Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:53 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
They should be left in the camps in the Middle East where they are already provided for.
Clearly you have zero idea what is happening in the Middle East if you truly believe they are being provided for adequately in refugee camps. Do you really think parents would willingly risk theirs and their children's lives trying to get to Europe if that were the case? Educate yourself before forming such hard and fast opinions.

To keep this on topic for CT...clearly the state doesn't have extra cash laying around for anything, let alone assisting Syrian refugees. I am torn on this, as from a humanitarian perspective the developed world can't turn their backs. It is unconscionable and that isn't who we are as Americans. I need to research more about what the Feds intend the process to be and who is footing the bill(State? Feds?) before taking sides.

As for all of this "well YOU take them into YOUR house" B.S. You are all reasonable adults and know that is a ridiculous assertion. Stop being so obtuse.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 AM

505 posts, read 428,359 times
I hope the people that are calling for these refugees are going to be paying to support them individually rather than calling on the entire state to collectively deal with the burden!

As usual some people want to be seen as "doing good" but EVERYONE will have to provide financial support.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:42 AM

720 posts, read 919,214 times
Considering the US destabilized the entire middle east, they should be on the hook to take in refugees. Why is Europe the only one who should take up this burden. This obligation should be shared by each state including CT.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Considering the US destabilized the entire middle east, they should be on the hook to take in refugees. Why is Europe the only one who should take up this burden. This obligation should be shared by each state including CT.
I think Colin Powell once said in regards to Iraq-- "If you break it, you've bought it." I agree with you. That's where we are.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
There are plenty of large homes in Glastonbury, I'll email Malloy and tell him that Glastonbury is the perfect town for them.

Don't worry, they will be vetted.
They are welcome to come to Glastonbury. In fact the town hosted an Iraqi family who relocated here because the father served as an interpreter for military forces. The family was forced to leave because of threats. They came to Glastonbury and lived in town-owned housing in Welles Village. My son was their son's mentor in elementary school for the first year they were here. Nice kid who was very nervous about his new home and life. Jay

Old 11-17-2015, 10:12 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
I'm sure Darien will welcome them with open arms as well

Old 11-17-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I'm sure Darien will welcome them with open arms as well
Believe it or not but Darien has "affordable" housing. There is The Heights and The Old Town Hall Houses. I also believe that the Avalon complex in Noroton Heights has affordable units in their complex. Jay

Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM

160 posts, read 446,755 times
The surrounding middle eastern countries won't even take them in and you think its a good idea to bring them here? Colorado? Okay they have a huge surplus and can afford it. But our State thinks we can afford to house them? What a joke.

Not to mention the FBI director said it himself -- all they can do is run a name in the database, if nothing comes up there is nothing else they can go off of. The risk/reward of doing this is literally lopsided as can be (hint: there is no reward).

Just charge it all to the CT credit card, its the democratic way of doing things so why would they change it. CT might vote republican for the first time in 28 years because of this -- what a great day that would be.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 AM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Not s Swift reader eh?

Seriously though, which is a statistically more likely scenario: death by terrorists or bad drivers? It's bad drivers and its not even close. What happened was incredibly tragic and horrific, but the point of the operation was to cajole western powers into rash action and to prove IS can effectively "wag the dog" so to speak. We must remain in our righteous resolve, and not give those animals (as media shrewd as they are) the PR they need to stay relevant on a silver platter with a nice neon bow. Its classic realpolitik and once we see it that way instead of Huntington's absolutely disasterous "clash of civilizations" then we are going to face this issue and those like issues like it well pop up again.

That's why I'm all for helping refugees here.
cant say it better myself.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 AM

It is pretty obvious that this thread has gone off topic again. Sorry but I am closing it down. If you wish to discuss the refugee situation in this country, there are more appropriate forums to do that. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut