U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:32 PM

24,924 posts, read 40,552,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
https://www.wfsb.com/news/tolland-sc...ea5d4c757.html

Gets worse for Tolland - see article above about a middle school that has the problem too
Yikes! Thatís not good. I wonder if other large buildings will turn up with problems. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,947,202 times
We looked at a few homes in the Tolland area. What we couldn't figure out was why some of the newer 80s and up homes were as cheap or cheaper than some of the smaller older homes with all things being considered such as lot size. That's just not how things work in real estate. Then we did the research. Bullet dodged.

It's really unfortunate as that quarry seemed to have done a land office business in CT all over the state with Tolland being an epicenter.

Old Today, 11:31 AM

3,965 posts, read 3,905,471 times
I had a feeling this would go beyond residential buildings. This problem is going to take decades to fix. The state can pay for testing pretty easily but going beyond that is going to take awhile. I predict a fair amount of people are going to move to more urban areas probably Hartford, New Haven, Springfield and maybe Worcester. People cannot pay for a house twice and frankly there might not be enough contractors to fix all of this. Even if funds from the Feds were there of billions how long would it take to replace tens of thousands of foundations?

The main fear in the back of my mind is anything with an environmental impact. Anything that burns a form of a fuel. Oil, gas, coal, wood etc. Anything that is the form of storage, especially of wastes and near bodies of water. If anything like that happens it is apt to create the potential for a superfund site which waves all local and state control.

Old Today, 01:15 PM

1,786 posts, read 717,608 times
I pretty sure some Condo developments have been having issues with this as well. Makes it tricky buying a house for sure.

Old Today, 02:52 PM

4,831 posts, read 7,672,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I pretty sure some Condo developments have been having issues with this as well. Makes it tricky buying a house for sure.
Yes, and sadly they are excluded from the CFSIC aid package:

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...115-story.html

"hope was shattered when CFSIC launched and Cranick noticed that the language in the bill passed by the state excluded condominiums from funding"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut