Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Do You Want To Win?
Donald Trump 44 45.83%
Jeb Bush 1 1.04%
Scott Walker 1 1.04%
Mike Huckabee 0 0%
Ben Carson 1 1.04%
Ted Cruz 8 8.33%
Marco Rubio 13 13.54%
Rand Paul 4 4.17%
Chris Christie 5 5.21%
John Kasich 5 5.21%
Other 14 14.58%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Agree. And I believe good and decent people all over would never refer to a mentally handicapped person as a "retard." But on the flip side I would defend to high hell an a - hole's right to use that word if he/she wanted to. I guess I'm just becoming very uncomfortable with how accepting many people are with allowing their thoughts and speech to be censored by the PC police, without any question at all. Especially young ones...
I can see that...

I don't believe in regulating speech-- However beyond that, if someone expresses their displeasure with "un-PC" speech they are using THEIR right to free speech.

And the government is not regulating speech. No one is going to jail for saying anything. You have freedom of speech, not freedom of reprecussions from irresponsible speech.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
But the question then is who gets to judge what is "irresponsible." In this example, it is a professor who has decided she will not tolerate seeing or hearing these words. (Sounds to me like she is the one with the problem and perhaps is intellectually stunted with an emotional IQ to match). And the end result is going to be students adjusting/self-censoring their thoughts and speech to please her in order to achieve a passing grade. Not much of an education IMO, other than a first-hand demonstration of what the antithesis of a free and open society looks like. It's a very gray area which is quite concerning to me. I think you and I are in agreement that neither of us want to limit another's free speech. I have a big problem though when someone in a position of authority, like this woman holds, wants to do exactly that.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,324 times
What does Connecticut think of Jeb Bush?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
I personally haven't thought too hard on any of the contenders. There are too many for my liking at the moment so I haven't paid attention to any of them. Looking forward to the field narrowing quite a bit so I can start focusing/researching. Two or three I kind of like for different reasons. Jeb doesn't get me too excited though. But I'd vote for him if I had to.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
But the question then is who gets to judge what is "irresponsible." In this example, it is a professor who has decided she will not tolerate seeing or hearing these words. (Sounds to me like she is the one with the problem and perhaps is intellectually stunted with an emotional IQ to match). And the end result is going to be students adjusting/self-censoring their thoughts and speech to please her in order to achieve a passing grade. Not much of an education IMO, other than a first-hand demonstration of what the antithesis of a free and open society looks like. It's a very gray area which is quite concerning to me. I think you and I are in agreement that neither of us want to limit another's free speech. I have a big problem though when someone in a position of authority, like this woman holds, wants to do exactly that.
Fair point... We're getting way o/t here, but I certainly see your point and I think we agree that curtailing free speech is dangerous.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think he's even on the radar here at this point.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,846 times
I like the outsider concept. Electing people who have not achieved anything or helped make progress will only lead to more of the same. I actually like a Trump/Carson ticket. That would be an interesting combo to put up against the democratic social twist.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I like the outsider concept. Electing people who have not achieved anything or helped make progress will only lead to more of the same. I actually like a Trump/Carson ticket. That would be an interesting combo to put up against the democratic social twist.
Except you are pretending that winning elected office is not achieving anything.... I would assume if you were to be elected to congress you would consider that quite an accomplishment.

I would think that the skills required to win and serve in public office are probably more relevant experience for a president than the experience of a boorish billionaire/reality tv star or surgeon who believes in literal bible interpretation...

Old 08-31-2015, 11:54 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Thought Trump wants Allen B. West to be his VP. To bad Allen isn't running for the Rep. Presidential race.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:22 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Donald Trump (Businessman)
Jeb Bush (Former FL Gov)
Scott Walker (Wisconsin Gov)
Mike Huckabee (Former Arkansas Gov)
Ben Carson (Neurosurgeon)
Ted Cruz (Texas Sen)
Marco Rubio (FL Sen)
Rand Paul (KY Sen)
Chris Christie (NJ Gov)
John Kasich (Ohio Gov)
Other

I like Chris Chris Christie.

I will write in a write in candidate.....myself. I couldn't possibly do a worse job then these fools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut