Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:34 PM

47 posts, read 100,908 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I are thinking about relocating to the new haven area. We are primarily looking for very friendly communities with good public schools. Housing budget 700k to 1 mil. Orange and North Haven seem nice and I just wanted people's opinion. I looked at some of the water towns (Madison etc) and although beautiful the houses seemed far from stores, restaurants, shopping areas etc. I would greatly welcome any and all advice. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 09:41 PM

21,584 posts, read 31,072,041 times
What do you expect to get for $1m in these towns? I ask because that's pretty much top tier in both towns. Both are great communities with good schools. North Haven has their own high school, while Orange students travel to Amity High, a shared High school located in neighboring Woodbridge. Orange is a bit more affluent, but both towns have their share of all classes.

Where is work?

Old 12-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Also want to add, you may want to look into Branford, Cheshire and Wallingford.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:14 PM

4,715 posts, read 5,938,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleran View Post
Hello, my family and I are thinking about relocating to the new haven area. We are primarily looking for very friendly communities with good public schools. Housing budget 700k to 1 mil. Orange and North Haven seem nice and I just wanted people's opinion. I looked at some of the water towns (Madison etc) and although beautiful the houses seemed far from stores, restaurants, shopping areas etc. I would greatly welcome any and all advice. Thank you.
in terms of test scores, Orange definitely performs much better than North Haven. That said, as kidyankee said, both towns will offer a larger variety of courses and programs.

You might want to look into Woodbridge as well, as Woodbridge and Orange share a middle school and high school.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:27 PM

21,620 posts, read 27,908,677 times
Orange has more shopping nearby if that's important. Although North Haven has Wallingford which isn't too far. The sheer amount of shopping and restaurants is greater in the Orange vicinity though, as you have Milford nearby. Plus you have better access to Fairfield County and NYC.

$1M is at the extreme high end for Orange, and beyond the high end for North Haven. As others mentioned, Woodbridge is worth checking out too. It might be a better fit for your budget, although it's further from conveniences.

You didn't mention where work is.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Orange has more shopping nearby if that's important. Although North Haven has Wallingford which isn't too far. The sheer amount of shopping and restaurants is greater in the Orange vicinity though, as you have Milford nearby. Plus you have better access to Fairfield County and NYC.

$1M is at the extreme high end for Orange, and beyond the high end for North Haven. As others mentioned, Woodbridge is worth checking out too. It might be a better fit for your budget, although it's further from conveniences.

You didn't mention where work is.
Don't forget that North Haven has Universal Drive, with everything anyone could want.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:18 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,357,266 times
It's really about personal preference. Traffic would be much less of an annoyance in North Haven to deal with on a daily basis, and your price range is the high end for both towns (though NH has some houses in the Ridge Rd/Kings Highway part of town that are in that range and quite nice).

One downside is that North Haven has a quickly aging population, very few younger people are moving in or staying if they grew up there. Taxes are also very high.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 AM

34,797 posts, read 56,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleran View Post
If I had that kind of budget in the New Haven area, I am not sure I would select either of these towns. I would consider Orange but would be more interested in adjacent Woodbridge instead. Instead of North Haven, I would be looking more at Cheshire.

As far as the "water towns" go, most of your daily shopping, restaurant and entertainment needs are there. Really the only thing you are missing is being near a major shopping mall and a lot of big box stores. I am not really sure how important that is to you but if it is, then you may be right to consider other options. Jay

Old 12-14-2015, 08:07 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,634,064 times
Orange, Woodbridge, or Milford

Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 AM

3,434 posts, read 3,924,592 times
The downside to Woodbridge is that you will have to drive a bit to access shopping and restaurants, moreso than in Orange or North Haven. The southern part of town, say south of Center Road., will still put you a reasonable distance from shopping on Rt. 34, Rt. 1 in Orange and Milford, Rt. 63 in Amity/Westville and downtown New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut