Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times

Advertisements

America's Most Dangerous Cities: 4 Are In CT | East Haven, CT Patch

I would be curious to know why New Haven is so high on this list. Do the posters on here think there are so many colleges and rape is being reported by young woman in college and that is making the violent crime statistic go up?

I feel safer in downtown New Haven than downtown Bridgeport so I can't understand why New Haven is so high on these lists year after year. I was hoping to see New Haven go DOWN on these lists and hopefully not be on the list by the time I move to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
I really don't feel safe in either city ha. Been told by co worker's not to walk outside with any jewelry on in Bridgeport. I get super nervous driving in Waterbury, Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven freaks me out that's what makes me feel unsafe.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:09 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
When in Ct, I also avoid both New Haven and Bridgeport, but I do suspect from what I have read and stats I have seen, NH is slightly more dangerous at this time. They have flip-flopped for decades, so Bridgeport will surpass NH again in crime at some point.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:27 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
I've lived in Hartford for many years and the only time I've feared my life was back in the 1980's. Hartford isn't as bad as people think. It has a negative reputation towards suburbanites. Hartford of course has its bad areas but you just need to have common sense and you'll be fine. Don't walk around in dark areas and don't follow people after seeing a drug deal. Just stay out of people's business that you know cause trouble. As for New Haven, downtown is fine. Downtown New Haven has more foot traffic and studies show that if there's more people walking around or more activity then less crime occurs. This shows because downtown New Haven has a lot of young college students and workers. Pretty much every downtown from 5 of CT's major cities are safe. Just the outer neighborhoods that people need to worry about. I think Bridgeport looks worse than any other major city in CT because of urban decay. Many factories were left to rust and it gives an appearance like the city is in a horror movie. So people avoid it and when people avoid it then less people are around so it's easier to commit a crime. Arson, home invasions, and armed robbery are known crimes in Bridgeport.

Last edited by HumpDay; 08-30-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Speaking of arson wondering if WTBY police think a serial arson with the recent mill fires in the city think 4 or 5 this year.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:57 AM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
Does it matter? 2 reporters were shot dead in rural Virginia, Sandy Hook happened in a small American town, everywhere you go is unsafe nowadays.

I was safer as an American soldier serving during Operation Joint Endeavor then I am as a civilian going to a church, movie theater, or school campus.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Does it matter? 2 reporters were shot dead in rural Virginia, Sandy Hook happened in a small American town, everywhere you go is unsafe nowadays.

I was safer as an American soldier serving during Operation Joint Endeavor then I am as a civilian going to a church, movie theater, or school campus.
Then, you should be pleased to know that, in reality crime is lower than previous decades. The reason that crime is reported on the news is that it's sensational and scares people into watching.

So, turn off the news and go outside.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:21 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Didn't realize New London was that dangerous.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:24 PM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
Violent society we have. Black on white violence, white on black violence, does not help the issues we're trying to resolve. People don't get that if black and whites stood together our nation would be one nobody would want to mess with, when our people are divided, the media continues to feed the fears of the people, we lose our strength as a country and we become so involved with fighting with each other, we forget that terrorist cells and other criminal elements roam freely within our borders planning the next great American tragedy.

We need to pay attention to who are true enemies are, and 98% of the time its not the Mexican, Africa-American, or White Man, its street gangs, Jihadists, poverty, low income neighborhoods, lack of access to education, high tuition costs, our jobs being sent overseas, lack of apprenticeships in the skilled trades, these are all the real threats to the American people., regardless of color.

We need to wake up and stand together and stop all this nonsense about flags, racism, senseless shootings, beatings in the street, drugs, all this toxic activity is costing us our country.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:47 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Downtown New Haven has more foot traffic and studies show that if there's more people walking around or more activity then less crime occurs. This shows because downtown New Haven has a lot of young college students and workers.
That is how I feel. When I go into New Haven for the day with my husband we are walking around the green area which I assume is part of downtown. We always feel safe walking in and around the green area. We even walk to Wooster Street from the green and feel safe.

There are so many colleges in New Haven and there is always more crime in the college towns. I wonder if this is the reason New Haven is getting so high on the list. If you think about it New Haven is technically a city but it is really like a big town with a lot of colleges concentrated in it. I wonder if this is what is skewing the numbers to make New Haven look worse than reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut