Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:17 PM

222 posts, read 344,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Hartford and Bridgeport are in different leagues. They would never play each other. The Bridgeport team does play against the New Britain team.
Oh i see. Well new Britain -Bridgeport would be a nice one then. Too bad Hartford isn't in the same league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 09:06 AM

8,404 posts, read 4,458,154 times
The Yard Goats will be a AA team playing in the Eastern league as an affiliate for the Colorado Rockies.

Eastern League Members:
Akron RubberDucks
Altoona Curve
Binghamton Mets
Bowie BaySox
Erie SeaWolves
Harrisburg Senators
NH Fischer Cats
Portland Sea Dogs
Reading Fightin Phils
Richmond Flying Squirrels
Trenton Thunder

I don't know if any of these teams would be rivals. Three of them however might help attendance as they are affiliated with the MLB teams that residents of CT follow - Portland (Red Sox), Trenton (Yankees), and Binghamton (Mets).

Old 01-10-2016, 09:48 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,543,664 times
Binghamton rarely bumped the crowd when they came here. With Trenton it varied. Bring one of their players down on a rehab assignment and then watch the fun. I remember Phil Hughes was here once for the Yankees. Decent crowd? Yes. Sold out? NOPE! Portland played here quite frequently (too much, it seemed!).

I know I live in New England, but I just hope the new team and management here doesn't kiss as much Red Sox hiney as the Rock Cats staff did. They never sounded too enthusiastic when Trenton came to town.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 AM

34,693 posts, read 56,487,992 times
This has been on the news and I really thought it was kind of nasty. The former New Britain Rock Cats, now the Hartford Yard Goats, owe the City of New Britain nearly $150,000 for utilities during their last season at New Britain Stadium. The agreement between the team and the city is that the city pays the bills and then invoices the team. New Britain Mayor Stewart went on TV demanding the team pay up. The kicker is that the agreement states that the team has four months to pay the bill BUT they only were given the bill two days earlier. What the heck is the Mayor doing demanding payment when the team literally just got the bill. Conveniently the media coverage I saw, noted this at the very end so it kind of makes the team look like they are deadbeats when the truth is they said they will pay the bill in the time period they are allotted. I really just lost some respect for Mayor Stewart who I know is one of the Republican's rising young stars. Keep your mouth shut until you have something to really complain about. This definitely looked like a political publicity play and the media fell for it. I did write the Courant reporter an email questioning this and plan to do the same thing for Channel 3. Jay

New Britain demands utility payments from Yard Goats | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 01-28-2016, 06:27 PM

814 posts, read 906,357 times
Connecticut needs a pro team. Also baseball has history in Ct, Wiffle Ball was invented in 1953 in Fairfield Connecticut.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Connecticut needs a pro team. Also baseball has history in Ct, Wiffle Ball was invented in 1953 in Fairfield Connecticut.
I believe the company is still here. Based in Shelton now. Jay

Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 PM

33,798 posts, read 16,800,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post

Never happen. West Haven and New Haven have floundered with minor league clubs, and the Bluefish are below average attendance in their league every single year.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:31 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,283,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Never happen. West Haven and New Haven have floundered with minor league clubs, and the Bluefish are below average attendance in their league every single year.
Baseball is a no but hockey is a yes. Hockey is probably the only sport we can get in CT because of our reputation with the Whalers. UCONN at the XL Center in Hartford has been a success with record breaking attendance as well as decent attendance for the Wolf Pack (though AHL hockey doesn't get much support). I went to the hockey game on Saturday and it was packed. Baseball is a dying sport anyways and MLB isn't really interested in expanding. It's tough for CT to get a sports franchise because we're stuck between Boston and NYC. The northeastern market is over saturated with 5 major sport cities within 3 hours of CT. If CT was isolated from other markets then we would most likely have a team.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
And yet at the other end you have the New Britain Rock Cats which had close to the highest attendance rate, if not the highest, in their division. Imagine that! Jay

Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM

9,845 posts, read 7,599,084 times
CT has a pro lacrosse team Black Wolves and a WNBA team the Conneticut Sun. I could also see a pro soccer team survive in CT. As far as pro baseball need team's affiliated with the Red Soxs and the Yankees in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut