U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,457 times

Advertisements

I feel so bad for all of the people affected... I checked out a house in Stafford this weekend that I really liked, as I'm looking to buy my first home. Had everything I wanted. Sat through 2 hours of paperwork to put an offer in on it, but then went home and looked up the advisory that my realtor supplied (they are apparently just now being required to disclose the advisory). They say nothing after 98 has been reported.. yet. This house was built in 99, and is very close to JJ Mottes, so it's probably their concrete. Even if the house I was looking at was fine, when the values of all these other homes drops and buyers are weary, the rest of the market will probably go with it. So I ended up not submitting the offer.

It just seems they have no idea as to the scope of the whole issue, and since it takes so long for symptoms to develop, more will probably come up as time goes on. But in looking up pyrrhotite, it looks like this happened recently in Canada as well, with over 1700 homes being affected by it. That's crazy! Not sure how long they were doing buildings for, but JJ Mottes says they haven't changed anything over the years, which is another sign that points to the damage just beginning, but who knows. Hope the people get help though..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:00 PM

166 posts, read 99,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyzor7021 View Post
I feel so bad for all of the people affected... I checked out a house in Stafford this weekend that I really liked, as I'm looking to buy my first home.
It's much harder for those with single family homes. I feel really bad for those people especially the ones who have to sell but can't. At least with a condo the cost to repair will be shared. It's really a mess and unfortunately, no one knows how many houses will be affected over time.
I won't keep it on the market too long though. Worse case scenario, I'll rent it out for the next few years and hope this gets resolved.

Good luck with your house hunting!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,237 times
All good thoughts about possible other causes of the concrete problem, but sadly there is more than enough information to pin the blame on the concrete company that is ruining the lives of so many families in north central CT. We've already paid the big price and replaced our foundation. Why the state of CT is so impotent and continues to allow this bad actor to ruin more lives is a complete mystery!

Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,695,473 times
For anyone who didn't think the "fix is in" on this issue this latest news should leave no doubt.

A quote;

The state legislature's Insurance & Real Estate Committee recently proposed a bill that would require anyone who insures a home to purchase a policy with a costly and nationally unprecedented coverage mandate.
House Bill 5522 (An Act Concerning Homeowners Insurance Policies and Coverage for the Peril of Collapse) is intended to address the "crumbling foundations"

Expanded homeowners insurance proposal harmful to consumers | HartfordBusiness.com

Now a number of people have already reported that their insurance company dropped this provision and/or specifically excluded "crumbling foundation" claims BEFORE this story broke.

Now they want to spread the risk to the entire pool of home owners in CT and they still will not be covering the previous claims on top of it. They know or at the minimum fear a large class action lawsuit coming their way and are thinking of ways to cover those potential loses.

I also want to know who the hell came up with this bill and brought it to committee since the story only says "The controversial bill narrowly passed out of committee by a vote of 10-9" I want a name and I want to know who donate(s) to their campaign.

This has corruption & back room dealing written all over it. I hope the press can find some answers, because the legislature isn't going to.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM

24,593 posts, read 40,150,372 times
It looks like the state has found the probable cause for the crumbling foundations in eastern Connecticut. Jay

State links pyrrhotite to crumbling concrete | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 06-03-2016, 10:36 AM

Governor Malloy signed a relief bill for homeowners facing crumbling foundations in eastern Connecticut. Hopefully this will help them. Jay

Governor signs concrete foundation relief into law | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 06-03-2016, 11:46 AM

419 posts, read 335,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Governor Malloy signed a relief bill for homeowners facing crumbling foundations in eastern Connecticut. Hopefully this will help them. Jay

Governor signs concrete foundation relief into law | HartfordBusiness.com
If I understand the article correctly, what this does is allow the homeowner to temporarily decrease the assessed value of their house so their property taxes go down.

While that's a step in the right direction, there's a lot further to go. I hope the government does the right thing and either finds a way to force insurers to cover these costs, or provides direct relief to homeowners.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
If I understand the article correctly, what this does is allow the homeowner to temporarily decrease the assessed value of their house so their property taxes go down.

While that's a step in the right direction, there's a lot further to go. I hope the government does the right thing and either finds a way to force insurers to cover these costs, or provides direct relief to homeowners.
The state is in no position to financially help these owners. I doubt that the very powerful insurance lobby in our state would allow the state to force them to cover it either. I feel badly for these owners but I am not sure what they can do at this point. Jay

Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM

419 posts, read 335,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The state is in no position to financially help these owners. I doubt that the very powerful insurance lobby in our state would allow the state to force them to cover it either. I feel badly for these owners but I am not sure what they can do at this point. Jay
Why don't you think the state could help? If there were 300 affected houses, and it cost $200,000 to fix an affected foundation, that would be $60 million. We're not so broke that we can't help our fellow citizens, IMO.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:38 PM

166 posts, read 99,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
Why don't you think the state could help? If there were 300 affected houses, and it cost $200,000 to fix an affected foundation, that would be $60 million. We're not so broke that we can't help our fellow citizens, IMO.
And the number of homes affected is in all probability higher than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut