U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:24 PM

2,773 posts, read 2,870,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
So GE could not find enough talent in Ct per the above. Interesting. More distressing than a tax/cost issue, too.
Immelt definitely went on record citing the talent pipeline from the Boston area institutions as a big reason for the move.

GE moving headquarters to Boston for tech talent, tax cut | Reuters

To say CT has no talent is not fair...I think what is fair is to say that given the new digital direction that GE is moving in (witness all the commercials!), Boston represents far more of a critical mass for that type of talent than CT.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 PM

23,584 posts, read 9,487,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Immelt definitely went on record citing the talent pipeline from the Boston area institutions as a big reason for the move.

To say CT has no talent is not fair...I think what is fair is to say that given the new digital direction that GE is moving in (witness all the commercials!), Boston represents far more of a critical mass for that type of talent than CT.

Over taxation is an easier issue to solve, vs changing corp requirements.

Also: Millennials like cities far more than their parents did at the same age IMO, from the large number I know, plus articles I have read. F500 needs those kids. That plays badly for suburban corp hqs all across this nation long-term.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:06 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,619,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

So then moving from #44 to #25 in tax burden was just a bonus?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:45 AM

2,773 posts, read 2,870,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I don't know the material difference there, only GE's accountants would. But to the rest of the country, saying that Massachusetts attracted a company because of lower taxes would elicit guffaws!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM

1,723 posts, read 1,151,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
This doesn't take into account that waterfront in downtown Boston is probably more expensive to lease/own office space than FFC suburbs. The majority of GE HQ employees are being moved to other offices in CT so if taxes were the real reason GE moved why didn't every employee get shifted to MA?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:48 AM

610 posts, read 406,106 times
After going through the hundreds of posts and reasons for GE leaving, the obvious (at least to me) reason is---ALL of the above. I don't think anyone is in a position to know more precisely than that. It seems that they all were a part of the decision.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:00 PM

789 posts, read 547,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
After going through the hundreds of posts and reasons for GE leaving, the obvious (at least to me) reason is---ALL of the above. I don't think anyone is in a position to know more precisely than that. It seems that they all were a part of the decision.
It is true that many factors were involved. But some on here would like to think that the tax issue was completely a non-issue, when in fact anyone who has ever been around corporate planning knows it is a huge factor.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:13 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,151,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
It is true that many factors were involved. But some on here would like to think that the tax issue was completely a non-issue, when in fact anyone who has ever been around corporate planning knows it is a huge factor.
I would phrase it some of think taxes were of lesser importance. Based on what I've read about the GE move it would have still happened even if our tax brackets were below MA.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:01 PM

789 posts, read 547,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I would phrase it some of think taxes were of lesser importance. Based on what I've read about the GE move it would have still happened even if our tax brackets were below MA.
No it wouldn't have. Corporate planning fiduciary duty weighs heavily in these decisions.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:55 AM

747 posts, read 836,400 times
well, immelt's house dropped a half mil in price. pick it up for a song!

705 West Rd, New Canaan, CT 06840 | MLS #139721 | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or