Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:12 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Huntington is one of my favorite Long Island towns (lived on island for first 23 years of my life). I don't think I've ever spent any time in Madison CT, but West Hartford is a town that reminds me of Huntington. Lovely downtown with no hooligans, excellent education and easy access to much of the state. It's "pricey" but coming from Long Island you will probably feel like your robbing the seller .
That would be a crazy commute for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 04:26 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
The OP is going to be working in Waterford. Driving to West Hartford would be nonsensical.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:47 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The OP is going to be working in Waterford. Driving to West Hartford would be nonsensical.
Not that much farther than Glastonbury - especially if the OP lives near Route 9. When I worked in Glastonbury, it would regularly take me 45 minutes to get into work on Winding Brook in Glastonbury from East Lyme (next town to Waterford). From East Lyme, it normally takes me 45-50 minutes to get to West Farms Mall.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:16 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That would be a crazy commute for them.
10-4. Didn't catch where their job was....

Old 03-14-2016, 06:02 AM

8 posts, read 5,350 times
Thanks again for all your advice. My husband will be working out of Waterford, I am not sure where I will be working but I am an Optometrist currently looking for a position.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary320 View Post
Thanks again for all your advice. My husband will be working out of Waterford, I am not sure where I will be working but I am an Optometrist currently looking for a position.
Just remember, if he is in Waterford and commuting from Glastonbury, Madison or Guilford, it's going to be a minimum of 30-40 minutes each way from Madison, and then 40-50 minutes from Guilford or Glastonbury. We considered both Madison and Glastonbury when we moved to East Lyme and even close to the highway in Glastonbury was 45 minutes to my wife's New London office that was not far off the highway. (right next to Waterford) And, i wanted to live in Glastonbury and test drove the distance several times and it was 45 minutes at speeds that were often well above the speed limit.

You can also count on an accident closing I-95 for an hour to 4 hours between Old Saybrook and Old Lyme at least once a month, which will disrupt the commute from Madison or Guilford.

Which is why I'd think Old Lyme or East Lyme would be better choices for you - much shorter commutes will give your husband at least an extra hour each day.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I understand the OP's concerns. They are moving from a dense suburb of New York where just about everything they could ever want or need is at their doorstep. That said, I agree they should live closer to their job. Why commute a longer distance every day so you are near conveniences you use only a couple of times a week.

East Lyme is an excellent choice for them. It is right next to Waterford so the commute is short, there is plenty of shopping and entertainment options nearby (though no where near what Long Island has to offer) and their budget will buy them a very nice home. As for schools East Lyme schools perform well above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Their scores are comparable to those found in towns like Madison and Glastonbury. Keep in mind that these tests are given to all public school students in the state so comparing them gives you an idea of where the schools fall overall. Each town though has socio-economic influences that affect those scores, so as long as a school performs above the state average, they should be considered to be good. The link below will give you information on schools in our state. I do not like to look at SAT scores however since they are compensatory and do not necessarily reflect the true quality of education provided. Good luck, Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 03-15-2016, 09:53 AM

8 posts, read 5,350 times
Thanks again for your advice. I had my mind set on Glastonbur( my daughter fell in love with the brand new high school) but we are certainly going to reconsider East Lyme , the travel time is more than I thought it was.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:07 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Thanks again for your advice. I had my mind set on Glastonbur( my daughter fell in love with the brand new high school) but we are certainly going to reconsider East Lyme , the travel time is more than I thought it was.
Glastonbury does not have a new high school. It was remodeled a few years back but parts of the school date back to the early 50's. Jay

Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
The property tax rates are also much lower in East Lyme (around 24/25 mills) and Old Lyme (around 20 mills) than they are in Glastonbury (36 or 37 mills?) if that makes a difference to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut