Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:07 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

One warning: Amtrak goes to Penn Station which is tragic in appearance and has a large amount of homeless sleeping in it day and night under this mayor, and you will not want to loiter there. MIdtown & Rockefeller Center are north of it. Penn is fairly close to Empire State Building, though.
1) It's been that way under every mayor since Koch. Absurd partisanship even here? Please be accurate.

2) It's perfectly safe. Ugly, dirty, but safe. There is a huge police presence in Penn Station, and families with kids in there all the time. I am there all the time to take Amtrak...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 PM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
1) It's been that way under every mayor since Koch. Absurd partisanship even here? Please be accurate.

2) It's perfectly safe. Ugly, dirty, but safe. There is a huge police presence in Penn Station, and families with kids in there all the time. I am there all the time to take Amtrak...

(1) It got better under Rudy G and Bloomberg, who had pd moving folks out of there. I am in Penn at minimum 2x a month. (NOt just at an Amtrak counter passing through).

(2) It is somewhat safe, a small police presence, but not nearly as safe as Grand Central. There was a murder outside with 2 more shot 2 months ago.

So I would advise OP to use MN and avoid Penn Station, with family.

1 reported dead, 2 wounded in subway shooting near NYC's Penn Station | Fox News

Old 01-10-2016, 09:19 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
(1) It got better under Rudy G and Bloomberg, who had pd moving folks out of there. I am in Penn at minimum 2x a month. (NOt just at an Amtrak counter passing through).

(2) It is somewhat safe, a small police presence, but not nearly as safe as Grand Central. There was a murder outside with 2 more shot 2 months ago.

So I would advise OP to use MN and avoid Penn Station, with family.

1 reported dead, 2 wounded in subway shooting near NYC's Penn Station | Fox News
I am there 2- 3 x a month too.. I don't understand what you mean by "just at the Amtrak counter passing through". Are you sleeping there? Do you have a p/t job there? I ride LIRR and Jersey Transit at times too... What makes your time/observation more accurate than mine? We both use the station....

The murder was OUTSIDE the station. Could have been any street in Manhattan. Doesn't reflect on the station itself which is in a perfectly safe neighborhood.

Yes, Grand Central is nicer. It even has an Apple Store-- But Penn Station is not dangerous nor to be avoided if convenient for travel.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 PM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am there 2- 3 x a month too.. I don't understand what you mean by "just at the Amtrak counter passing through". Are you sleeping there? Do you have a p/t job there? I ride LIRR and Jersey Transit at times too... What makes your time/observation more accurate than mine? We both use the station....

The murder was OUTSIDE the station. Could have been any street in Manhattan. Doesn't reflect on the station itself which is in a perfectly safe neighborhood.

Yes, Grand Central is nicer. It even has an Apple Store-- But Penn Station is not dangerous nor to be avoided if convenient for travel.

At Penn, NJ Rail and LIRR are like a homeless encampment with passengers interrupting them. The homeless quantity at any time is MANY dozen in NJ Rail corridors alone. Sleeping in the middle of aisles meant for movement. The cops stay in the far edges of Penn close in one case to Amtrak area, doing squat, no doubt per De Blasio as under Bloomberg, Penn was not overridden with homeless.

Amtrak area is somewhat better, but not good.

I am hoping the next mayor sweeps them out, as Penn should not be their "shelter". Pre Rudy G and Bloomberg, they formerly took over entire waiting room of Grand Central. Under them, that stopped.

Until then, I would advise OP to avoid Penn Station with family. Grand Central is a far more suitable environment. Her family will be safe there.

I now avoid Penn whenever I can. Went in/out of NY Saturday using PATH to 23rd St both ways.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 01-10-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 03:33 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Penn Station is not unsafe.

That being said (and welcome back Dawn!), I would probably drive down to New Haven or Milford and take Metro North in. Amtrak is a bit more expensive (nicer trains, though). I'll admit, I'm not at all familiar with their schedule out of Hartford.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Penn Station is not unsafe.

That being said (and welcome back Dawn!), I would probably drive down to New Haven or Milford and take Metro North in. Amtrak is a bit more expensive (nicer trains, though). I'll admit, I'm not at all familiar with their schedule out of Hartford.
Hi, Kid!!!!

Old 01-11-2016, 07:16 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
O/S of a few express from South Norwalk, they all stop at about 10-12 stations until going express at Stamford. That is why Amtrak covers New Haven-NYC much faster..few stops. I have gone Amtrak Bridgeport-Iselin, NJ in 2 hours. That is 50 miles of train travel after NYC.

Most MN bypass a few stops each, but stop at 75% or more of the stations.

I did not check the Amtrak time for the OP, btw, but IMO MN will be better as I am not a fan of a family departing from Penn Station, as a good chunk of it is a "unofficial homeless station". Plus, MN runs more often than Amtrak. And parking in Milford is easy at that station.
The bigger point is to clarify for the OP that Amtrak is not an hour, it's 3 hours with 2 trains.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The bigger point is to clarify for the OP that Amtrak is not an hour, it's 3 hours with 2 trains.
Hi, Stylo. Thanks. Yes, when I first started looking for the best way, I saw that Amtrak was not the quickest or easiest solution. At that point -- especially if we're just going for the day (not staying overnight in NYC) -- I'd rather buck up the $$ for parking and drive in than spend all that time travelling (and transferring).

Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
There is Amtrak from Windsor Locks, but they are only every couple hours, and most have to change in New Haven. If possible, I'd drive down to New Haven and take Metro North from there. Cheaper + more options (every half hour at least outside rush hour until mid evening) then Amtrak from Windsor Locks.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Some answers here are several paragraphs deep. For a day trip, I'd suggest the keep it simple route summed up in a few words, here they are:

Drive to Stamford station and take a metro north express.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut