Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — A new report releaed by Bloomberg Business says some parts of Connecticut are getting ditched.
“I want to move somewhere else. I mean I don’t want to live in the same spot for 20 years,” said New Haven resident Shaamsuldhin Ashiq.
“Certainly it’s discouraging. I got to believe that there’s been up and down trends in the past and we’re still busy. My business is still busy,” said Milford Photo’s Jesse Thompson.

“New Haven is better than Fairfield county in my opinion. There’s a lot more to do here,” said Ashiq.

New Haven and Milford area came in 3rd, at number 5 sat the Hartford area, and 6th was Bridgeport, Stamford and Norwalk.

"The New Haven public schools have seen a jump in enrollment and the Department of Economic Development says the city has grown and is growing boasting 3-thousand new apartments are being built. We are very fortunate in the state of Connecticut of all the regions New Haven’s doing the best,” said Rescigno."

These Are the Top 20 Cities Americans Are Ditching - Bloomberg Business

Bloomberg: Connecticut is Getting Ditched | WTNH Connecticut News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 02:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
3 of the top 10 metropolitan areas that are losing population in the U.S. are within CT, which is jaw dropping. CT has lost population for two years in a row now. People are leaving. Corporations are leaving. Taxes are being applied to more things, young people are leaving in droves, retirees are leaving, home values are stagnating, traffic and infrastructure is obscenely horrific, income inequality is the highest in the nation, and jobs are scarce.

I'm not hating or bashing on CT (I think it's a desirable place to live), but sadly, this is the reality now. But after YEARS of continued Republican governorship from Rowland and Rell, it will take Malloy a VERY long time to clean up the mess.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:54 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
From that map, a lot of major metropolitan areas are losing people, but there will also likely be large amounts of population moving into those places. Chicago, LA, NYC ect will always be desirable places to live with people moving to them to always offset any population decline.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:57 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Hasn't this been talked to death on this forum already? The number show a lot of Babyboomers are retiring and moving out of state which is why the drop. No big surprise here people. Jay

Old 07-22-2015, 02:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hasn't this been talked to death on this forum already? The number show a lot of Babyboomers are retiring and moving out of state which is why the drop. No big surprise here people. Jay
I think it's more than just retirees. A lot of it is young people, too. I saw something that showed that 55% of high school graduates in CT end up leaving CT for the long term. I did it. My brother did it, too.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:03 PM

453 posts, read 531,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think it's more than just retirees. A lot of it is young people, too. I saw something that showed that 55% of high school graduates in CT end up leaving CT for the long term. I did it. My brother did it, too.
I have thought about doing an unscientific data collection of Facebook friends I graduated high school with to determine the percentage. A good number moved out of state.

On the flip side, I can only think of 2 friends I have who moved to CT from another state. Again, this is purely personal.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:45 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
3 of the top 10 metropolitan areas that are losing population in the U.S. are within CT, which is jaw dropping. CT has lost population for two years in a row now. People are leaving. Corporations are leaving. Taxes are being applied to more things, young people are leaving in droves, retirees are leaving, home values are stagnating, traffic and infrastructure is obscenely horrific, income inequality is the highest in the nation, and jobs are scarce.

I'm not hating or bashing on CT (I think it's a desirable place to live), but sadly, this is the reality now. But after YEARS of continued Republican governorship from Rowland and Rell, it will take Malloy a VERY long time to clean up the mess.
Did they ban you from the Ohio message boards or just here to jab? Rowland certainly wasn't our best head of state but Malloy is THE architect of CT's abject failure of late. He evangelized a budget that nearly eliminated our largest and best employers from having a presence at all. He is responsible for two of the largest tax hikes in the history of the state and continues to focus on wealth redistribution particularly in the SW corner rather than balancing a budget. Our expenses are up over 40% since he took office which is completely unsustainable. You haven't been missed so move along with your baiting.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think you downplay the problem. Connecticut is a fine place to live if you have a high income, but it is getting worse and worse for everyone else. I love it here but I question whether I can remain after I retire. The cost of living is so.high, Malloy and his flunkees keep raising taxes and it has a terrible inheritance tax. The government is becoming a kleptocracy looking to take more and more of our money for ineffective and unsustainable spending.

We should recognize the problem and try to fix it. There's a reason so many are leaving. I even think we're.doing worse than our neighbors New York and Massachusetts, which is a reversal of previous trends. We seem to be in a race to the bottom.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think you downplay the problem. Connecticut is a fine place to live if you have a high income, but it is getting worse and worse for everyone else. I love it here but I question whether I can remain after I retire. The cost of living is so.high, Malloy and his flunkees keep raising taxes and it has a terrible inheritance tax. The government is becoming a kleptocracy looking to take more and more of our money for ineffective and unsustainable spending.

We should recognize the problem and try to fix it. There's a reason so many are leaving. I even think we're.doing worse than our neighbors New York and Massachusetts, which is a reversal of previous trends. We seem to be in a race to the bottom.
New York's unemployment rate is 5.6 percent which is not much less than Connecticut's 5.7 percent. Massachusetts is doing much better but Rhode Island and New Jersey are doing much worse. I am not saying we do not have problems and need to do better but how many times does the media need to regurgitate he same data. This came out months ago, was talked to death here and is now back again. Enough. Jay

Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Also the article is not actually providing overall net population gains/losses, but rather only on a domestic basis. Including immigration from outside the US, Nyc and FfC are realizing overall population gains. The article did call out three rust belt cities, including two in Ohio for losing the largest population on a combined domestic/immigration basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut