Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,131 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Fairfield in the next 18 months. I have read several of the posts here and we have spent some time looking around at houses etc in the community this past year. We are moving from a situation where the children's school has aftercare on site allowing me to pick them up around 530pm. I was trying to find what afterschool options are for Fairfield middleschoolers -- I see the Y has a program but only to 7th grade (and doesnt seem to include Fairfield Woods). Does the school district offer any options?

What do typical FF middle school kids do who have both parents working until 5-530p?

My second question is in preferences for the different middle schools and high schools. From what I have read on this forum, the prevailing attitude is that for the most part 'you can't go wrong' with any of the middle or high schools, but I am sure that each has their own culture/flavor. And in trying to find the right fit for our family, would love to know the differences.

Also what about from the kids perspective? While parents may feel comfortable with all the schools --what is the rivalry like between the schools and is there a perception among kids about better/worse, etc.

Any one up for trying to label the 3 middle schools and 2 high schools ? Thanks so much for your input!

Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:44 PM

34,797 posts, read 56,677,393 times
I believe that by 7th grade most students would just go home. They are certainly old enough to be alone for a couple of hours. That is why you do not find many after school programs for that age group.

As for schools, years ago Warde served the poorer eastern side of Fairfield while Ludlowe served the wealthier western side of town. That has changed. The town wanted to better balance the makeup of each school when they reopened Ludlowe a number of years ago so you now have sections of Greenfield Hill and other wealthier areas go to Warde. That said people I know in Fairfield tell me that there is not much difference between the high school education. I suggest finding a home and neighborhood you like and not worry about which school your children would go to. Your children will get an excellent education in either school. Jay

Old 11-24-2015, 04:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,163,012 times
No real rivarly, most kids intermingle easily between the two high schools. Both are great places to learn and generally have similar curricula (mandated by the town).

Old 11-24-2015, 05:43 PM

26 posts, read 32,494 times
I've been through the Fairfield school system from K-12. In middle school at Woods I did cross country for part of the year and there was a late bus option to take kids home afterward. When I wasn't doing sports after school, my parents had no issue with me simply taking the bus and arriving home before them.
Woods was always considered a better middle school because for years it has been a New England League of Middle Schools Spotlight School.
Also what Jay said above still happens to be a false misconception about the Fairfield high schools rivalry. Everyone assumes that Warde had a poorer demographic because of the Tunxis/Knapps neighborhood and its bordering to Bridgeport while Ludlowe had the beach side of town and borders Westport. Warde serves all of Greenfield Hill which is something people tend to forget. Both high schools do have a balanced demographic. My graduating class was fairly competitive with many kids taking APs by their sophomore year. More than several kids attended ivy's and plenty attend prestigious schools.

hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: