Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 772 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in East Lyme, and had a question regarding having my wood floors refinished (I apologize if this is not the right forum):

My significant other came down with a bad case of food poisoning over the weekend, which manifested itself all over our couch

While cleaning the mess, I left the couch cushions out to dry on the floor. Not realizing the danger of doing so, the water apparently caused the black material at the bottom of the couch cushions to be absorbed by my floors, as you can hopefully see in the pictures (the black spots on and between the planks).

I tried a baking soda/white vinegar mixture, which needless to say did not help.

My questions:
-Do I need to get them refinished, or is there an easier/less expensive fix?
-If they do need to be refinished, can someone pass along the name of a reputable company?
-If they need to be refinished, is it entirely necessary to do the entire first floor (living area/kitchen), or can it be done in the relatively small area affected (approximately 25 square feet)? How much should something like this cost?

Thank you in advance for your help!

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mwh441.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/uribb.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:46 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
they definitely look like they could use a good refinishing. No idea on who could do it locally, though. (I'm also in East Lyme - hi neighbor!)

Depending on how patient you are and how much hardwood you have, you can maybe do it yourself as well. Not sure if you can rent the tools needed, or you'd have to buy them.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
You might try and post the photos on the House forum to see what they say. As for local wood floor refinishers, contact a local flooring or hardware store for recommendations. Jay

Old 12-18-2015, 10:30 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I'd say the black spots are wet spots still. Give it some time to dry. You will still probably have some damage.

If it's actually spots from the couch you may be able to carefully scrape them off. Otherwise it's wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut