Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 11:33 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times

Advertisements

I definitely prefer living in a suburb. Id rather live in rural town than an urban core. I wouldn't mid working in a real, walkable city though. I much prefer working in the suburbs than New Haven. I'm in Branford now and it's a nice change to find easy parking when I grab lunch. It's also nice being able to grab lunch ANYWHERE knowing your not gonna roll up into the ghetto and have your car broken into if you leave it too long. I basically ate at the same 5 places in NH every day for 4 years. Somewhere like botson though, where plenty of food within walking distance doesn't sound terrible.

From a company perspective cities just make sense unless the real estate is cost prohibitive (which its not for GE). Being in a city greatly increases your labor market pool because you can pull in talent radially from all suburbs, in addition to the city itself.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 AM

854 posts, read 1,241,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
It's also nice being able to grab lunch ANYWHERE knowing your not gonna roll up into the ghetto and have your car broken into if you leave it too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryG411 View Post
No hood rat element.
Ooh, that didn't take long.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Ooh, that didn't take long.
Not even sure what you're trying to get at here? Are you implying that I'm deviously misrepresenting Most of new haven by claiming both my car and person are safer going to an unknown restaurant in The suburb of branford? To the other posters comment, are you denying that NH is "hood". ?

Not sure what is gained by ignoring either fact.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:57 PM

503 posts, read 530,512 times
Urban planners can spend a lifetime trying to shine the steaming turd of city life and they will never approach the QOL of my Connecticut suburban crime-free live/work lifestyle with 5 minute traffic-free commute and 200 restaurants/bars, best shopping in the state and huge variety of parks, hiking trails, hills/mountains, linear bike trails all within 10 minutes travel time. Open the window and a fresh breeze and the sound of birds chirping wafts in rather than noise and smog. The smarter millennials will figure it out eventually.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:00 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Urban planners can spend a lifetime trying to shine the steaming turd of city life and they will never approach the QOL of my Connecticut suburban crime-free live/work lifestyle with 5 minute traffic-free commute and 200 restaurants/bars, best shopping in the state and huge variety of parks, hiking trails, hills/mountains, linear bike trails all within 10 minutes travel time. The smarter millennials will figure it out eventually.
Part of the appeal is the somewhat dangerous/gritty/"authentic" element. Which, yes, wears off as soon as you have kids.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:16 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,849 times
Quote:
Urban planners can spend a lifetime trying to shine the steaming turd of city life and they will never approach the QOL of my Connecticut suburban crime-free live/work lifestyle with 5 minute traffic-free commute and 200 restaurants/bars, best shopping in the state and huge variety of parks, hiking trails, hills/mountains, linear bike trails all within 10 minutes travel time. Open the window and a fresh breeze and the sound of birds chirping wafts in rather than noise and smog. The smarter millennials will figure it out eventually.
shopping centers are really appealing to the amazon millennial population. I can get all that going home to my parents for the weekend. I'd take the culture and job opportunities a city has over the suburbs any day of the week right now at my age.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:00 PM

503 posts, read 530,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
shopping centers are really appealing to the amazon millennial population. I can get all that going home to my parents for the weekend. I'd take the culture and job opportunities a city has over the suburbs any day of the week right now at my age.
I guess I forgot to mention the city and all its job opportunities are only 15 min away, however through a combination of luck and good planning I will likely never have the misfortune of working there.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I guess I forgot to mention the city and all its job opportunities are only 15 min away, however through a combination of luck and good planning I will likely never have the misfortune of working there.
what city are you referring to? Your profile says Manchester, i dont blame u not wanting to live in Hartford. Fortunately there are tons of other nicer cities out there.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
what city are you referring to? Your profile says Manchester, i dont blame u not wanting to live in Hartford. Fortunately there are tons of other nicer cities out there.
I'm with Funk. i do agree with you that there's sefinitely cities better than Hartford, but I look forward to living in their suburbs . Contrary to another posters comment, I'm pretty sure younger millenials don't live in cities because they want a "gritty dangerous" environment lol. I think it has more to do with young, particularly single people, not being able to afford the suburb life. Cars , commutes, stable relatively high rent or mortgage, etc. lot of hipsters don't grow out of "hipster phase" until their late 20s too these days, and cities are definitely trendier.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I'm with Funk. i do agree with you that there's sefinitely cities better than Hartford, but I look forward to living in their suburbs . Contrary to another posters comment, I'm pretty sure younger millenials don't live in cities because they want a "gritty dangerous" environment lol. I think it has more to do with young, particularly single people, not being able to afford the suburb life. Cars , commutes, stable relatively high rent or mortgage, etc. lot of hipsters don't grow out of "hipster phase" until their late 20s too these days, and cities are definitely trendier.
Dont think thats true at all. There are tons of young people in cities that make a lot of money that prefer the city life. Not everyone wants to live in the suburbs, just as a lot dont want to live in the city. I dont think you can say one is better than the other, it really depends where you are in ur life and what u value. I personally think its a lot easier to meet people in the city versus the suburbs, especially if you dont have a preexisting social network.

And how are we defining hipsters? People that live in the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut