Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM

519 posts, read 582,587 times

Advertisements

Perhaps hope yet remains. If bluer than blue Dan Malloy can finally see the fiscal problems of CT, who knows? Though I won't pass judgement until we see what the Democrat dominated legislature does...

Attrition, layoffs for thousands of state employees in Malloy budget - Connecticut Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 PM

720 posts, read 919,637 times
Oh yeah right, do you actually believe him? Why doesn't he just quit already.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
I'm a state employee and my bags are packed.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:10 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
They shouldn't cut any jobs in DMHAS, Disability Services, DPH, State Police, Judicial, Corrections, Law Enforcement, or VA.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:20 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
They shouldn't cut any jobs in DMHAS, Disability Services, DPH, State Police, Judicial, Corrections, Law Enforcement, or VA.
I think Corrections is one department that's definitely getting reduced - declining prison population, and Malloy's new initiative to help first time offenders.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:40 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Right. Everyone wants cuts... Just in no place important.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
From UCONN:

"To the UConn Community,

The start of a new semester brings the promise of exciting events and opportunities on our campuses both inside and outside the classroom.

This evening, I wanted to draw your attention to a few very positive upcoming events at UConn.

Unfortunately, I first need to update you regarding news that is anything but positive. The governor’s proposed state budget, which was released today, calls for cuts to UConn – including UConn Health – that would amount to a combined total of $31.2 million for the next fiscal year.

Though this is only an initial proposal and UConn’s state appropriation, as always, will be decided through the legislative process over the coming months, it is nonetheless deeply disturbing. A cut of that magnitude would be terrible for the university and its operations.

The problem is not confined to this one year alone. The larger issue is that this cut, if adopted, would contribute to a combined total loss of $139 million for UConn – including UConn Health – over the last seven years, all due to state cuts, rescissions and fund sweeps.

This cycle is not sustainable if we wish to maintain our quality.

The state’s financial situation is extremely challenging and we don’t envy the difficult decisions that the governor and the legislature must make. At the same time, please know that we will advocate relentlessly for UConn during this process, as we always do. We will find every opportunity to remind the state’s leadership of the pivotal role UConn plays in the life of our state – especially economically – and all that a healthy, vibrant UConn does for Connecticut. UConn has come so far in recent decades thanks to state investments; to go backwards would be an incredible waste.

We will need the entire UConn community – students, faculty, staff, alumni, grateful patients, and donors – to lend their voices and energy to this effort. We will keep you updated on this process and on how you can help protect and strengthen UConn in the weeks ahead. "

Old 02-03-2016, 05:50 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Right. Everyone wants cuts... Just in no place important.
Outside of corrections and DPH these services in the State have taken the most beating. Over the few years been the brunt of budget cuts have a great effect on the services they provide.

Let's not forget the $555 Million cut from hospitals over the years that reduces quality of care, affects staffing, job cuts/less job recruitment, and rise of patient care cost.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Outside of corrections and DPH these services in the State have taken the most beating. Over the few years been the brunt of budget cuts have a great effect on the services they provide.
Is that actually true? I though the agency reductions so far have been pretty minimal and certainly haven't targeted any one agency. I could be wrong..,

Old 02-04-2016, 07:00 AM

216 posts, read 564,520 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's the "elephant in the room" the Gov. never sees. Instead of across the bard cuts, the Gov. really needs to trim the fat. My wife was a state worker, for 5 years, and unlike ANY other job, even the on she holds now with the Fed, the State employee motto is it's not about how well you do your job, it's how long you've been there. Even if there are layoffs and cuts, it will begin at the bottom. The new state worker, who starts at a minimum salary, works no OT, works the hardest, and pays the highest premiums, will get the axe. The ones with 15, 20+ years wont be touched. When she was there, the union made concessions for workers with less than 5 years, while the ones with 10+ years continued to get FREE healthcare for themselves and there families.......and it will happen again.

If the State really opened there eyes to what's happening today, and change the work and retirement ethic, they could save millions. For instance a former co-worker of my wife, has a base salary of $70k....not bad. Last year, with her combined OT, she made $189k. She isn't the only one to do this, I know of several. The one that gets me the most is a former co-worker of my wife who was a nurses aid type worker. High school educated, not a highly skilled job. Her base was round $58k. She worked double shifts everyday her last 3 years before retirement, spending most of 3rd shift napping. Not only did she pocket of $200k a year, but she now is retired and collecting $148k a year. It's sickening.

If the Gov. wants to save money from the state workforce, cuts need to be made from the top down, restructure all pensions, and get rid of overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut