Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 AM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
If I have a fantasy about all of this, it's that they'll do something with all those abandoned warehouses and clean them up and turn them into loft units. I'm glad to hear there's an interest in cleaning up Bridgeport, but it shouldn't be limited to just downtown. This is a mistake that cities make all too often: They focus their attention solely on either just downtown or the outskirts of it, gentrify it and think everything is done. It's the outlying, lower density areas that truly need resucitating. I realize this would be a huge undertaking, but if the environmental cleanup costs didn't make it prohibitive it could be a huge boon to the city. Just my $0.02
The problem with those warehouses is the cost to remediate is too high. Unfortunately it's not Williamsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The problem with those warehouses is the cost to remediate is too high. Unfortunately it's not Williamsburg.
And that's my message for would-be developers: Bridgeport is not the new Brooklyn (nor should it be.) I get the feeling there's an interest in some people to make it that way. This city does have potential but I don't see it ever having the same draw as one of the outer boroughs for several reasons:
1. Too far a commute to Grand Central
2. Not enough entertainment or cultural amenities to attract and keep young people
3. Lack of mixture of older and newer buildings (which typically create a healthy mix of tenants due to economics)
4. Crime. Even in the worst of times when the boro was best known for its worst areas (Brownsville, Bed Stuy, Bushwick, East Flatbush, East New York), Brooklyn still had fashionable areas (Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Windsor Terrace) and decent middle class areas (Marine Park, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge). Bridgeport actually used to be a popular place not just for its manufacturing but it had theaters, shopping, and attractions, but for decades now it's become mostly synonymous with blight and crime. There are nice areas to be sure (North End Bridgeport is VERY nice), but that's not what comes to mind for most people. In order to change that, that whole area along the I-95 corridor will need a facelift. And you're right, it would be VERY expensive. Depending on how serious developers are about improving that will determine how that area turns out. We'll see, I guess.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:11 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
BPT commute to GCT would be terrible except for the few folks who'd bear it, but, it's very central to Stamford, Norwalk, and New Haven.

I agree. The I-95 sector of Bridgeport is such an eyesore. It's a shame to see that in Connecticut. I'm seriously hoping BPT and Hartford can eventually recover decades down the line. I don't have much hope for Waterbury, unfortunately.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:24 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
BPT commute to GCT would be terrible except for the few folks who'd bear it, but, it's very central to Stamford, Norwalk, and New Haven.

I agree. The I-95 sector of Bridgeport is such an eyesore. It's a shame to see that in Connecticut. I'm seriously hoping BPT and Hartford can eventually recover decades down the line. I don't have much hope for Waterbury, unfortunately.
From Waterbury feel a lot of empty promises since the 70s. After the mix master was built they were suppose to rebuild homes/parks empty lot's where houses were acquired by imminent domain. However, with Waterbury, I feel it has some better neighborhoods from Bridgeport...especially Town Plot area/Historic District...the area near Unionville. However, not much in terms of job growth in Waterbury. The thing however, is they have downtown that can easily be turned around,but fear not much money to do so. I mean you have an amazing Brew Pub where Dreschers use to be. You have the Palace theater you have UCONN. A magnet school downtown with a Catholic school. Also have the Basicalla there. The YMCA. You have some interesting restaurants. Not really sure what you can do with the Green.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:41 PM

104 posts, read 99,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post

I don't think the I-95 sector is an eyesore. I too love those old warehouses -- such beautiful rich-colored brick and big windows. I love the steeples from the many churches that dot the town. It makes me think of immigrant & working class families for whom religion gave hope and strength. You can see tree tops too. So much more interesting than a bunch of sterile glass boxes reflecting heat & glare from the sun.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
It will probably look like this

Hampton Inn planned for Bridgeport

Old 09-03-2015, 09:13 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
From Waterbury feel a lot of empty promises since the 70s. After the mix master was built they were suppose to rebuild homes/parks empty lot's where houses were acquired by imminent domain. However, with Waterbury, I feel it has some better neighborhoods from Bridgeport...especially Town Plot area/Historic District...the area near Unionville. However, not much in terms of job growth in Waterbury. The thing however, is they have downtown that can easily be turned around,but fear not much money to do so. I mean you have an amazing Brew Pub where Dreschers use to be. You have the Palace theater you have UCONN. A magnet school downtown with a Catholic school. Also have the Basicalla there. The YMCA. You have some interesting restaurants. Not really sure what you can do with the Green.
Do you even know anything about Bridgeport? Bridgeport has a lot of great neighborhoods. Black Rock is an attractive urban village with many nice shops and restaurants, a stunning waterfront park and beautiful homes overlooking Long Island Sound. Waterbury has nothing comparable. Bridgeports North End is a very nice section with a lot of nice single and multi family homes. This section makes up a good quarter of the city. The Beardsley Park neighborhood is also very nice with many nice homes adjacent to beautiful Beardsley Park and Zoo. Bridgeport also has the University of Bridgeport and a portion of Sacred Heart University. And there is also the wonderful Downtown Caberet Theater for shows and the Klein Memorial for cultural events. Plus Bridgeport has direct train access to New York which Waterbury does not have. Jay

Old 09-04-2015, 08:18 AM

Looks like they are going to build a Hampton Inn in Steel Point to go along with the Bass Pro Shop, Chipolte, Starbucks, T Mobile, and movie theaters. This is great. Now maybe they can build some residential buildings and the area may be pretty nice after all. Jay

Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Looks like they are going to build a Hampton Inn in Steel Point to go along with the Bass Pro Shop, Chipolte, Starbucks, T Mobile, and movie theaters. This is great. Now maybe they can build some residential buildings and the area may be pretty nice after all. Jay

tiny area next to the highway* when u cross the bridge there is 40-60% poverty rate and struggling schools/families

I am not sure if movie theater will last there and Chipolte and Starbucks is not important when tons of them in nearby suburbs. Brass Pro Shop center of attention

Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 AM

It looks like a developer is getting ready to covert a couple of old factories on Railroad Avenue in the West End to lofts. This should be a great boost to the area. Many of those old buildings are pretty neat with a lot of great space. Hopefully more of these buildings around the city will follow suit. Jay

Construction near on blighted Bridgeport buildings - Connecticut Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut