Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 10:18 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If you don't take this, I hope it is not through a major recruiter, as that will burn an invaluable bridge.
It is through a mid tier recruiting firm. I don't care about burning certain bridges.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:23 AM
V&L

112 posts, read 149,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Every American should be entitled to 4 weeks of PTO, 2 weeks of paid sick time, 10+ paid holidays and a 40 hour work week, and universal healthcare, paid family leave and free college tuition. The days of the industrial revolution are over.

All of those European countries have done a FAR better job at taking care of the elderly, sick and poor than the U.S. has. It's pathetic.
I know nothing about business but quite a lot about psychology. I read through this whole post and I think you have some entitlement issues. What should or should not happen in America does not matter, what IS that matters, and the same goes for your feelings about earning the same in a lesser position 4 years ago than now. Why should a company care about that? It is, as someone pointed this out earlier, a matter of supply and demand. If you have a better offer than this, great, if not and otherwise you would enjoy the work, take the offer.

As to what is happening in Europe... I was born and raised in Europe and yes, there are some things that work better there (such as women getting 2 years of maternity leave, causing far fewer attachment-issues related psychological problems in adulthood), however the state of Europe is entirely irrelevant in you needing to make a decision whether to take that job offer or not (unless one of your options is to get a job in Europe).

I understand you feel angry and undervalued. Please try to keep things in perspective and consider that a company's job offer to you is not based primarily on your merits and what you would deserve, but rather what they can and are willing to offer, based on their needs, abilities, and supply and demand.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:29 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Well let's just say I'm not the healthiest, most agile person (unfortunately). This company has good work/life balance though, which is good.

Also, it's not a traditional manager role. It's a "lower level" manager type role. There would be no one reporting to me, and no one above me. I would be the ONLY tax person in the entire company. It's all on me.

That makes days off not relevant, as, no doubt, using all of them would lead to losing the job as time sensitive tax work would be left incomplete.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:29 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, I am working with a recruiter who has submitted me for a position with a major financial services company in Nashville, TN. The interviews would be entirely conducted via Skype video call and I could get an offer as soon as Thursday. They also offer a $5,000 after-tax relocation package, of which I can keep the portion not spent on relocating. Salary would be $65K for a staff level position. Worklife balance is great, and is 40-45 hrs a week. And they give 4 weeks of vacation. Now to me, THAT'S what I call a great offer.
Have you ever been to Nashville? Good grief, it's not pretty and it's a mismanaged municipal government and it's high crime. I'd rather work as a stock clerk in Vermont than an executive in Nashville.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Here's and idea, take some medicine and suck up a cold for a few days. People go to work with the flu. I'm sure you can make it to your desk job with the sniffles.

You have major entitlement issues as V&L stated. You should jump at anything that comes your way.

You like Europe so much move there.

Not sure about everyone else but what I got my new job vacation and sick time was the last thing I cared about. I have two weeks vacation and in 10 years never used it all (minus this year because I got married and took a honeymoon. But even that was only 4 days)

Please don't take it because I want the next person in line behind you to get it. My guess is that they would appreciate it and be thankful and over joyed to have such a great chance.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:33 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Get my 2 cents in before Jayct presses the nuke button on this one.
68K is crap for a manager role. 2 weeks vacation is a joke.
The other manager leaving is a red flag, correct. Run away and don't look back.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:35 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Shocking...

Nep's going to sabotage himself. Again.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Get my 2 cents in before Jayct presses the nuke button on this one.
68K is crap for a manager role. 2 weeks vacation is a joke.
The other manager leaving is a red flag, correct. Run away and don't look back.
I don't know-- his resume is full of gaps and inconsistency. He wasn't able to even get close to an offer in Ohio, but there is one on the table in Middletown. My advise would be to run and don't walk and accept the offer, otherwise he is likely looking at a prolonged unemployment stint.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:44 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
So the economy is collapsing because of PTO benefits? Lmaooooo. Give me a break.
Work on your reading comprehension Nep.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I don't know-- his resume is full of gaps and inconsistency. He wasn't able to even get close to an offer in Ohio, but there is one on the table in Middletown. My advise would be to run and don't walk and accept the offer, otherwise he is likely looking at a prolonged unemployment stint.
I completely agree.

We actually ask in interviews "How long do you plan on staying..." If someone isn't in it for the long term, I want to know. It certainly counts against their favorability as a hire. It takes 90-120 days to get someone completely up to speed in our company and a year before they are fully contributing as a team member.

I want to see commitment on a resume-- Not an erratic job history.

Nep should take the job, stay at least five years, and then if not happy look for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut