Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:48 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
We're all getting older, including YOU.
Been there done that. 30 to 40 is like Memorial day to Labor day, over before you know it. Get it together, the clock is ticking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Been there done that. 30 to 40 is like Memorial day to Labor day, over before you know it. Get it together, the clock is ticking.
Excuse me? Get what together?

Old 11-03-2015, 07:19 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
As an early 30's guy, I like FFC, being able to work in NYC but live in a suburban CT town that has good access to a lot of the lifestyle that CT offers.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
That's very expensive to do on a regular basis though.
Metro North expensive-Hardly. I go to NYC from NJ at minimum monthly, at same cost. Its $30.5o round trip, about $36 with subway. I'll add in a meal, dessert at a Italian pastry restaurant over 100 years old, and it comes to around $85 with my Sunday papers in the city.

Far cheaper than my monthly visits to family in Milford, btw, and I do enjoy both. Life is too short not to do stuff you enjoy. I budget for family time and recreation generously as well as savings.

To bring this back to topic, part of the appeal of both Ct and NJ is access to NYC!!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:11 PM

People need to stop using proximity to NYC and Boston as a reason to explain why they like CT. The REAL test, is to ask yourself, would you still like living in CT, if NYC and Boston did not exist?!

When I lived in CT (central CT anyway), I liked it for CT. NOT because of NYC or Boston being 2 hours away.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:26 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
People need to stop using proximity to NYC and Boston as a reason to explain why they like CT. The REAL test, is to ask yourself, would you still like living in CT, if NYC and Boston did not exist?!

When I lived in CT (central CT anyway), I liked it for CT. NOT because of NYC or Boston being 2 hours away.
Why? I lived where I did in Tn due to proximity to Nashville. People like big cities, as it affords opportunities to things suburbia lacks the economy of scale to offer.

Now central Ct is not close to big cities, but it also lacks population density, and yes there is a correlation there.

BTW, I like central NJ but would avoid the parts of NJ w/o rail access to NYC. Fortunately, NJ rail covers a large percentage of state population well. Same reason Ct is densely populated where access to NYC is available without driving. I wish I did not have to drive.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:34 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
New Haven is a great city, but the way roads are designed causes way too much congestion, area's of New Haven are not very safe, and difficulty finding a place to park in NH without paying a premium.
The traffic really is not that bad. I worked there for over 2 years and didn't find the traffic to be unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. Once the construction on 34 is done it'll be fine. It's certainly less congested than most cities, Stamford included.

Parking is also not that hard. I've never had a problem finding street parking. You just need to know where to look. Garages are a fraction of the cost of even Stamford.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:35 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Why is that a real test? People live in places because of the location. Being near those cities IS part of the appeal of CT. Why can't it be?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:48 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:

Of course not ha its the only two thing's going for CT ha

Old 11-03-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Why is that a real test? People live in places because of the location. Being near those cities IS part of the appeal of CT. Why can't it be?
Right, but just for sh'ts and giggles, I am curious to know how people would answer that question. Would you still like living in CT if NYC and Boston did not exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut