Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 04:49 PM

503 posts, read 530,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here is the same spot September 22, 2015
Much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 05:18 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
April 20, 2016:

Shade or 80s, which will be first this year. The race is on. 75° is the max so far.

Cool morning this morning. Outside dropped to 41°F(5C) Room temp down to 60°F(15C) so its fire time. Even though we are getting to 71°F(22C) today, I had to light it. Mostly for my seedlings needing it now, not this afternoon. I don't have a heat matt.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:32 AM

A look at some trees with a close-up..

April 21, 2016

My Pin Oak.. beautiful trees especially in the Fall. Slowest to leaf out. Still bare but closeup shows the small buds are there. Cherry in background.

Red Maple and Tulip Tree. Tulip is the taller one. Looks kinda bare but see the mini leaves? Red Maple still nothing.

Birch Tree blooming. Look very very close and you'll see mini leaves coming out.

Damaged Magnolia.. Interesting to see how the leaves are coming out.. I thought comes directly from the blooms.

Sugar Maple. Blooming but not even mini leaves out, just starting.

Hickory. Not sure which type. Can barely tell if there's buds on it but looks like it's starting.

Thornless Honey Locust. Not even any buds? Not dead, they have nice yellow color in the Fall. Here they are Sept 20, 2014.

Not sure. Apple Tree? Pretty blooms. I don't remember Apples on this tree.

Not Sure. Another pretty blooming Tree. Look at the background. lol. Pretty Bare still..

Note Sure. Another pretty blooming Tree..or Shrub.

Tall tree is a Tulip but the Short one not sure. Has white blooms and mini leaves coming out.

Hickory, Locust, and Oaks are still bare. Mostly everything else is budding or blooming.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:37 AM

April 24, 2016

New Rochelle, NY. An Amazing difference from just over the CT border!

A neighbors house down there. I think was a type of Birch tree? Pretty. Looking So spring like

The shade was more apparent with bigger leaves

Time to head back home. On the Merritt on the NY side in Rye Brook..

About to cross the border... See the sign? Welcome to Connecticut.

Yup, feels like home again. Welcome to CT. LMAO. This was yesterday, not a month ago.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 AM

I think I found our answer why even SWCT over the NY border looks more winterish than lower Westchester county..

Pretty much half our state has Oak and Hickory. (which are still pretty bare mid-late April). The State Tree is the White Oak btw..

Now take a small area where maybe 80% of the trees are Oak and Hickory and it will look bare and winterish vs an area with more Norway Maples around.. So its the species of trees, not the weather making the difference. More Red Maples, Hickory, and Oaks in SWCT vs Southern Westchester

Notice the blooming & colorful trees in my pictures are pretty much from people planting them, not Native.

The most common tree in the forests is the Red Maple. Sugar Maple is up there too. Probably why there are such beautiful colors around in the Fall. Between the Oaks, Red and Sugar Maples.

But this was interesting to read. https://ctpa.org/connecticuts-native-trees/

Old 04-25-2016, 11:45 AM

Now, I'm hoping you guys can post a simple picture of how it's looking around you! I think it would be interesting to see the progress in other areas of CT!

Post away. Lets see them

Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 AM

Couple of pictures from this morning.

April 26, 2016

Greenwich, CT. Route 1 Boston Post Road. Black Cherry trees blooming.

Greenwich Library. Tree's still bare"ish" but a close up shows the buds opening now. Not sure what type of tree it is. Maybe Red Maples?

Still on Route 1. Boston Post Road.

Stamford, CT. Almost a Spring look? Probably another 2-3 weeks still given the cooler, cloudier pattern we have this week.

Fog in the hills

Old 04-27-2016, 01:58 PM

April 27, 2016:

Merritt parkway in Westport, CT or maybe Norwalk. Shade soon?

Beacon Falls, CT. Naugatuck River Comparison Photo.

Obviously ahead this yr vs last yr & notice with a lower river. Last years snow and ice melt kept the rivers up through Spring.

Close up of the buds. Interesting type.

Choo Choo. No train coming but another close up of the buds/blooms

Naugatuck State Forest.

I see something interesting...

"Get out the Map"

Spoiler

"From the Forest to the Sea"

Spoiler

"Those were the Days"

Spoiler

What the heck? Looks like Tiki Torches

Undergrowth coming in,
topgrowth..... well... soon.

Time to head back...

You said, this doesn't look like a forest?

How about now? lol Lots of Hemlock and Pines. Got dark on a sunny day. I actually prefer this vs above.

BANG!

Just 3 minutes from the park..

Microclimate or Different Species of trees? I'm going with both.

In Town. Something some of you guys might enjoy with the buildings..

Very cool area.

Naugatuck Congregational Church

Lots of history in Naugatuck, CT. It was settled in 1701 and was a farming community and then became a mill town. (Wiki)

How much longer till the leaves come out? At least it was a cool 48°F

Jesus! lol

Old 04-27-2016, 02:12 PM

503 posts, read 530,512 times
Cambium: you wanted to see what was happening with spring in the rest of the state, so I took a couple photos for you in one of Manchester's parks today. This is the first time I've ever really paid attention to when the leaves come out. Considering it is nearly May I am disappointed with the lack of progress:

Last edited by FunkOdyssey; 04-27-2016 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Cambium: you wanted to see what was happening with spring in the rest of the state, so I took a couple photos for you in one of Manchester's parks today. This is the first time I've ever really paid attention to when the leaves come out. Considering it is nearly May I am disappointed with the lack of progress:

Thanks! Wow, yeah, kinda shocking after looking like it was going to be an early year. That Arctic blast and the Cold April start really affected things and slowed us to a crawl back to about normal now. Only ahead of least year by like 1-2 weeks now.

Now imagine if we get more folks to contribute to this thread. It's nice to see other parts of CT. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut