Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NY/CT vs Research Triangle
NY/CT 3 37.50%
NC Research Triangle 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:39 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
Look, I have learned that I could settle in another city than the school. At this point, I am just going to wait for acceptance or rejection letters and make the decision. There are many other high tech cities. Some are but not limited to: Seattle, NC Research Triangle, NY Tech Valley, and Portland Oregon. So really my top choices are to go to either Syracuse or Binghamton, or the unlikely chance I get accepted to UNC.

Also, can I ask the people who didn't respond why I should stay in NY or leave for NC after and during college?
This thread is now going off topic to the Connecticut forum. I am going to close it down. JayCT, Moderator

Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM

21,739 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa123 View Post
TBH, I consider some of the Boston Schools to be the most overrated schools. No doubt they are good schools, but expensive. And there is no correlation in income after graduating from either a public or private school.. For example, MIT, which is a very good school. Virginia Tech is still a pretty good school with a lower tuition. Even a school that I wasted money to apply to, U of R may be in that same category as overrated. Now some private schools are good: an example of a cheaper private school is Syracuse.

In the future, I would like a job in software development. And I am really fed up with NY. I like NC because NC, specifically the research triangle has everything within a few mile radius. Never been to NC, but my aunt/uncle who moved there loves it. Not only NC, but also the Texas cities seem to have a big tech growth.

TBH, I believe NY is overrated. There are many people who love this region and work hard to afford it. But we are in 2016, and lots of people in NY want to preserve buildings from 300 years ago and don't support any massive upgrades to bring this state into the future. Look like a progressive state like Florida which is build build build. Florida recently passed this state because they want to build. Many people are fleeing this state for Florida, including a few of my former teachers. Three of them left: one went to Texas, one to FL, and one to GA. Ted Cruz is right, NY has no values. SC and NC have real values. NY needs to look into the future and start to build like FL, GA, NC, etc and stop with all these stupid laws that make it impossible to build something new.
You mean sprawl? It's new because those southern cities are sprawling out to areas that were never inhabited. NY is a mature, well established state. Apples and oranges. Also you'll appreciate maintaining zoning and history when you get sick of chain malls and Applebee's as far as the eye can see.

You must live in an isolated part of NY to not have density and conveniences nearby.

NYC is constantly being "massively upgraded" with new construction, so not sure what you mean there. It's the most prosperous city in the country, and there's few places with more software development opportunity besides the Bay Area. NC has lots of corporate IT-type jobs but not as much development work.

By the way, you don't just go to MIT because it's a great school. A big benefit is the network you create.

Honestly it sounds like you don't want real opinions as much as validating your choice of going to NC. If you're really that into it, I say go for it.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut