Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 04:44 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,795,405 times

Advertisements

I received a hand written message that said my mail box must be outside. For the last 5 years it has been inside a small vestibule like structure where one can enter the house thru the front door. Or visitors can wait in this area out of the weather until we can open the door. The previous owners of the house had the same set up (we never changed it)

Any one know why I am getting this message now ? Every house in my neighborhood is set up the same way, the mail box is outside next to the front door, although not necessarily inside a vestibule. There are no mail boxes on posts in my neighborhood at all.

Now if I did put a mail box outside it would be exposed to the weather and the mail man would still have to walk the same distance. The only change would be he wouldn't have to open the door. As it is already the mail man never uses the mail box any way and just throws the mail on the floor. At least it is out of the weather I guess.

Also, my mail man seems to change every day and the delivery time changes every day too. It could be 9am or 6pm its any ones guess.

I didn't think the post office could dictate the position of the mail box on old houses and could only do that with new construction.

Should I talk to the postmaster ? I would think a blanket change like this would be communicated to me and the community in a better way instead of a hand written message. I have a suspicion I just have a lazy mail man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,873 times
I would suggest contacting your local post office. Reasons why is any official letter from United States Postal Service will be typed and printed up with a signature of the Postmaster or Supervisor. The letter would state the reason why you would be relocating your mailbox. Usually mailboxes only get relocated if there is a safety reason behind it unless the house was built after 1980's then it's required to have curbside delivery or unless in a rural town then ever rural setting is required on curbside delivery. So unless you have potential safety reasons such as handrails missing from 3 or more steps on stairs to the house or dogs or can literally be for any reason deemed unsafe by the carrier.

Sounds like you may not have a full-time regular carrier on your route. Quick explantion to why the is carrier is delivering your mail at all hours of the day that's due to staffing reasons in the post office and our need to provide auxiliary assistance to carrier who are overbearing with work or lack of staffing that day. So hours are flexible, but technically you should be getting your mail first thing if that was the case though since it's a policy to deliver the pivots/or auxiliaries first before tending to there own route.

I highly suggest speaking to the Postmaster of this town as this letter seems to not legitimate because like I said above it wouldn't be hand written and it sounds like a carrier may have written it if there is no just cause written in the letter to why you need to move your box.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:53 AM

34,737 posts, read 56,545,451 times
I would call the Post Office and speak to the Postmaster. A handwritten note is very unprofessional and a bit suspicious. There has been a lot of coverage on delivery thefts so I would be sure this is not some type of setup. Jay

Old 10-24-2015, 09:00 AM

14 posts, read 32,122 times
The Postal Service is slowly trying to move all boxes to a curb delivery. With your mailbox on the street the carrier can do twice the work without leaving the vehicle. Usually when a new owner move in, they will try to move your box to the street. They cannot force you to do that..
You need to contact the Postmaster, (make sure you speak to the Postmaster).

Old 10-24-2015, 03:30 PM

9,835 posts, read 14,693,083 times
You should ask your immediate neighbors with a similar mailbox set up if they too received a hand written note.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:17 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,733,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT
I would call the Post Office and speak to the Postmaster. A handwritten note is very unprofessional and a bit suspicious.
Yes sounds like they are just getitng LAZY and want the box where they think ITS THE MOST CONVIENENT FOR THEM!!

Good luck

Old 10-25-2015, 03:30 AM

4,826 posts, read 5,993,303 times
Good morning, just scrolling through and saw this on the current posts lists. Even though I am from Florida (former Yankee) I thought I would throw my two cents in.

All new subdivisions here in our county now have to have cluster mail boxes. These are stand alone lock boxes for everyone's mail in the new subdivision. In our older neighborhoods the local Post Office has been trying to get those with mail boxes on their houses by their doorways to install mailboxes at the street.

I believe they are trying to transition this nation wide.........slow going for them but the cluster boxes for new subdivisions have been addressed by homeowners and they are here to stay.

A dated link to an article below mentioning the direction the post office wants to go:

Postal Service moving away from at-your-door delivery - Jul. 23, 2013

Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 PM

854 posts, read 1,234,241 times
Are the new cluster boxes accessible by golf cart?

I don't know why the post office is torturing senior citizens with this clusterfück. It's hard enough to walk as it is. Contact your local ******* Congressman.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,712,219 times
It seems the post office wants single family homes in older neighborhoods to have either a curbside mailbox, or a mailbox outside and attached to the house or a mail slot.

Since you have no curbside mailboxes in your area, perhaps ask the post office if you can have a mail slot. Then carrier wouldn't have to open the door , come into the vestibule and put the mail into the box.

There are kits for mail slots. Pretty easy for a do-it yourselfer to install. The mail would still wind up on the floor, but inside and the mail carrier would not have to go through what he or she considers to be extra effort.

Whatever you do, contact the local postmaster first. I wouldn't go by a handwritten note.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,041,887 times
the mailbox needs to be visible from the street. You say all your neighbors have their mailbox next to their door and yours is but a step away in a vestibule? How does a carrier who is not familiar with your delivery point know that? You are lucky that mail has been delivered and not returned to the office for not having a mailbox. Your mail should be put in a mailbox and delivering to the floor means they couldn't find the mailbox and did you a favor, although it is an offense one could be written up for, by throwing it on the floor. The letter could have been written by the carrier of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut