Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:16 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessly View Post
These sort of people tend to not aim for overall statewide quality, but rather to improve educational inequality. For years, Connecticut has LED THE NATION in achievement gap AS WELL as being home to one of the highest quality educational systems in the US. I think that's the issue that privatizers, charter school proponents, and Teach for America employees are trying to tackle; because I know CT is a rich white guy upper-middle middle-upper state, but we tend to forget that our poor and people of color are living very different lives...
Bull****. They do nothing but perpetuation inequality and exploit poor students and parents to get them some nice government contracts. The achievement gap exists long before kids get to school and TFA and the other reform scumbags (that's what they are) ignore that and think drilling kids to be test taking machines is the answer. There are plenty of teacher in the inner cities (some who live there, some who don't) that know what needs to be done to bring inner city students up. But congress doesn't listen to them because they are too busy being wined and dined by reform organization who want to blame teachers for every societal ill. How dare you say that they "forget them". TFA is not interested in tackling inequality. They are interested in growing their organization, turning teaching into a minimum wage job, and convincing poor families that only wealthy white people can save them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Umm, you guys seem to be agreeing that you don't like charter/private schools? I think somebody misread something somewhere?

Old 01-15-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessly View Post
This is a truly idiotic post for somebody who claims that CT having high quality of education = there's no educational inequality in the state.
Where did I say there wasn't inequality? I said the people you claim are trying to end it are not...and they aren't, they are making money leading people to believe they are and only idiotic people fall for it. Good job.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Where did I say there wasn't inequality? I said the people you claim are trying to end it are not...and they aren't, they are making money leading people to believe they are and only idiotic people fall for it. Good job.
What's up with the TFA hate. These are well-educated people who choose to teach at some of the most dangerous, challenging schools in the country. Yes... TFA teachers make money just like "normal teachers." So what?? The way I see it, the more well-educated teachers in the system the better. Who cares whether they apply to TFA or apply at the school.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:41 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Connecticut suburbs like Greenwich, Old saybrook, Simsbury

Old 01-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
What's up with the TFA hate. These are well-educated people who choose to teach at some of the most dangerous, challenging schools in the country. Yes... TFA teachers make money just like "normal teachers." So what?? The way I see it, the more well-educated teachers in the system the better. Who cares whether they apply to TFA or apply at the school.
Five weeks of training, focus on nothing but test scores, treat inner city kids as animals who need to be saved by wealthy white people, exploit the plight of poor kids, leave after two years, force "finder's fee" contracts" on districts, lay off traditional teachers in process (it's happened), have a cult like mentality where those that left now work for the firm by either lobbying state and federal governments for huge grants and special status for TFA, opening up "consulting" businesses and charter schools and gaining more tax payer funded contracts through the TFA connection. Sorry - they are slime. I used to forgive idealistic college grads for joining TFA and wanting to make a difference. But if they are truly the best and brightest, then they could see for themselves that this oranization is a cancer.

Now why do you think traditionally trained teachers aren't well educated?

Old 01-17-2016, 01:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Five weeks of training, focus on nothing but test scores, treat inner city kids as animals who need to be saved by wealthy white people, exploit the plight of poor kids, leave after two years, force "finder's fee" contracts" on districts, lay off traditional teachers in process (it's happened), have a cult like mentality where those that left now work for the firm by either lobbying state and federal governments for huge grants and special status for TFA, opening up "consulting" businesses and charter schools and gaining more tax payer funded contracts through the TFA connection. Sorry - they are slime. I used to forgive idealistic college grads for joining TFA and wanting to make a difference. But if they are truly the best and brightest, then they could see for themselves that this oranization is a cancer.

I don't know about all the behind the scenes stuff but several of my friends did TFA and worked their butts off and really cared for what they were doing (none were "wealthy white people" actually - not that there's anything wrong with it). Maybe the system is messed up but those kids are putting off a much easier life to go do a difficult job... they're idealistic, sure, but shouldn't we be encouraging kids to be idealistic and help under-served communities when possible. And I didn't say traditionally trained teachers aren't well educated... I said the more teachers, from any source, who are well educated the better.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:47 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:

You nailed it, great post. Their "save the world" money grab is strikingly similar to carbon tax and trade.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut suburbs like Greenwich, Old saybrook, Simsbury
What does this statement even mean?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I don't know about all the behind the scenes stuff but several of my friends did TFA and worked their butts off and really cared for what they were doing (none were "wealthy white people" actually - not that there's anything wrong with it). Maybe the system is messed up but those kids are putting off a much easier life to go do a difficult job... they're idealistic, sure, but shouldn't we be encouraging kids to be idealistic and help under-served communities when possible. And I didn't say traditionally trained teachers aren't well educated... I said the more teachers, from any source, who are well educated the better.
Make it a better source then. A program that allows a two year stint in unstable communities is a bad idea. Letting kids think they are a community service project is demeaning. I'm glad they worked their butts off...welcome to the club of those that still do that. How sweet of them to sacrifice a much more lucrative and easy life to join those lifers who are teaching poor kids as a career. Are any of your friends still teaching? Do they believe in what the TFA brass has become (nothing more than a pyramid scheme)? Many alumni have issues with the road TFA has gone down. I'm good with alternative programs for people interested in teaching as a career; those that see it a small stint to jack up their law school applications or resumes can stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut