U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:34 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,860,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Downtown Norwich

Nice pics. My mother used to work in that building at the center of the top photo when it was B.D.'s.
Let's not get too excited about the Wauregan renovation since it was done almost entirely with government funds and is low income housing. You don't bring a city back with Section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 02:14 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,178,739 times
This is very good news for Southeastern Connecticut. Electric Boat to hire thousands of new workers over the next 10 years, including 850 this year.

Electric Boat To Hire Thousands As Military Strategy Shifts Back To Subs - Hartford Courant

Old 04-18-2016, 02:39 PM

854 posts, read 896,722 times
More military subs? This is good news?

When will this country's leaders realize there are just some world problems we can't solve?

Old 04-18-2016, 02:53 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,178,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
More military subs? This is good news?

When will this country's leaders realize there are just some world problems we can't solve?
Team America - World Police!!

But, the real answer is until we can create a lot more non-military jobs.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:49 PM

10,334 posts, read 7,248,362 times
Development coming to Downtown New London sound good the city need some magic going.

The Day - Developers offering more high-end, luxury apartments in downtown New London - News from southeastern Connecticut

Old 09-04-2016, 08:52 PM

More jobs for city of Norwich I not sure about the hotel.

Stalled Norwich hotel project seeks extension - News - The Bulletin - Norwich, CT

Checkers restaurant planned for Norwich - News - The Bulletin - Norwich, CT

Griswold targets Route 164 for economic development - News - The Bulletin - Norwich, CT

Old 09-06-2016, 10:45 AM

1,727 posts, read 683,393 times
The boat launch is a good idea. The state would cover part of it and it would start clean up of a run down area. About 10 years ago I walked those sites down off terminal way with some family friends who were talking about investing in property there. I saw potential there and still do but there was questions of getting what they wanted permitted there and clean up cost questions. If a couple of the the lots were cleaned I imagine some one would move on the others, waterfront is a a rare commodity.

I have said for a decade now that Norwich and New London are the two urban areas of CT that could be turned around. The waterfront, small size, and closeness to major transportation are all great factors. Also they have pretty good existing architecture. In the original post there was talk about simply making the city look nicer (flowers) I think I have to agree in development looks and location are everything.

New London also has rail links to major cities and ferry service. It also still has working waterfront. All that should allow it to revive it self like Portland Maine or other small New England cities. In all honesty New London has made progress with the condos in downtown and the real estate market south of the hospital is pretty good. But they need more projects completed downtown and north of downtown. Also of course there is Fort Trumball.

On Portland Maine I have never heard how they turned around that city. I often here it described as a mini East Coast Seattle. And I have to agree it's a great place but I have been going to Maine with my family for 30 some odd years, and I remember it being sketchy there back in the 80's but in the 90's they seemed to have turned it into a little urban granola paradise. Not sure how thou.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Good news for New London it good start

The Day - New London council approves developer for Parcel J - News from southeastern Connecticut

Old 09-20-2016, 12:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 683,393 times
That would be good. I've said it before if I had the cash New London and SE CT in general I think are worth investing in. Their problems seem smaller then the rest of the state. On a similar note in that area we all know about the Fort area being under developed and why but I was wondering why some one hasn't done something with the Miner and Alexander lumber company on the cove there. It's listed as a state brownfield site last I checked, I would think someone would want to develop that waterfront.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 PM

Electric boat has been growing in New London area as past year. Do you think New London can attract new residents

The Day - New London developer planning new condo complex on Howard Street - News from southeastern Connecticut

The Day - Electric Boat job growth boosts New London's prospects - News from southeastern Connecticut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or