U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 AM

25,806 posts, read 41,757,709 times

Advertisements

The state has put the building of a second train station in Bridgeport on the back burner. The station would have been built on the city's East Side at the old Remington Arms site and would serve both Metro North and Amtrak trains. At a ridiculous $300 million, I don't blame them. That is an insane amount of money for a train station that would be located in the middle of a kind of vast wasteland. It seems too ambitious and expensive for that area. Originally it was projected for the station to cost $48 million which is more in line with the cost of other new stations on the line (West Haven, Fairfield Metro Center). Not sure how its cost ballooned 600%+. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...s-13556222.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:34 AM

1,074 posts, read 770,642 times
I thought the train station Bridgeport has now wasn't that old? I know the bus terminal was done some time in the past 10 years or so.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
I thought the train station Bridgeport has now wasn't that old? I know the bus terminal was done some time in the past 10 years or so.
The downtown Bridgeport train station is older than you think. I believe it was built in 1975 so it is over 44 years old now. The new station though was not going to replace the one downtown. It was to be an additional station serving the East Side. That is why the $300 million price tag is so ridiculous. Even if it was replacing the downtown station, the price is ridiculous. Glad to see CTDOT agrees. Jay

Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Another building and the marina is about to open in Steel Point. Great news. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...s-13742467.php

Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 PM

The amphitheater at the old Bluefish stadium is coming along. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...h-13763483.php

Old 04-13-2019, 10:48 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,339,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

If it was any company other than Live Nation I'd have my doubts about this particular project. But they have a proven track record and a good eye for venues so I'm alright with it.

My bug question is how the city allows those lots across the street to not be developed to their potential. Magic Johnson had a great idea and vision, but having a tallish parking tower on one of the far corners and allow for two to three storey buildings for a CT version of Temple Square seems like a home run. Flat parking spaces are a scourge in urban areas to be honest... Johnson's plan at least would've added a little extra.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
If it was any company other than Live Nation I'd have my doubts about this particular project. But they have a proven track record and a good eye for venues so I'm alright with it.

My bug question is how the city allows those lots across the street to not be developed to their potential. Magic Johnson had a great idea and vision, but having a tallish parking tower on one of the far corners and allow for two to three storey buildings for a CT version of Temple Square seems like a home run. Flat parking spaces are a scourge in urban areas to be honest... Johnson's plan at least would've added a little extra.
Like many developments proposed but never built, the developers just did not come up with the money to build them. They all sound nice but that does not get things funded or built. Hopefully this new venue will help change that and attract a developer that can get the job done. Jay

Old 04-29-2019, 03:08 PM

18,248 posts, read 7,055,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

It remains a stupid idea. However, Bluefish were dying financially.

Unless city gets street full of offices and open late restaurants around it, attendance at any venue will lag other similar venues elsewhere. Fish were dead last attendance majority of the last decade. Build the non special venue economy first, people will feel safer attending.

Hockey attendance in city is also below league average.

Too much vacant land in the area makes suburban folks feel unsafe. Activity matters. sunrise to late night.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:57 PM

1,074 posts, read 770,642 times
Plus the view of the power plant and the "WEBE 108" transmitter isn't too inviting either. I went to one lone game at the ball park. I absolutely hated it!

Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 PM

18,248 posts, read 7,055,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
Plus the view of the power plant and the "WEBE 108" transmitter isn't too inviting either. I went to one lone game at the ball park. I absolutely hated it!
It's not an inviting area. Looks deserted. For a lengthy distance.

At the very least, the Metro North passageway should be open, all events, and lead directly to the entrance of both Webster and the amphitheater. Not just a few blocks away.

It should have an armed cop, both ways on it, during all events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or