Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 16,589 times

Advertisements

How does the property tax on cars work if you sell your car soon after the October 1st grand list deadline?

Let's say I sell my car on October 20, 2011. When the property tax bill comes around next summer, will they charge me the full tax for the car or just the prorated value from October 1st to October 20th?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:04 PM

470 posts, read 1,652,474 times
pro-rated. You might need to go to your tax collector's office and show proof of the sale though.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,856,515 times
Yup, just what jaydez said.

When we moved to MA, we just had to mail them our new MA titles and proof of residency for them to send us back the "leftover" tax amount. You have to pay the tax in full when you get the bill, of course, but then you just need to give them proof that the car's no longer there for you to get back what taxes you didn't "use."

Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,604,359 times
Brings me to my next question. I'm sick of the Indian dude - Toyota stereotype

But I really love Japanese cars. I'm looking at the Nissan Leaf with longing attitudes.

They say the government provides subsidies on electric cars. Can any electric car owner explain? How much will I be taxed in terms of Vehicle tax?

I'm sick and tired of throwing away 50 bucks for 10 gallons. There was a time I loved going to Shell, do 24 bucks on 10 gallons and wander around mindlessly..... these days, not so much.

I still wander around mindlessly

Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,777,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

But I really love Japanese cars. I'm looking at the Nissan Leaf with longing attitudes.

They say the government provides subsidies on electric cars. Can any electric car owner explain? How much will I be taxed in terms of Vehicle tax?

I'm sick and tired of throwing away 50 bucks for 10 gallons. There was a time I loved going to Shell, do 24 bucks on 10 gallons and wander around mindlessly..... these days, not so much.

I still wander around mindlessly
There was a time when local and\or state govt's provided tax exemptions or incentives for high mileage vehicles. It looks like most of those programs have been phased out by now. I do know at one point there was an exemption for sales tax on the purchase of high mileage vehicles in Conn.

You can check this site out for some details regarding that (for Conn)

DRS: IP 2008(14), Sales and Use Tax Exemptions for Purchases or Leases of Fuel-Efficient Passenger Motor Vehicles

Some or all of the bridges and tunnels in NYC also provided reduced tolls for high mileage vehicles as well at some point. Again I think most of those incentives have come to an end.

I think the only exemptions or incentives for high mileage vehicles are available at the federal level only now.

IMO electric or high mileage cars are not worth it. Unless you plan to own it for more than 5 years. Since electric or high mileage models are higher priced than comparable gas powered models.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,465,731 times
My big problem with the leaf is that real world range has been closer to 35-55 miles. Then your stuck. The charging rate is ridiculously long as well. Sure, probally good for manys' work commute, but what about the rest?. If Im lookin to save $ per mile, I'd go with a prius for 45-55 MPG.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,534,206 times
Why is there a tax on selling your car, a depreciating asset, in the state of Connecticut?

That sounds like a stupid policy that one of the Democrats out here in California might have proposed back in the day.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM

91 posts, read 169,193 times
Allow me to add something. If you sell your car and are getting another one (I'd assume this is the case, right?) MAKE SURE that you take your plates from the old car and transfer them onto the new one. This is critical as you'll still be charged property tax on the old car, unless, like the previous poster said, you make a trip to your town assessor and explain. If you transfer plates you DO NOT have to do this and the tax will be automatically assumed to the new car. Very easy....
If you are not getting another car in place of the one you're selling, it is a little different:
Take your plates to the local DMV and turn them in.
They will give you a receipt-NEVER lose this!
Do not cancel your insurance on this car UNTIL you have handed in your plates to DMV.
I think I've covered everything. The state will fine you heavily, I think 400 dollars, if you don't follow procedure. Be careful and save everything!!
Marc

Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM

327 posts, read 1,114,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What the toyota corolla or the nissan altima? At least you guys commute in numbers.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 16,589 times
Thank you, everyone, for the information, and especially to DandJ and Marc Wallace for the extra details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut