Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Come on now! Bridgeport has its rough areas, but New York does too and they are much larger and scarier. Jay
Yeah, you're right! I suppose the major difference with NYC is that most neighborhoods within the past 5 years in NYC--rough or slightly--are undergoing some form of gentrification and infill and continue to improve. Bridgeport's bad areas have sat stagnant and dilapidated for decades. I guess it *appears* rougher, but in all likelihood, it's not really as bad as NYC. It's just that Bridgeport needs some gentrification and development in certain neighborhoods bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
I've done it many, many times. Bridgeport to the NYC border is 40 miles, as long as there aren't any traffic problems on 95 you will hit the Bronx in 35 minutes(less if you drive like my Father). If you know your way around the Bronx you can slip into Manhattan very easily by using one of the smaller bridges.
Well, if you are talking about "to the Bronx" that's a different story. The NYC city limits line does appear right near the I-95 and Hutchinson Parkway exit, way up there. That's not what I was really referring to. I was referring to Manhattan Central, like midtown. There's no way you could drive to midtown in 35 minutes from Bridgeport--even with no traffic. I've driven from Stamford to the west side highway in Manhattan with no traffic a few times and that took about 35 minutes pushing it. Add at the minimum 15 minutes and coming from Bridgeport you might be able to hit Manhattan in 50 minutes. With absolutely zero traffic, though.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:35 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
With absolutely zero traffic, though.
Like that EVER happens. I have been caught in stopped traffic on the highways in New York at 1:00 in the morning. Jay

Old 02-07-2008, 10:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Like that EVER happens. I have been caught in stopped traffic on the highways in New York at 1:00 in the morning. Jay
LOL Me too.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,676 times
Default Faith in Bpt...

I grew up in Bpt have seen it at it's worst in the 90's, been away for a while, but always came to visit fam at least once a year. I have seen it changing for the better, yes it has a bad rep still, and that it will probably always have, but have faith in it.

I honestly feel it is getting better and living in all different places in the US, when something is going to happen to you, it's going to happen no matter where you are at. I live in FL right now and in one of the safest and most expensive places here some of the worst crimes have happened.

I'm not saying that it is safe to walk around without fear in Bpt., but it is a city that is going to come up and change and be the city it used to be. I didn't grow up in the best parts of Bpt., but knowing your neighbors and getting along with the people around you does make a difference. You would be surprised who will look out for you.

You can run from it now, but you'll be back to visit someday. Mark these words. Bridgeport will become the city it once was, but better.

t

Old 05-12-2008, 06:10 AM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
From the BX to Bridgeport is 40 minutes on the I-95 no traffic doing 65-70 mph. Bridgeport is definitely a 'hood' city but its calmed down from the late 80's/early 90's just like NYC but minus the fix-up so it will come off more 'bombed out' than some of the hoods in NYC but the actual danger factor is about the same. To sum it up its Newark with about half the crime. Another difference is there's nothing happening in Bridgeport so it has this dead, depressing type of effect over the young people compared to the live activity in NY where people tend to be more about their business.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,116 times
Many people I know in Bridgeport head to NYC for entertainment since it is so close, maybe once/twice a month. Look, the bars/clubs in NYC close much, much later than they do in CT. The Jamaicans from Bport go to the reggae clubs in the Bronx on Gun Hill road and the Latinos go to the salsa clubs on Westchester Avenue. Even farther out in New Haven people will do that sometimes.

Bridgeport has a long way to go but there are some positive signs. A European commodities trading firm with offices in Norwalk is moving their operations to downtown Bridgeport due to increasing rent costs in Norwalk. Trust me, more of these financial service firms are going to be looking at Bport as rents increase in Greenwich, Stamford, and Norwalk.

Forstone Capital just bought the office buildings at Lafayette Circle. Forstone has connections with many hedge funds in Greenwich, I'm betting that some of those companies are going to move some of their operations to Bport.

The mayor of Stamford called Shelton "baby Stamford" the other day since a number of companies have left Stamford for cheaper rent in Shelton.... All those companies moving east from Stamford are one day going to fill into downtown bport.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Actually it happens more often than many think. I frequent Manhattan and very rarely do I hit traffic except at toll booths and on the Van Wyck. That said, I don't drive during rush hour rather more often on weekends and in late evening. My guess is that the 1am traffic must've been at the tolls near one of the bridges, or on your way to the airport.

NYC traffic has nothing on LA, Atlanta, the Jersey Turnpike and even 95 between Norwalk and Greenwich, to a degree.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
The mayor of Stamford called Shelton "baby Stamford" the other day since a number of companies have left Stamford for cheaper rent in Shelton.... All those companies moving east from Stamford are one day going to fill into downtown bport.
Funny you say this - a coworker recently said in 10 years, Shelton is the next Stamford. Shelton is just less diverse.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually it happens more often than many think. I frequent Manhattan and very rarely do I hit traffic except at toll booths and on the Van Wyck. That said, I don't drive during rush hour rather more often on weekends and in late evening. My guess is that the 1am traffic must've been at the tolls near one of the bridges, or on your way to the airport.

NYC traffic has nothing on LA, Atlanta, the Jersey Turnpike and even 95 between Norwalk and Greenwich, to a degree.
Get caught on that Cross Bronx Expressway going to Jersey or the BQE and you might change your view a little
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut