Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 06:36 AM

468 posts, read 523,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
Some state employees are necessary- others not really and others are overpaid.

Ideally all of the state employees would take a pay cut so there would be no layoffs - but there are politics involved that makes things difficult.

We have a deficit that needs to be closed and hard decisions need to be made- The employees laid off can join the rest of us in the private sector working to pay the bills.
I disagree with you about all state employees taking a pay cut. If there really are unnecessary state employees, those positions should be eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:49 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamz View Post
I disagree with you about all state employees taking a pay cut. If there really are unnecessary state employees, those positions should be eliminated.
They should do both, layoff employees and reign in the salaries, benefits and pensions of the employees that are left.

Reading this thread I didn't realize things were so bad in CT. It pains me to say this but If this situation isn't turned around by the time my husband and I are ready to retire we might have to look to another state. They are picking the pockets of the wealthy NOW but if this situation is not turned around they will be taxing the middle class heavily and I am sure that will include retires on modest middle class incomes who they will label "rich" if they own their home outright.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:58 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
They should do both, layoff employees and reign in the salaries, benefits and pensions of the employees that are left.

Reading this thread I didn't realize things were so bad in CT. It pains me to say this but If this situation isn't turned around by the time my husband and I are ready to retire we might have to look to another state. They are picking the pockets of the wealthy NOW but if this situation is not turned around they will be taxing the middle class heavily and I am sure that will include retires on modest middle class incomes who they will label "rich" if they own their home outright.
Off topic, but it's the opposite they raised taxes on the middle class in the state. Causing middle class to become less and less fall into a low income class. Cutting services to the elderly, health facilities easing patient care cost to compensate for cuts/increase taxes on them, cuts to Medicaid, and some places raising property tax due to cap on property tax for vehicles.

Now back to the layoffs definitely should cut salaries, change state employee's benefits plans, change retirement plans/more state employee's should contribute more to their retirement fund. Some employees making more then $100K should take one year pay cut of $80K then back up to their original salary.

Think it's less state doing. They want this done, but unions are like nope not happening so state then is like okay will lay you off.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:03 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
. They want this done, but unions are like nope not happening so state then is like okay will lay you off.
When they start seeing colleagues fired, after months when they see they are struggling, they may opt to change the Cadillac benefits next time. If not, any time there is a deficit, state employee layoffs will be politically easier.

I dislike DM, but credit him here, as 1st cuts are the hardest.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
I see the number's up to 4000 now.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:26 PM

468 posts, read 523,867 times
Quote:

No, they shouldn't "reign in the salaries, benefits and pensions of the employees that are left." There are contracts in place that specify those things, and contracts should be honored. That's why SEBAC has refused to negotiate AGAIN. The state can't keeping squeezing workers every time there's a revenue shortfall.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:53 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:

You wouldn't classify the middle class in Ct as "heavily taxed" ? I would say that train sailed long ago. The middle class is arguably taxed the hardest because we are the ones who can afford the tax the least. Someone with 25 mill in the bank can afford to get hit hard (not that I promote such behavior) and those who are poor get state and federal aid. The people in the middle are the ones who are unsupported and taxed out of the state in large #. The middle class is are the people who have to buy a used car instead of a new one because they're not sure they can make ends meet with what amounts to 3-5 additional car payments a year in criminal vehicle tax.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:03 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:

This is exactly why unions are necessary for Govt employees. How you would you like to have your salary and benefits renegotiated when your contract is already in place ?

Every time the Govt comes up short they want to balance the budget on employees backs. I also posted the retirement tiers for state employees so everyone can see how good the benefits supposedly are for new employees.

Retiree Resources

The only employees that will be getting laid off are the new ones who most likely HAVE NOT become vested in the retirement system.

The state will only see temporary relief from laying off 6,000 employees, and it won't be good to have that many people entering the job market competing with the people who are already looking for a job.

Those 6,000 laid off people will also be collecting unemployment. And if they are unemployed long enough they will also be collecting food stamps, medicaid, etc. especially if they have kids.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:05 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
You wouldn't classify the middle class in Ct as "heavily taxed" ? I would say that train sailed long ago. The middle class is arguably taxed the hardest because we are the ones who can afford the tax the least. Someone with 25 mill in the bank can afford to get hit hard (not that I promote such behavior) and those who are poor get state and federal aid. The people in the middle are the ones who are unsupported and taxed out of the state in large #. The middle class is are the people who have to buy a used car instead of a new one because they're not sure they can make ends meet with what amounts to 3-5 additional car payments a year in criminal vehicle tax.

The middle class absorb the tax(es) because they are too rich to receive any Govt benefits and too poor to hide their money and/or receive significant tax write offs.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:25 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I think you are confusing local real estate taxes with state income taxes. Car taxes go to the town you are living in and are used for the local town government. If your local (town or city) politicians are taxing you at a high local rate that is not the fault of the state politicians.

As for the state income taxes I thought it was hard for me to tell because I am in Fairfield County so even as a "middle class" person of Fairfield County I am going to assume I will be paying more. But I did find this link.

Connecticut Income Tax: Who Pays The Most, Who Pays The Least? - Hartford Courant

"The towns with the lowest per capita state income tax bills were Hartford (average of $903 per return), Bridgeport ($938), Waterbury ($1,110), New Britain ($1,154) and Thompson ($1,155)"

I am shocked that poor cities are even paying state income taxes let alone around $1000 on their already low incomes. I assumed about 50% of the people in CT didn't even pay income taxes. I am very wrong about that. If this state is taxing poorer residents with incomes of about $30,000 or lower* that much and giving it to employees making on average 50, 60 and & 70,000 + benefits and pensions something is very wrong.

*Most of the low income private sector jobs in the state have no benefits or pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut