Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 04:22 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,590,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have bad news.

Today, I got a precise estimate of the cost of relocation, of which I would have to pay for all of it.

The grand total will be around $4,000. To break the lease here will cost $2,000. The UHAUL ordeal will cost $1,800. And it will costs maybe another $100 to drive over there, and another $200 or so for storage costs.

After more consideration, especially how I had to spend $3,000 last summer to relocate here to Columbus, I just cannot justify spending a total of $7,000 in relo costs all out of my own pocket. I mean, what if I get fired again in Middletown? I'm scarred from the experience from last summer.

Therefore, I have contacted the recruiter and asked if the company can cover my relocation costs of $4,000 (or hopefully half of it), or else I will rescind the offer. The recruiter suggested this yesterday, but I told her to avoid asking the employer, because it will look like I'm asking for too much. And they have another candidate (who happens to be local) that they'd like to make an offer to if it doesn't work out with me. So we'll see what happens now.
After reading this thread and all your other ones, If they don't pay relocation tell your new employer to go f**k themselves.

Last edited by SageCats; 03-10-2016 at 04:39 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 04:25 PM

468 posts, read 520,416 times
Find a renter for your current place so you don't have to pay to break the lease.
Do not squander this opportunity.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,355,281 times
Quote:
I have bad news.

Today, I got a precise estimate of the cost of relocation, of which I would have to pay for all of it.

The grand total will be around $4,000. To break the lease here will cost $2,000. The UHAUL ordeal will cost $1,800. And it will costs maybe another $100 to drive over there, and another $200 or so for storage costs.

After more consideration, especially how I had to spend $3,000 last summer to relocate here to Columbus, I just cannot justify spending a total of $7,000 in relo costs all out of my own pocket. I mean, what if I get fired again in Middletown? I'm scarred from the experience from last summer.

Therefore, I have contacted the recruiter and asked if the company can cover my relocation costs of $4,000 (or hopefully half of it), or else I will rescind the offer. The recruiter suggested this yesterday, but I told her to avoid asking the employer, because it will look like I'm asking for too much. And they have another candidate (who happens to be local) that they'd like to make an offer to if it doesn't work out with me. So we'll see what happens now.
Weren't you just talking about how you would spend $3,000 a month to live in Columbus once your unemployment runs out? And only you can control your future...are you seriously planning on getting fired again?

Here we go again...

Old 03-10-2016, 04:51 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,467,301 times
Looks like the under will take it.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM

33,817 posts, read 16,831,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you were my kid, I would smack you. You haven't even started the job and you are already making excuses. This is a recipe for failure for someone at your level and employment history. Stop making demands and limitations. You have no leverage in this. You HAVE to do better and if that means sacrificing a few of your precious personal hours doing God knows what, then that is what you should do. Grow up already! You are 31, not 3. Jay

Amen. Insanity is the act of doing the same thing again and again, while expecting different results. In order to have an acceptably long-term job at a professional level, you will need to make this employer delightful they hired you..every day.year after year.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I have bad news.

Crazy decision, and honestly if I were them, I'd immediately rescind the offer.

I do hope your recruiter has the other candidate, too, so the agency and recruiter are whole, despite your foolishness.

You have NOTHING brewing. 7 weeks in an unemployment cycle to get a new job is an insignificant amount of time. Even for you, this was an all time idiotic decision to make. Get ready to burn through 3k per month. You are in a region with hyper low 3.6% unemployment, and you failed to get hired at 3 corps who interviewed you. This position was your lifeboat, and you just created a giant wave.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 03-10-2016 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 05:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,863,956 times
It was the recruiter's suggestion to ask for relo coverage. So I figured why not ask for it? $4,000 is ridiculous for me to pay all on my own, especially after paying $3,000 to move to Columbus last summer, all out of my pocket. It's just too much. The job position had a stated pay range of "up to $90K." Since they only offered me $70K, I'm sure they can tack on $4K or even $2K for relo.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:27 PM

503 posts, read 527,094 times
Quote:
It was the recruiter's suggestion to ask for relo coverage. So I figured why not ask for it? $4,000 is ridiculous for me to pay all on my own, especially after paying $3,000 to move to Columbus last summer, all out of my pocket. It's just too much. The job position had a stated pay range of "up to $90K." Since they only offered me $70K, I'm sure they can tack on $4K or even $2K for relo.
The entitlement is real. Your waste of $3,000 to move to Columbus, just to require another $4,000 to move back to CT, is no one's problem but your own. You already pushed this prospective employer for more salary and vacation time. You got it, but you also received word that they have an alternative local candidate lined up. That's the signal for anyone sensible to chill with the demands. Instead, you push for more?

You should expect, and definitely deserve, for them to rescind the offer and go with the local candidate. You have a warped perspective on things and it's causing you to make terrible decisions. Therapy would probably help.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Why should they? They told you there is a local candidate (who you just made cheaper and lower maintenance, great attributes for a candidate).. In all likelihood, your recruiter has that candidate, too, so is indifferent as to who gets hired.

The 3k last year is gone. This is NOT a 7k decision-its 4k, or your burn cash rate for your first month and a week after ui runs out.

PS: Relos when given almost always have clawback provisions that are enforceable if employee either quits or gets canned, and that period usually extends a few years.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post

you also received word that they have an alternative local candidate lined up. That's the signal for anyone sensible to chill with the demands. Instead, you push for more?

Bingo, and you can bet today they contacted that OTHER already local candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut