Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:34 AM

505 posts, read 424,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well I guess immigrants like Igor Sikorsky (do I really need to tell you what he founded), Sergy Brin (cofounder of Google), Andrew Grove (founder of Itel), Steve Chen of YouTube and Jerry Yang of Yahoo have not added anything to this country. There are MANY. That is what has made this country great. MAybe you need a history lesson. Jay

Of course I know who Sikorsky is!!!

I don't need any comments on how opposition to these "refugees" is due to ignorance or any type of narrow view. They are perfectly justified in light of the growing Islamic attacks on the west and the rise of Salafi ideology across the Middle East.

I don't need you to make assumptions on what I do and don't know. I'm an avid reader of history on many topics and will debate you any day of the week!!!

Syria is/was a backwards hellhole of a country-and these conditions are part of the reasons they went into civil war to begin with. It is up to THEM to justify their presence to US since our society is completely different and we have a much higher standard of living.

The U.S. has been built up because we had entrepreneurial people come and take risks and work hard- The people you mentioned are exceptions to the rule. Syrians are NOT responsible for America's or CT's success in any way shape or form.

It isn't 1800 anymore. The U.S. has a large population and many areas are already settled and have thriving companies. These days many people come to the U.S. to see what they can squeeze from the taxpayers.

Anyone who comes from Syria should only be allowed in if they have advanced degrees and/or has a job lined up/ someone willing to support them.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:35 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
What I heard is that it is not first generation refugees that are the "issue." The problem is the 2nd generation seems to be the ones who get radicalized. While vetting helps the adults now, the children can't get vetted. For some reason when some of the children grow up (NOT A BLANKET STATEMENT) they are prone this type of behavior. The Paris attackers are a perfect example. They were second generation. Kids of first generation refugees.

My first question is, could someone give me a link to show me what the actual process is?
This explained the process pretty well: 4 Things To Know About The Vetting Process For Syrian Refugees : NPR

I think whether children become radicalized here is almost totally within our control. The reason that there are so many problems in France is that the Muslim population is pretty much treated as dishrags. There are loads of disaffected Muslim youth who can't get jobs, etc... That's what breeds radicalism.

I'd bet if the children in Hartford are given reasonable access to opportunity, etc., you're not going to see any radicalization.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post

The U.S. has been built up because we had entrepreneurial people come and take risks and work hard- The people you mentioned are exceptions to the rule. Syrians are NOT responsible for America's or CT's success in any way shape or form.
Much of the entrepreneurship is due to people who weren't born here. The stereotypical Asian dry cleaner, the Indians who own a convenience store, the guy who owns the lawn service, etc...

In NYC they call a convenience store a bodega...

You're contradicting yourself-- You say the US has been built up by entrepreneurial people, but then say the examples of foreign entrepreneurs that Jay mentioned are exceptions. Not so much.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:41 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,463,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'd bet if the children in Hartford are given reasonable access to opportunity, etc., you're not going to see any radicalization.
Hartford can't even offer opportunities to the young people they have there now. The north end just breeds violence because it's the only thing they now. Imagine how hard it would be for a Syrian youth.

This is another topic, but if the goal is to offer more opportunity to these youths, put them in Avon or New Cannan not Hartford.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Not really, actually. They came from largely moderate households, and many came from western educational backgrounds that got radicalized latter in life. Even Bin Laden came from a wealthy, well connected family in Saudi Arabia and many of his brothers are barons of African development and contracting. Others come from generally educated families. Seriously we can't see it as "their" society problem but that ISIS and AQ act exactly like cults that search for people to fulfill their political goals.

No it IS THEIR fault- and NOBODY else's! ISIS and Al Qaeda have the support of tens of millions throughout the Muslim world! They all cite Islamic teaching and ideology as their motivation. They are not some weird fringe cults with only a handful of members.

If they want to live like that I'm fine with it personally. But the U.S. is NOT an Islamic country and we should be allowing in hostile people AND supporting them financially!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:46 AM

9,849 posts, read 7,600,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengushark View Post
To some that's not the point. Citing Hillary's email scandal as an example, Democrats typically suck at security considerations. Queue the timer for a Hartford terror attack. And remember who let them in.
Not really worried about security it is what it is. Just going to go about the mundane as it is. Look at CT who had AL Queda member's training here in the Naugy State Forest find out year's later.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
This explained the process pretty well: 4 Things To Know About The Vetting Process For Syrian Refugees : NPR

I think whether children become radicalized here is almost totally within our control. The reason that there are so many problems in France is that the Muslim population is pretty much treated as dishrags. There are loads of disaffected Muslim youth who can't get jobs, etc... That's what breeds radicalism.

And there you have it!! When the refugees in the U.S. begin bombing here it will be American's fault not theirs.

That's the excuse that people like mlassoff and those who approve of the refuges will use when the terror attacks happen down the road. It's always society and the host nation!

U.S. generosity and financial support will not be remembered- only that the people were "disenchanted" by the treatment received.

The French people are NOT responsible for the attacks against them. The French are the victims.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
And there you have it!! When the refugees in the U.S. begin bombing here it will be American's fault not theirs.

That's the excuse that people like mlassoff and those who approve of the refuges will use when the terror attacks happen down the road. It's always society and the host nation!

U.S. generosity and financial support will not be remembered- only that the people were "disenchanted" by the treatment received.

The French people are NOT responsible for the attacks against them. The French are the victims.
Oh good grief. You sound hysterical. I said that whether or not they become radicalized is within our control... Don't put (absurd) words in my mouth.

For the 40th time. The refugees are the most vetted group coming to the US. Why aren't you worried about those who come here on student visas, business or educational visa-- or no visa at all. Six of the Paris attackers could have walked right in to the US with not vetting what-so-ever. Why are you silent on those issues?

Old 11-20-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Much of the entrepreneurship is due to people who weren't born here. The stereotypical Asian dry cleaner, the Indians who own a convenience store, the guy who owns the lawn service, etc...

In NYC they call a convenience store a bodega...

You're contradicting yourself-- You say the US has been built up by entrepreneurial people, but then say the examples of foreign entrepreneurs that Jay mentioned are exceptions. Not so much.

There are plenty of American's who do that type of work as well- in fact the majority.

I'm not contradicting myself. Jay selected a handful of innovators who are among the leaders of their field and are clearly very talented. The abilities they posses belong to only a small number of people.

And in third world countries these types of people are even rarer!

That's why it is important to apply selective criteria to people who come here rather than just bringing in anyone who wants to come.

There is No need to bring in 10s to hundreds of thousands of Syrians just to get 1 Sikorsky equivalent!

Old 11-20-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Oh good grief. You sound hysterical. I said that whether or not they become radicalized is within our control... Don't put (absurd) words in my mouth.

For the 40th time. The refugees are the most vetted group coming to the US. Why aren't you worried about those who come here on student visas, business or educational visa-- or no visa at all. Six of the Paris attackers could have walked right in to the US with not vetting what-so-ever. Why are you silent on those issues?

Don't try and talk yourself out of it! That you brought up the notion that French society is in ANY way responsible for the attacks is ludicrous and has already been floated by people trying to "explain" the actions of radical Muslims.

Blaming society for the actions of radicalized individuals has always been a standard excuse in use for decades.

I am concerned about all the groups you mentioned. I would certainly cut down/increase security around them

But the refugees settling in CT was the latest in the news. I don't want another thread closed for being off topic. I have received enough warnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut