Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I have come across two people lately at work (which is in eastern FFC) who are looking at houses.

One lives in Stratford but is looking to move closer to Newtown and I suggested Southbury, she said "no, I don't want to live in New Haven County…" Huh? One lives in Milford and is looking to move to the northeastern FFC area and I said Oxford and Southbury and again, he says "My girlfriend wants Fairfield County schools so we are looking in Stratford and Shelton". Wha?? I tried to explain to this guy that Orange, Oxford and Southbury schools are a step above Stratford and Shelton but he didn't want to hear it. I also tried to explain to the female that county doesn't matter at all.

Why are people so snobbish about FFC? The towns in eastern FFC are in no way better than the towns that border them in western NHC. In fact, the towns in western NHC in some cases are nicer!

Anyone else coming across this crazy mindset? Do they think if they live in Monroe, they are "above" people living in Orange because it's technically FFC?
Their logic makes no sense whatsoever. I agree they must not know the area well. I hope they avoid Monroe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
I live in Trumbull FFC and there are towns that are near Hartford and New Haven that have schools just as good or better. Show them this map and they will get it.

https://www.cabe.org/uploaded/About_...CABE_Areas.pdf

Old 09-29-2015, 05:31 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
I don't mind Southbury to New Haven, but think the drive to Bridgeport or any city/town Southwest be a tough drive. Can see Monroe/Trumbull maybe Newtown to any Southwest drive man still a longer drive, but not terrible. Still Danbury to Norwalk is an okay drive, Route 7 traffic can be a nightmare. I rather work close to where I live if can afford it in Fairfield County. Anywho I love Southbury especially with the new Theater moving in. Also the school system is amazing there.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I laugh at such snobbery. People with those attitudes think it connotes superiority, but it actually betrays weakness. They are afraid of what people would think of them if they didn't live in a certain place. It is pathetic.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:07 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqconvict View Post
i laugh at such snobbery. People with those attitudes think it connotes superiority, but it actually betrays weakness. They are afraid of what people would think of them if they didn't live in a certain place. It is pathetic.
+1

Old 09-29-2015, 08:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Snobbish and stupid IMO. Some of the BEST districts in the entire State are outside of FFC. And when people mention FFC as being the best of the best CT has to offer, let's face it, they're really only talking about a handful of towns...

Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Snobbish and stupid IMO. Some of the BEST districts in the entire State are outside of FFC. And when people mention FFC as being the best of the best CT has to offer, let's face it, they're really only talking about a handful of towns...
I was born and have lived in FFC all my life. I feel the opposite. When I get outside of FCC I feel like that is the real CT and I like it better. Once you get of of FFC you meet a lot of salt of the earth kind of people. I am looking forward to moving east of New Haven on the coast which I feel is better than FFC in many ways.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:45 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I was born and have lived in FFC all my life. I feel the opposite. When I get outside of FCC I feel like that is the real CT and I like it better. Once you get of of FFC you meet a lot of salt of the earth kind of people. I am looking forward to moving east of New Haven on the coast which I feel is better than FFC in many ways.
Isn't that what I said though? That it's stupid and snobbish to think FFC is the best? Btw, I agree with you...

Old 09-29-2015, 08:52 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
They're being snobs AND misinformed.

The counties in CT are basically just an imaginary border.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:53 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I don't mind Southbury to New Haven, but think the drive to Bridgeport or any city/town Southwest be a tough drive. Can see Monroe/Trumbull maybe Newtown to any Southwest drive man still a longer drive, but not terrible. Still Danbury to Norwalk is an okay drive, Route 7 traffic can be a nightmare. I rather work close to where I live if can afford it in Fairfield County. Anywho I love Southbury especially with the new Theater moving in. Also the school system is amazing there.
Southbury to Bridgeport is pretty easy. Easier than Southbury to New Haven for the most part.

Last edited by Stylo; 09-29-2015 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut