Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 11:30 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Easy Boston suburbs...housing in some Boston suburbs may be higher than Hartford/Valley area of CT. The taxes are probably similiar in cost. However, what you put in for taxes and COL is well worth it in the Boston area.
That is your opinion. I know someone who is young that moved to Boston and feels the exact opposite. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 11:44 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Just saying outside of the Valley near Hartford school's aren't great. Not much to do. Where you have historical sites near the Boston area, have amazing universities, amazing historical libraries, your bear Boston, near zoo's, near aquariums, near Boston itself, near the Red Soxs (Booo)/Celtics/Bruins, some of the U.S. bear hospital's, your near the Blue Hill Reservation/Cape Cod/Salem, and area is walkable.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Just saying outside of the Valley near Hartford school's aren't great. Not much to do. Where you have historical sites near the Boston area, have amazing universities, amazing historical libraries, your bear Boston, near zoo's, near aquariums, near Boston itself, near the Red Soxs (Booo)/Celtics/Bruins, some of the U.S. bear hospital's, your near the Blue Hill Reservation/Cape Cod/Salem, and area is walkable.
What??? You are so WRONG. There are MANY towns with excellent schools outside "the Valley" near Hartford. West Hartford and Glastonbury are not in "the Valley" and their schools are among the top in the state. Also schools in Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, Newington, South Windsor, Bolton, Tolland, Mansfield, Ellington, Marlborough, Hebron and East Hampton are all very good. I could go on but you get my point. Jay

Old 10-23-2015, 12:04 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
I'd agree with this (and again, this forum is for opinions). Were it not for my job which brought us to the Hartford area, objectively speaking we would have preferred the Boston area by far.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:02 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'd agree with this (and again, this forum is for opinions). Were it not for my job which brought us to the Hartford area, objectively speaking we would have preferred the Boston area by far.
I agree with that if I could afford and find a job I move up to Boston.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I lived in RI for over 25 years - spent a lot of time visiting both Boston and different areas in CT. Boston is nice to visit but I really wouldn't want to live there so that would put me in CT given your only 2 choices.

Boston's traffic is horrid at best. Sure, you'd have all the cultural/historical places to visit but, if you lived in CT, you'd be halfway between NYC and Boston - the best of both worlds for the culture/history/dining options. It's far more difficult to deal with a vehicle in the Boston area than the Hartford vicinity - I've driven extensively in both areas. Family-wise, to me, it's a no-brainer - CT handsdown.

But - yup, always a but. I've been to the Oakland area a few times - have you really considered the differences in weather? Are you sure you want to be in New England? The snowfall/precipitation this year is guesstimated as being even higher than in previous years. The cold temps are one of the reasons we chose to move south for our retirement. If you're easily mobile because of your at-home jobs, then give it a try but don't be surprised if a couple winters in New England has you racing south or even "out west" again.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:13 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I know people in Avon and Simsbury (in nice homes) that live near Rt 44 that can walk to the 24 hour Walgreens, a CVS, a Rite Aid, Stop & Shop, hair salons, a gym, a movie theater and a whole bunch of restaurants. And, if they want to cross Rt 167 with the light, they can get to Staples, Best Buy, either a Petco or Pet Supplies Plus, and more restaurants. If you cross 44 with the light, you can also get to a large Hartford Hospital affiliated medical facility and more restaurants.

A lot of people in this part of the country, though, prefer to have the safety of not having heavy retail traffic right outside of their doors - hence the popularity of places in Avon like Buckingham, Northington Ridge and Kingswood.
Yeah, but it's a bit of culture shock to realize that you have to drive on a 2 lane road to Plainville or Torrington to go to Lowes, or to T-ton or New Britain to get to a Target. Errands turn into a half day trip.

I am totally playing devil's advocate.... I live in Litchfield county now, by choice. I honestly don't care about great access to retail for the most part. I just want people to realize and be prepared for the way in which things that may be taken for granted where they are now are NOT part of standard reality in CT.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:05 PM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
Much of populated CT isn't like that. For example, I just have to jump on I-84, go down a couple exits, and I have all my retail shopping in Danbury. Some of the other towns nearby also provide some good choices (Southbury, Trumbull, etc).

Essentially, within 20 minutes, I have everything nearby me.

Hartford County is the same. I know places like Berlin turnpike seem to have everything lined up imaginable.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:20 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I lived in RI for over 25 years - spent a lot of time visiting both Boston and different areas in CT. Boston is nice to visit but I really wouldn't want to live there so that would put me in CT given your only 2 choices.

Boston's traffic is horrid at best. Sure, you'd have all the cultural/historical places to visit but, if you lived in CT, you'd be halfway between NYC and Boston - the best of both worlds for the culture/history/dining options. It's far more difficult to deal with a vehicle in the Boston area than the Hartford vicinity - I've driven extensively in both areas. Family-wise, to me, it's a no-brainer - CT handsdown.

But - yup, always a but. I've been to the Oakland area a few times - have you really considered the differences in weather? Are you sure you want to be in New England? The snowfall/precipitation this year is guesstimated as being even higher than in previous years. The cold temps are one of the reasons we chose to move south for our retirement. If you're easily mobile because of your at-home jobs, then give it a try but don't be surprised if a couple winters in New England has you racing south or even "out west" again.
its supposed to be warmer with la nina

Old 10-23-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Do you agree that schools in towns like West Hartford and Glastonbury "aren't great"? I think you will agree that his comment on schools is completely off. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut