Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:09 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,210,256 times

Advertisements

IF GE and other companies of that caliber relocate out of CT, too many people here in OUR State will have a heck of lot more to overcome than the benefit of proximity to "fishing within 5 minutes" or commutability within "TWO HOURS" (as if that would ever remotely be desirable...Ha!!) to a real/world-class city.

Lol! Might as well live in the Poconos for that matter. Would have the same effect and about the same amount to offer...

#IgnoranceIsBliss, I suppose

Last edited by Lalalally; 10-06-2015 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,088,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
IF GE and other companies of that caliber relocate out of CT, too many people here in OUR State will have a heck of lot more to overcome than the benefit of proximity to "fishing within 5 minutes" or commutability within "TWO HOURS" (as if that would ever remotely be desirable...Ha!!) to a real/world-class city.

Lol! Might as well live in the Poconos for that matter. Would have the same effect and about the same amount to offer...

#IgnoranceIsBliss, I suppose
What companies as big as GE have talked about moving?

My point, which I bet you understand, but choose to ignore, is that my location puts me two hours from TWO of the largest cities in the county. I don't commute on a daily basis. If I did, I wouldn't live here. However, for weekly business in either city + all the lifestyle benefits, I'm very happy with my location.

I don't live anywhere near GE any more. GE are among the biggest tax avoiders on Earth. If they leave I'm sorry for the local people who will be hurt. However, I like my corporate neighbors to be good stewards of their community. I pay a great deal of state, federal and even local tax on my businesses. Why shouldn't GE? They profited 5.5 Billion last year.

Quote:
In 2014 alone, GE reported $5.75 billion in U.S. profits, and didn’t pay a dime in current state income taxes on those profits. In fact, the company received a net state income tax rebate of $71 million.
General Electric Routinely Pays Little or No State Income Taxes | CTJReports

We have a pretty serious imbalance when all the state taxes are paid by small companies like mine that employ less than 20 people. Maybe you find that #blissful?

Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,210,256 times
It doesn't matter you no longer live anywhere near GE anymore -- GE's payroll alone -- never mind the taxes it's paying in CT -- approaches Half a Billion Dollars. If you don't think that would have wide and lasting negative impact on our state, then yes, I do envy your #bliss. No one is knocking down our door to fill that sort of void. GE's charitable giving in 2013 (most recent numbers I could find) exceeded $100 million - with places like Stamford public school district, Sacred Heart University being some of the direct beneficiaries, so I would say yes, it is a good corporate neighbor and citizen. And hey, Immelt can't be all bad - Obama likes him
I do find it interesting though that you seem to finally be complaining about the tax burden -- you usually argue the exact opposite. Believe me, I do get it. My husband is a small business owner who employs more than 10 but less than 20. He's seriously considering relocating the business across the border to Putnam county. Logistics of doing so are a hurdle that he hasn't had time yet to figure out.

Last edited by Lalalally; 10-07-2015 at 06:29 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,088,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
It doesn't matter you no longer live anywhere near GE anymore -- GE's payroll alone -- never mind the taxes it's paying in CT -- approaches Half a Billion Dollars. If you don't think that would have wide and lasting negative impact on our state, then yes, I do envy your #bliss. No one is knocking down our door to fill that sort of void. GE's charitable giving in 2013 (most recent numbers I could find) exceeded $100 million - with places like Stamford public school district, Sacred Heart University being some of the direct beneficiaries, so I would say yes, it is a good corporate neighbor and citizen. And hey, Immelt can't be all bad - Obama likes him
I do find it interesting though that you seem to finally be complaining about the tax burden -- you usually argue the exact opposite. Believe me, I do get it. My husband is a small business owner who employs more than 10 but less than 20. He's seriously considering relocating the business across the border to Putnam county. Logistics of doing so are a hurdle that he hasn't had time yet to figure out.
The people displaced from GE will work somewhere else... From a Macro Economic perspective, it's not like that $500mil in salary disappears. Some will start companies and employ others (See 80's era UTC layoffs for a model...) I'm not saying it's not a loss... But GE DOESN'T PAY TAXES. These jobs cost the state tax money. I feel for the people who lose their jobs, but, this baloney of all the tax burden being laid at the feet of me and other small business owners has to stop.

IDC how many you employ-- You should pay taxes, just like the rest of the people who benefit from the services provided here.

Charitable giving is not the same as taxes. I certainly don't get the same feeling from my charitable giving and my tax payments... Does anyone?

I'm not considering moving my business anywhere... So I've go to advocate for change here.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:00 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,386,888 times
EUPL should consider moving to a big city to try it out. I moved away from CT for work and really enjoy being in a big city. I dont go out every night but there are enough free things to do or simply walking around that i really enjoy. That said, all of my highschool friends pretty much moved out of our hometown and most of my college friends were from out of state so I didnt really have a core group of friends around anymore.

I also wanted to see what else was out there before i settled down into one location. I will say i echo people's statements on here that it all depends on the individual. Someone who is into hunting and fishing isn't going to like being in a big city. That being said, i dont see a problem if in your younger years you want to see what else is out there. My biggest gripe with CT or at least the area I was living was it was so damn expensive.

Last edited by howdydoody342; 10-07-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 12:37 PM

720 posts, read 913,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
EUPL should consider moving to a big city to try it out. I moved away from CT for work and really enjoy being in a big city. I dont go out every night but there are enough free things to do or simply walking around that i really enjoy. That said, all of my highschool friends pretty much moved out of our hometown and most of my college friends were from out of state so I didnt really have a core group of friends around anymore.

I also wanted to see what else was out there before i settled down into one location. I will say i echo people's statements on here that it all depends on the individual. Someone who is into hunting and fishing isn't going to like being in a big city. That being said, i dont see a problem if in your younger years you want to see what else is out there. My biggest gripe with CT or at least the area I was living was it was so damn expensive.
Yes that's pretty much what I am looking for, the ability and availability to go out and enjoy free things with tons of people around, this state is to quiet and calm for me. I love NYC, I love Miami, love the hustle and bustle of the city, CT has no city which offers anything close to that.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,386,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Yes that's pretty much what I am looking for, the ability and availability to go out and enjoy free things with tons of people around, this state is to quiet and calm for me. I love NYC, I love Miami, love the hustle and bustle of the city, CT has no city which offers anything close to that.
so why haven't u moved yet?

Old 10-07-2015, 01:28 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,733,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Why can't you just visit NYC or Boston on the weekends if this is so important to you?? Is that somehow not good enough??

I'd be thrilled if MY favorite place in the world (The Southeastern Bahamas) was just 120 miles away!!

Unfortunately, its TEN TIMES that far.
Attached Thumbnails
CT-The state with the richest population may not have enough money in its own pockets-long-bay-.jpg  

Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
so why haven't u moved yet?
I have 2 business ventures here that I run as well as a full time job. I am trying to save up enough capital to do the same thing elsewhere, also would like to pay off my student loans, I hope to move in a year or two at max.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Why can't you just visit NYC or Boston on the weekends if this is so important to you?? Is that somehow not good enough??

I'd be thrilled if MY favorite place in the world (The Southeastern Bahamas) was just 120 miles away!!

Unfortunately, its TEN TIMES that far.
That's the problem, 120 miles away. I would like to step out of my home and if I fee like it and eat a Cuban sandwich at 3 am or eat Chinese at 5am or go and hangout with 100 other people in some cool park with a view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut