Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:14 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
And, you know, the news article from the original post. But, you know, nice try. Have a cookie.
By "here" I meant in this thread so, you know, there's that...

Old 02-22-2016, 04:14 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Sounds to me like you're coming up with your own stereotypes..
How so? I just answered your premature post. Would you read the article????

Old 02-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
By "here" I meant in this thread so, you know, there's that...

Hahahaha. Good try. If scratchie doesn't understand, here's the gist:

One of my sons is black. He goes to a school people here consider ghetto. I defend the school and the city because the school is nowhere near as awful as they think; it's actually been a strong education (and I do have other kids in the burbs to compare). Some feel the need to not only not believe me, but to insist he is in a pit and wherever they live is so much better. This poster went a step further and assumes everything is about race with me. Another stereotype and opportunity to disregard my opinion - and even facts in this case...

I'll likely get in trouble for posting this because while dismissing cities and city schools is perfectly acceptable here, calling people out on it isn't and pointing out the suburbs aren't so fab is a sin.

Ironically, my kid has been accepted to Fairfield U with a decent offer. It's not his first choice; I'm not sure how he'll feel when he reads that.

Last edited by AMSS; 02-22-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 04:31 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
More PC crap. Who does this really hurt?

Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Hahahaha. Good try. If scratchie doesn't understand, here's the gist:

One of my sons is black. He goes to a school people here consider ghetto. I defend the school and the city because the school is nowhere near as awful as they think; it's actually been a strong education (and I do have other kids in the burbs to compare). Some feel the need to not only not believe me, but to insist he is in a pit and wherever they live is so much better. This poster went a step further and assumes everything is about race with me. Another stereotype and opportunity to disregard my opinion - and even facts in this case...

I'll likely get in trouble for posting this because while dismissing cities and city schools is perfectly acceptable here, calling people out on it isn't and pointing out the suburbs aren't so fab is a sin.

Ironically, my kid has been accepted to Fairfield U with a decent offer. It's not his first choice; I'm not sure how he'll feel when he reads that.
Uhh... who said anything about Waterbury schools vs suburban schools? You're obsessed and seem to have some sort of a complex... give it a rest.

This is just PC crap, like stylo said, and a bunch of whiny, jaded crybabies making an issue out of something that is NOT an issue...

Old 02-22-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Uhh... who said anything about Waterbury schools vs suburban schools? You're obsessed and seem to have some sort of a complex... give it a rest.

This is just PC crap, like stylo said, and a bunch of whiny, jaded crybabies making an issue out of something that is NOT an issue...
On this thread, no one said anything - but my only complex is pointing out something is better than one thinks while others feel the need to stomp on it. You're the one who insisted I made this issue racial.

As for your last line? So the concern about a ghetto party where white kids wore black makeup is PC crap? Wow, just wow.

Last edited by AMSS; 02-22-2016 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
More PC crap. Who does this really hurt?
It obviously hurts people of color and people who are considered "ghetto". It hurts Fairfield U too in my opinion because while I know a few great people who went there (my dad and cousin did), it still has a reputation of being a playground for privileged brats.

Why is it ok to look down on others to the point that you say "come dressed up as these people"? And why is it so difficult to put yourself in other people's shoes? I wasn't specifically referring to you, but in general.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
On this thread, no one said anything - but my only complex is pointing out something is better than one thinks while others feel the need to stomp on it.

As for your last line? So the concern about a ghetto party where white kids wore black makeup is PC crap? Wow, just wow.
Yeah... wow. You're clearly among the group of people who is offended by every little thing....

Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah... wow. You're clearly among the group of people who is offended by every little thing....
Not really. But yes, I'm offended by racism and classism along with being offended by people who don't have a problem with these things and deny they happen.

You think that behavior at this party is acceptable. That's sad.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Obviously the theme was a bad idea but if we're being honest themes like this, or the aforementioned tennis hoes and CEOs, white trash bash, Amy hos and gi Joes the list goes on, have been around for a damn long time. Well before social media.

I'm not excusing what they did but I certainly don't agree with the University stepping in. It happened off campus, just because people at the party go to the same college doesn't make it the colleges business.

Sometimes I honestly feel bad for millenials, I know growing up my friends and I made some really ****ty decisions and were definitely not always politically correct. But we also didn't have to worry about the whole world seeing what we did. Millenials live under a microscope thay allows little room for mistakes these days. Everything is magnified by social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: