Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM

164 posts, read 781,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I suggest you look again at the median home prices

they will be more important then a mere 50 bucks a month- then taking out an additional 100K mortgage or more.
I have looked at the updated home prices - you are correct, Seattle home prices are higher. That said, as a renter, I can tell you utils are MUCH more than 50 bucks a month - I suggest we take everything into account when discussing cost of living and not just pick one or two numbers. Those other things (including utilities and taxes) make a huge difference to a high percentage of people.

Utilities are not just electricity - they include gas, telephone, water, sewer as well as electricity. It's not a mere 50 bucks, more like a few hundred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,959,184 times
Metro home price Source NAR 3rd quarter 2007

Seattle WA 395K

Hartford 270K

Portland Or 300k

Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM

My utilities are about 50 bucks a month more then 5 years ago- that for me is allot- but if in Seattle or California- is the difference really going to compare to housing costs? Hardly.

When using a site like CNN to compare living costs-be careful, they are not 'programmed' correctly-much like the error you found in housing prices.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Metro home price Source NAR 3rd quarter 2007

Seattle WA 395K

Hartford 270K

Portland Or 300k
Again, we need to look at more than one thing to accurately measure cost of living.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
My utilities are about 50 bucks a month more then 5 years ago- that for me is allot- but if in Seattle or California- is the difference really going to compare to housing costs? Hardly.
I don't think I mentioned anything about California - I am ITA with you - CA is overpriced and overtaxed for what it offers.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. All I'm saying is that housing costs do not paint the full picture and we must look at everything as a whole. Not everyone who moves purchases a home.

You pay 50 bucks a month for all utilities combined? That doesn't seem right.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2000 View Post
Again, we need to look at more than one thing to accurately measure cost of living.
Housing costs in the end will be your highest expenditure-no?

Everything else is small change. Shelter by far is the most expensive monthly amount of money you will out out.

Connecticut outside of Fairfield county is not such a bad deal. Heating costs with natural gas have change slightly to the upside in the last 10 years- where my electric costs in 2000 where about $60 a month-now they are $100-

Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Housing costs in the end will be your highest expenditure-no?
It depends on the person. Some folks rent their whole lives, others pay cash for their homes.

I'd be interested to see what our members pay in utilities alone. In CT, they are very, very expensive.

Well again you are comparing apples and oranges- 65-70% prefer home ownership- a mere $100 a month for utilties will be allot to a very low income person- but then again so are rent increases.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2000 View Post
Utilities are not beans, especially to people on a fixed income who live paycheck to paycheck - more and more people are beginning to fit this criteria. They are also not beans to renters. I'm not sure why you don't see Utilities as real life stats?
Well rents go up no? I think at this point this argument is going nowhere since I have already proven that CNN is wrong about housing being so 'expensive' here compared to Seattle- And I did say I pay $50 a month more for my electric costs a month compared to 8 years ago. Not just $50 a month combined-

Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM

I'm not quite sure why my last message was deleted?

I will repeat what I said as it was not a flame.

It depends on the person, some rent their whole lives, others buy. Again, those on a fixed income, utilities are going to matter a lot more than those who have their home paid off and little expenses.

Now that my post has been deleted, I am out of this thread. Have a good day all.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM

I made a mistake in the editing- nothing against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut