Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM

49 posts, read 159,344 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband has a job offer in E Hartford. We have 3 small children so I would like to know what towns nearby have good schools. We are moving from TX, so it will be quite a change! Also, I would like a family friendly town- I will be a SAHM mom. It does not need to be a nanny/BMW town- not our style. We are much more budget conscious! Something on the more affordable side would be great.

Thanks so much- we do not know alot about CT so are kind of lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Connecticut is a typical New England/northeastern state. Prices are high for real estate, as well as taxes.

Much depends on your move regarding income, and what you can afford for rent or to buy a house. Medium house price in the Hartford area is about 260K- towns east of Hartford will be cheaper- A new home in Vernon, Ellington and other towns will range from 245K and up for 3 bedr0oms 1.5 baths. Older homes will start at about 195K and up-

Taxes for real estate will range from 2500 to 5000k a year for a newer home, depending on assessed value. Older homes will be less for taxes. Autos and trucks are taxed locally (the town you reside) There is a 6% sales tax (none on groceries, prescriptions) State income tax of 4.5%, No county taxes.

Towns to consider are Manchester, Vernon, South Windsor, Ellington, Willington,Tolland, Somers, Bolton, Willington & Coventry all east of the Connecticut river and a easy commute to East Hartford.

Better schools will be in South Windsor, Bolton,Willington, Ellington,Somers, Tolland & Coventry- though schools in Vernon and Manchester are good.

Connecticut has easy coastal access, cultural assets that are global, and a genteel population that is diverse and tolerant.

Last edited by skytrekker; 01-26-2008 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 12:48 PM

12 posts, read 99,456 times
I'm in the same situation as you are except we are in Louisiana. Sent you a direct message.

angel

Old 01-27-2008, 06:49 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
You might want to consider Glastonbury. It has an excellent school system (one of the best in the State) and is a great place to raise a family. There is a lot of great shopping, restaurant and family activities offered here and the town is convenient to East Hartford as well as most of the rest of the hartford area. Many people that work at Pratt & Whitney live in town because of its convenience.

Glastonbury offers a wide range of housing options as well, from modest apartments to mansions. The northend of town is the most affordable and most convenient to just about everything you want. I live there and can tell you that the school there, Naubuc is escellent. in fact, I was recently talking with a mother whose home was redistricted out of Naubuc (the added a new school and had to shift all of the school districts around) and she noted that she preferred Naubuc because of the community atmoshere there. she found Naubuc had a lot more activities and the PTO was a lot more involved and did a lot more for the school. Naubuc is a lot more diverse than the other schools as well which is great since your kids get to meet and be friends with a wide range of people. It is also nice that the kids get to see that not everyone's mom and dad are well off professionals that can afford to give them everything they want.

Let me know if you have any questions, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut