Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:04 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Historically, the TX economy went hard up and down with the oil price. Not as much now (more diversified economy) but if oil remains super cheap it will eventually have a negative effect. How negative is hard to say yet; might depend on how long Saudi Arabia keeps flooding the market. Their goal was to kill off new technologies for drilling, but that hasn't quite happened (the drillers have innovated and adapted) and now the Saudis are experiencing problems with their lowered revenue.

My CT house bubbled (doubled in apparent value from 1998 to 2006) and crated (dropped half of the increase) by the time I sold in 2013. Not as much as Florida or Las Vegas, but much bigger rise and fall than comparable real estate in Texas.
Interesting stuff… just read a good article on TX and the volatility of their market. Basically says what you said - depends on oil and whether or not the tech industry remains. If oil remains low and tech industry flattens out, TX could see a lot of hot air lost. After reading for the past hour or so, I think it's fair to say TX is a "possible" bubble…

I see CA (specifically LA and SF) and AZ reaching another disaster. FL in my opinion took too long to recover so they aren't there yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 02:17 PM

684 posts, read 812,295 times
The only bubble in Texas right now is the Austin region , can't keep up with the demand. Dallas and Houston area have always been good and steady . I've spent many years in Plano and 1 year outside of Austin and San Antonio region.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:27 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Interesting stuff… just read a good article on TX and the volatility of their market. Basically says what you said - depends on oil and whether or not the tech industry remains. If oil remains low and tech industry flattens out, TX could see a lot of hot air lost. After reading for the past hour or so, I think it's fair to say TX is a "possible" bubble…

I see CA (specifically LA and SF) and AZ reaching another disaster. FL in my opinion took too long to recover so they aren't there yet...
I think TX depends on cali continuing to suck too (same with Utah and Colorado). When entry level homes in a decent (only decent, not the best) town in sillicon valley cost $1 million big ones and San Diego suburbs about 800k plus the cost of commercial real estate, it really makes businesses think twice about how much they NEED to be there. Right now TX, SLC and Denver are basically the western counterpart for north carolina, georgia and florida, with businesses fleeing the unreasonably high costs and discovering wealth of opportunity elsewhere.

Personally, I think TX is pretty darn close to self sustainable. None of those businesses are going back to cali anytime soon, enough of an industry exists there to spawn new industry and, for the most part positive economic development has reached every major city.

To bring this back to the OP, I don't really see SC as much more than a viable retirement state. The economic diversity is just not there. Florida, much like TX, is a place I think is pretty darn close to being self sustainable and no longer needing companies to relocate from NY to continue development. North Carolina and Georgia still need some more development, but they are both a whole different world from SC.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:37 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I think TX depends on cali continuing to suck too (same with Utah and Colorado). When entry level homes in a decent (only decent, not the best) town in sillicon valley cost $1 million big ones and San Diego suburbs about 800k plus the cost of commercial real estate, it really makes businesses think twice about how much they NEED to be there. Right now TX, SLC and Denver are basically the western counterpart for north carolina, georgia and florida, with businesses fleeing the unreasonably high costs and discovering wealth of opportunity elsewhere.

Personally, I think TX is pretty darn close to self sustainable. None of those businesses are going back to cali anytime soon, enough of an industry exists there to spawn new industry and, for the most part positive economic development has reached every major city.

To bring this back to the OP, I don't really see SC as much more than a viable retirement state. The economic diversity is just not there. Florida, much like TX, is a place I think is pretty darn close to being self sustainable and no longer needing companies to relocate from NY to continue development. North Carolina and Georgia still need some more development, but they are both a whole different world from SC.
I like TX a lot…. if it weren't so damn hot I would have seriously looked into moving there… the heat just gets to me though.

More and more a state like Montana is appealing to me, lol...

Old 09-05-2015, 02:43 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I like TX a lot…. if it weren't so damn hot I would have seriously looked into moving there… the heat just gets to me though.

More and more a state like Montana is appealing to me, lol...
If you move there you can find a nice house on a big lake, trade in that Sea Doo for a more reliable Yamaha and stay cool on the water all day. Or maybe you'd stay cooler having to keep swimming back to land to grab wrenches, grease and spare parts for the SDoo?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:01 PM

304 posts, read 397,057 times
Climate change is the real canary in the coal mine here. Texas will become hotter, drier. SO lets say if we continue to add C02 to the atmosphere 2.0-2.5ppm a year - year over year. So in 5 years CO2 will likely be 410ppm- in 10 years over 420ppm- From the latest finger in the wind boys- the heat will likely begin to rise by 2020 over the USA- heat and humidity index is the real killer here- that means temperature's 105 degrees or higher. The only Texas city that will be less 'lethal; is El Paso- but even there it will become hotter and drier.

California is now facing acute water problems- the state is going to have to do something about its water shortages. Los Angeles will become hotter, as well as San Francisco- but due to the lower humidity, heat indexes will not be as severs as those in the east, south and Midwest.

Those not taking climate change into reality here are denying the laws of physics. The USA will become hotter and drier as the years progress. We are now 1 degree C above the pre industrial level, which started in 1880. In 1880 C02 stood at 280ppm- as it had in every inter glacial over the last 800,000 years. Today its near 400ppm and rising rapidly.

Live where you want, but only a fool would not take climate change into consideration. Surge In 'Danger Days' Just Around The Corner | Climate Central

Old 09-05-2015, 03:31 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't know why you've chosen to extrapolate that from boleboleh's post. Nowhere did he disparage the south. Saying "x is MORE [adjective] than y" does not mean "y has zero qualities of [adjective]."

The northeast DOES have more opportunities for higher education and as such, it DOES have more opportunities for career-based jobs. That is a fact.

When people around the country think "hm, if I could choose from any college in the USA to send my kid to for a degree in some kind of really geeky technology field," they're not going to think of University of Kentucky. They'll think MIT. That's in the northeast.

When patients go to a new doctor for their first visit and look on the wall, they're not hoping to see a diploma from Alabama State. They're hoping to see a diploma from Yale. Yale is in the northeast.

When you divorce your Yale-educated neurosurgeon husband and look for the lawyer who can cut you the best alimony payment, and have a choice of 20 different laywers, each from a different school, the gal from the University of Mississippi School of Law will likely take a back seat to the Harvard Law School grad.

That's just how it is. It doesn't mean southerners are "a dumb low life." What's even stranger about your comment, is that you're assuming that southerners never leave the south to get their education in the north, and that northerners never leave the north to get educated in the south. Neither of those assumptions are true. Education in the south isn't based on how smart or stupid someone is, and a person's intelligence has nothing to do with how well or poorly educated they are.

A smart northerner would know that
Of course, a southerner could also claim that a degree from Vanderbilt or the University of Virginia is better regarded than one from Hofstra or Long Island College too. Very convenient that you did not compare the best of the Northeast with the best of the South. So thought I would "flip" it with two of the best from the South vs. two ordinary colleges in the Northeast. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Of course, a southerner could also claim that a degree from Vanderbilt or the University of Virginia is better regarded than one from Hofstra or Long Island College too. Very convenient that you did not compare the best of the Northeast with the best of the South. So thought I would "flip" it with two of the best from the South vs. two ordinary colleges in the Northeast. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say.
Another person missing the point and nitpicking the sidelines entirely.

Forget all the examples I gave, they were wrong. You're right, I'm wrong.

Now back to the point, which I posted:

Quote:
The northeast DOES have more opportunities for higher education and as such, it DOES have more opportunities for career-based jobs. That is a fact.
THIS is the response to MiaMia's post. The rest was just stuff I included to give a few examples. The examples were really bad examples. The point stands without them.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:58 AM

684 posts, read 812,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Another person missing the point and nitpicking the sidelines entirely.

Forget all the examples I gave, they were wrong. You're right, I'm wrong.

Now back to the point, which I posted:

THIS is the response to MiaMia's post. The rest was just stuff I included to give a few examples. The examples were really bad examples. The point stands without them.
Nobody is missing the point but you Why don't you just leave it alone now or am i being to righteous for you?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:15 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
I believe if you looked at the number of colleges and universities in each state you would find that the northeast does not offer more opportunity than other regions. Perhaps more per capita but maybe not even that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut