. How do these towns compare? Other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 AM

22,048 posts, read 36,355,256 times
Madison and Guilford are great towns. both have nice small town centers and excellent schools. Madison is a little more upscale than Guilford. I would not recommend commuting to New York though from these towns. It would be a pretty long commute on a daily basis. Jay

Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 AM

67 posts, read 174,014 times
PL,

We live in Madison and love it.

For whatever reason, this is a popular landing spot for people from NJ- we have a lot of friends that moved here from there

We moved from Fairfield 9 years ago for the reasons you cite.

We looked at Guilford as well.

Both are great towns; decision points for us were- schools were rated a little higher, beaches are a little better- less commercial/ retail in Madison (but close enough to Guilford to take advantage of)- "feel" of the downtown/ community, ie a parade for every occasion, book store, specialty shops, coffee shops...

We have no regrets- schools are outstanding (we have 4 children), sports for everyone- ours play lax, soccer, gymnastics, football, baseball, bball, etc; plus bball and softball for adults and a great Newcomers program to help with your transition

As far as NYC, the trip is 2 hours- I go in 4 times or so a month for work- plus the Acela runs from Old Saybrook and New Haven for longer trips

My parents live in North Kingstown, Rhode Island- 1 hour 10 mins away- easy ride- with a lot of good meet-up spots in between

Most homes come with at least a half acre- some considerably more-

Summers are fantastic with lots of family activities

All in all a great town and very social

Feel free to pm us if we can help

Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM

271 posts, read 1,112,868 times
Shore Line East/Commuter Rail Service Between New Haven and New London

Guilford and Madison both have train stations on the Shoreline East commuter train. Currently there are two express trains to Stamford where you can transfer to the Metro-North train into the city.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM

276 posts, read 1,148,494 times
We are moving from Northern NJ to this area as well. We also have 2 small kids. We've been house hunting for the last 4 months or so, but have not been able to sell our home in NJ.

I think we would be equally happy in either Madison or Guilford. Both seem like great towns. I've been a little disappointed with what I'm finding on the market right now though. I thought I'd find more older colonials. Instead I'm finding alot of outdated 70's-styled homes with their original kitchens and baths. Everything has so much more land than what we have in NJ! We are hopeful we will find THE house for us once inventory is up in the spring.

I've done all the research on preschools and daycares, so let me know if you need additional info!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 AM

66 posts, read 296,092 times
Both are equal almost. Madison thinks it ihas the incomes New Canaan, CT; Bronxville, NY or Greenwich with Styvessant or Bronx Hall of Science schools. Joking. If you drive a Volvo or Land Rover you are considered rich.

I find it a very unfriendly place: a lot of false snobbery. They drive a BMW so they are rich, yet they live in an ok 1970's 2300sqft colonial decorated by IKEA and Bob's Discount Furniture. Ghetto

These people don't know money. I wish I stayed back in Ridgefield, CT

As for the NYC commute I do it twice a month and it is hell on earth. Commute to Fairfield County is hell ten times over. You have to drive 20 minutes to get anything here. The resturants are terrible; period.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 AM

Property Taxes. Madison does not have a tax base what so ever. Gerrity the flashlight maker and Klein's Driving Range (yes a driving range) along with the Ford and Chrsysler Auto Dealerships are the biggest tax payers. We elected a liberal that wants the Board of Ed Budgets to bypass the Finance Committe. (70% of town is BOE $). Madison gets no money from the state for schools being it is a 'wealthy' town. $1000 per student I believe we got last year while New Haven and the other 'cities' get close to 6-7k per student.

We spent hardly anything per student and were in the top 5 in the state while NH spent tops and was at the bottom. Shows money is not the key.

The parents 'redshirt' here. Leave kids back in kindergarten for they think they will be the next Tesla, Fermi or Einstein. We have 9th graders driving. My daugher is born in mid Aug and is the youngest in her class; 5 are older then her older sister the grade above whom is born in early July. Cut off is 12/31 so we have kids in May held back. JOKE is it not. "Jimmy is so smart being I left him back" Well he should be being he is 17 months older than most of the kids; if he is not he needs help.

The pre-schools perpetuate this. "we believe Sue being she is born after 07/31 would benefit being held back for kindergarten." Only myself as a CPA (certified public accountant) and a handful of others realize that this is for easy monetary pickings. Scare the parents and they shall stay.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 AM

395 posts, read 1,726,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofCT View Post

The parents 'redshirt' here. Leave kids back in kindergarten for they think they will be the next Tesla, Fermi or Einstein. We have 9th graders driving. My daugher is born in mid Aug and is the youngest in her class; 5 are older then her older sister the grade above whom is born in early July. Cut off is 12/31 so we have kids in May held back. JOKE is it not. "Jimmy is so smart being I left him back" Well he should be being he is 17 months older than most of the kids; if he is not he needs help.

The pre-schools perpetuate this. "we believe Sue being she is born after 07/31 would benefit being held back for kindergarten."
I have found that it is quite common throughout Fairfield County for parents to hold back their child who has a late birthday. We did the same with our oldest child, who is now a senior in high school. Almost all of his friends were held back one year, too. It wasn't because we wanted "smarter" kids, we just felt that sending a 4 year old to kindergarten was a bit young. He was more independent and less clingy with me by the following year, much better prepared for kindergarten.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 AM

I am not talking about kids born in Nov or Dec. I am talking like April and May.

I went regular and graduated at 17. I have a BS in accounting, MBA in statistics, MA in history and doctorate work in business and a post masters from the prestigious London School of Economics. I was born end of Oct. I went into college with 21 credits. Glad my parents did not redshirt or I would have been dumbed down.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 AM

395 posts, read 1,726,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofCT View Post
I am not talking about kids born in Nov or Dec. I am talking like April and May.

I went regular and graduated at 17. I have a BS in accounting, MBA in statistics, MA in history and doctorate work in business and a post masters from the prestigious London School of Economics. I was born end of Oct. I went into college with 21 credits. Glad my parents did not redshirt or I would have been dumbed down.
I don't feel my son, whose birthday is in October, was "dumbed down" at all. He will be attending college this fall along with his "dumbed down" friends. I don't understand your concept of being "dumbed down". Although, I was held back myself from kindergarten one year because of my late birthday, so maybe it "dumbed me down", too. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut