Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:04 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Redding, Wilton, Easton, Ridgefield, Weston
These towns are pretty pricey. The OP can get more house for their money in other towns. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:50 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpink View Post
My husband got a great new position in CT and we will be relocating from a place we truly love in NJ. We lived in Bergen County for years before buying a home, and really felt like we were making an informed decision; moving to CT, however, we know almost nothing about Fairfield County except that it's nice. I'm feeling nervous about a move without years of research!

We need a town with great schools that has a quick (less than 30 min) commute to Ridgefield. Going into Manhattan semi-painlessly is a plus, but my husband's old commute into the city was so awful that we have pretty low expectations.

We want to spend no more than $500k for a 3-4 BR. We would like a town that has a strong community, hopefully an active UCC church and that's got interesting, quirky homes available in our range. (Like, we like older historic houses, mid century moderns, etc.)

People, including our relocation consultant, have mentioned Ridgefield itself, Redding, Wilton and Easton. Any place else we should look? How does Newtown fit in to these towns? Any other ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance!
If you work in Ridgefield, then Ridgefield itself would be great. $500K might be a little light for Wilton. No need to go all the way to Redding or Easton unless you can't sacrifice a little square footage. Forget Newtown, unless you want to have friends and neighbors there who only want to talk about the incident and life revolving around it.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:51 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
If you work in Ridgefield, then Ridgefield itself would be great. $500K might be a little light for Wilton. No need to go all the way to Redding or Easton unless you can't sacrifice a little square footage. Forget Newtown, unless you want to have friends and neighbors there who only want to talk about the incident and life revolving around it.
I agree with suggestions for New Fairfield and Brookfield. Bethel is nice too, but decidedly more blue collar than the surrounding towns (excluding Danbury of course), although Bethel does have a walkable downtown.

Danbury's immigrant contingent has expanded into Bethel as well, and for some people this is good news, for others -- not good news. OP has to draw its own conclusions.

New Fairfield seems to have lower property taxes, outside of Danbury.

I would compare Ridgefield to Ridgewood NJ. Some members here have expressed "stuffiness" about Ridgefield (keeping with the Joneses - type of environment). I guess that it is due to many Ridgefield residents commuting to Manhattan (via Katonah btw).

Old 12-31-2015, 03:13 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

Danbury's immigrant contingent has expanded into Bethel as well,
This, I haven't noticed, at least not in the are where I live

Old 12-31-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
This, I haven't noticed, at least not in the are where I live
It has happened along Grassy Plain. At work (RE Investment / Development) we ran a profile for Bethel, and found the logical result. Spanish has surpassed Portuguese (Brazilians) in Grassy Plain area.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:36 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
It has happened along Grassy Plain. At work (RE Investment / Development) we ran a profile for Bethel, and found the logical result. Spanish has surpassed Portuguese (Brazilians) in Grassy Plain area.
Makes sense, thats pretty much the Danbury / Bethel border....I'm on the other side.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Makes sense, thats pretty much the Danbury / Bethel border....I'm on the other side.
Area next to Newtown / Redding / Ridgefield is very sough-after.

Emerging middle class of Hispanic (and to some degree Asian) descent are replacing outgoing Caucasian middle class along Grassy Plain.

Bethel homes are appreciating steadily. If the Danbury Line ever improved its speed, Bethel prices might jump -- right now it just outside of a healthy commute time from NYC.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:06 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Bethel homes are appreciating steadily. If the Danbury Line ever improved its speed, Bethel prices might jump -- right now it just outside of a healthy commute time from NYC.
? its been the same for years..only that area affected and has no affect on the school system .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut