Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:05 AM

3,083 posts, read 2,148,017 times

Advertisements

Ultimately it's your decision, but you have posted repeatedly that there are virtually no open positions in your field in metropolitan Hartford - and now you have an offer in the area, but none elsewhere. Middletown is close to your family but not too close, and not as expensive as where you lived in CT previously. Even if you don't initially get the compensation you expect, having a broader role and increased responsibility is good experience that can make you more marketable for subsequent jobs. The pay and benefits could improve in the future, especially if the company is pleased with your performance and is itself faring well.

I like Nashville personally but don't think it lines up very well with what you would be looking for in a place to live. It has a lot of similarities to Charlotte which you've already experienced, but is further from the Northeast, and a little smaller and more conservative.

Good luck and try to keep an open mind about the many pieces of advice offered on this thread. Whether we like it or not, compromise is part of working life - whether that's on location, benefits, compensation, job environment, title, hours, career development, prestige, and other factors. If this Middletown offer is too much of a compromise for you to accept, decline it and move on - but there is no need to feel insulted when it doesn't meet your standards.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:09 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
It's just the worst job offer I've ever received in my entire career. Totally de-motivating. Obviously, if I turn down the offer with only 7 weeks of unemployment left, it's a big risk. But it might be a risk worth taking.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM

684 posts, read 806,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's just the worst job offer I've ever received in my entire career. Totally de-motivating. Obviously, if I turn down the offer with only 7 weeks of unemployment left, it's a big risk. But it might be a risk worth taking.
People like you really do make me laugh, you don't appreciate things in life and what you have but maybe you will one day but that day might be too late.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:19 AM

33,748 posts, read 16,742,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Shocking...

Nep's going to sabotage himself. Again.

Is that a skill set in his case?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Also, the fact that my resume history is unstable doesn't matter too much when it comes to the offered salary. Despite big gaps of unemployment, I have ALWAYS gotten pay raises when getting a new job.

You took a huge cut Columbus vs Stamford, OP.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:22 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,154,884 times
Quote:
This is a TAX manager role in a corporation. The norm is $70-120K.
Look nep you have to realize that you don't have managerial experience and you getting an offer of such without such experience should be looked at as a real positive thing even though the salary (understandably) falls short.

If you were an experienced TAX Manager I could then see your point of the salary offered being too low.

Food for thought: Just think about this that you "take your lumps now" to later get that norm salary once you get that managerial experience under your belt. You once wanted a "career change" well this opportunity will broaden your accounting experience while again later an upside of greater justified "norm" salary.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You took a huge cut Columbus vs Stamford, OP.
That was a justified pay cut though. Going from Stamford CT to Columbus OH is definitely going to be a significant pay cut. So I was okay with that. But now, this Middletown company thinks it's perfectly fine to pay me below market value.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
It's funny how people in this forum advised me against relocating to Columbus because the offer that I received here last year "stinks." Yet now, this offer is even WORSE, and people are advising me to take it. What the hell....

I was ok with Ohio, but you were in a better spot last year at that time, as you were EMPLOYED. In 7 weeks, you will be whining about using 3k of savings per month.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Only roughly half the people make above average pay...

That's the half without gaps in their resumes and wasn't fired from their last job.

Nep, you're not in that half any more. You've been canned. You have a series of recent gaps in employment. You've shown recently you're not on the track that gets preferred salary and benefits.

Bingo.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
That was a justified pay cut though. Going from Stamford CT to Columbus OH is definitely going to be a significant pay cut. So I was okay with that. But now, this Middletown company thinks it's perfectly fine to pay me below market value.

No they are paying like most would to someone w/o managerial experience who will be managing no one.

The title is overstated, no doubt, but that does not increase the function or market value one iota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut