Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The state should add the extra lane in each direction from New Haven to New London. I think that would be pretty feasible.
The state has plans to widen I-95 from Branford where the 3 lanes in each direction ends to the RI state line. It is just a matter of figuring out how to pay for it. It is in the Governor's "Let's Go CT" plan for $100 billion in transportation improvements over the next 30 years. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Route 25 limited access freeway ends in Trumbull a few miles after it branches from RT 8. It continues as a 2 lane road with lights and businesses through Monroe and Newtown, and is an absolute mess during rush hour. It reminds me of how RT 7 was in 2005 between Danbury and Norwalk.
I think this is really poor planning on the part of the state. There are no expressway connections between I-95, the Merritt Parkway and I-84 in eastern Fairfield County. Another "thank you" to Governor Ella Grasso and her shortsightedness that we are all paying for to this day. Jay

Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,227,844 times
Just took me 35-40 minutes to get from Trumbull (Hawley Lane) back down to exit 15....and it was 2:30-ish when I left. WTH? The sign to get to the NY border, said an additional 46 minutes?! For southbound...I always expect something, but that is just craziness.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:07 PM

As bad as people think traffic is in Fairfield County, it did not make the American Highway Users Alliance list of the worst bottlenecks in the country. A number of other highways in the New York metropolitan area made the list including the Lincoln Tunnel, the Cross Bronx Expressway, the Long Island Expressway and the New Jersey approach to the George Washington Bridge. Even the Mass Pike and I-93 in Boston are on the list. Do you think this was an oversight or is our I-95 problem not as bad as people here think? Jay

http://www.highways.org/wp-content/u...015-hi-res.pdf

Old 11-25-2015, 03:45 PM

11,243 posts, read 18,721,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Just took me 35-40 minutes to get from Trumbull (Hawley Lane) back down to exit 15....and it was 2:30-ish when I left. WTH? The sign to get to the NY border, said an additional 46 minutes?! For southbound...I always expect something, but that is just craziness.
I had the same problem yesterday, i now regularly commute to a school on the Bridgeport/Stratford line just off exit 30 from southern Westchester and i live just a block from the Hutch (Merritt) Pkwy. Normally takes me 40-45 minutes left Bridgport at 330 yesterday and did not get home until 515

Old 11-25-2015, 04:15 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,182,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I had the same problem yesterday, i now regularly commute to a school on the Bridgeport/Stratford line just off exit 30 from southern Westchester and i live just a block from the Hutch (Merritt) Pkwy. Normally takes me 40-45 minutes left Bridgport at 330 yesterday and did not get home until 515
As you know I feel that pain. I left work in Westchester at 4:00 and my nav said 2 hours 4 minutes to get home. I kind of gave up ranting about it much these days....it is what it is. I wound up taking 684 to Cross River rte 35 and then took back roads through Ridgefield and Wilton finally coming out near the Trumbull Mall on the Merritt.......believe it or not, it actually saved me 25 minutes. Thankfully I changed my hours at work and leave before the Fairfield mayhem starts on the Merritt SB in the morning. I have a clear and stress free ride at least in the morning.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:21 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,357,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Weekends on I-95 in FC have now officially joined weekday rush hour status.
Had to take Post Rd and backroads through Darien, Rowayton, Sono, East Nor,Westport to get back from Stamford - on a F%^&$*ing saturday afternoon.

I was going up to suburban Boston last Saturday. Merritt jammed packed going north at the route 8 interchange ended up taking the "long way" 8 to 84 instead of the Merritt to 91 to 84 and of course there was no one on 8.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:16 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think this is really poor planning on the part of the state. There are no expressway connections between I-95, the Merritt Parkway and I-84 in eastern Fairfield County. Another "thank you" to Governor Ella Grasso and her shortsightedness that we are all paying for to this day. Jay
There is route 8, which connects all 3 in FFC and western NHC.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:23 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As bad as people think traffic is in Fairfield County, it did not make the American Highway Users Alliance list of the worst bottlenecks in the country. A number of other highways in the New York metropolitan area made the list including the Lincoln Tunnel, the Cross Bronx Expressway, the Long Island Expressway and the New Jersey approach to the George Washington Bridge. Even the Mass Pike and I-93 in Boston are on the list. Do you think this was an oversight or is our I-95 problem not as bad as people here think? Jay

http://www.highways.org/wp-content/u...015-hi-res.pdf
I didn't read the article, but 95 is not a bottleneck. The few highways you mentioned are mostly very urban areas that have actual bottlenecks. 95 in CT is regularly a 20 to sometimes 40 mile stop and go. The only jams equivalent to that are experienced on the LIE and 95 in Virginia's DC suburbs. So perhaps it didn't fit the criteria.

It's difficult to compare urban traffic to suburban traffic, which is what many of these lists do. I'll bet if you do a study on the worst suburban traffic jams, 95 in CT would top the list (or maybe LA's 405 or LI's LIE). Either way, I think it would be in the top 3. As someone else stated, it's no longer just a rush hour problem. It's difficult to travel during the day and on weekends.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There is route 8, which connects all 3 in FFC and western NHC.
Route 8 is eastern Fairfield County. There is a need for a connection in the western part of the county. That is what Route 7 would have provided. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut