Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
Much of and maybe all of Stamford's development is due to location- in Southern Fairfield County in commutable distance to NY.

This is the single biggest factor in the development of the city.
Danbury and Bridgeport are a little further and also commutable to NYC.

Danbury is a thriving and well run city. Bridgeport which is only 20 minutes on I-95 and easier to get to than Danbury is an abysmal mess. If it was only about proximity to NYC why isn't Bridgeport doing well?

Perhaps it is proximity PLUS how well a city/town is run?

My relatives have been in Stamford since the late 1800's and my great grandfather started a business in 1901 which is still thriving today. I have many relatives including my dad, two grandfathers and many aunts and uncles run Stamford businesses. Believe me I know Stamford and it is not just proximity to NYC. Stamford used to be a bedroom community to NYC. I saw and heard about generations back how my relatives and their friends built Stamford into a thriving city. It is not by accident and not just because of proximity to NYC. What you see in Stamford today is/was HARD DILIGENT work on the part of it's residents and politicians.

And Governor Malloy IMO made Stamford even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Danbury is a thriving and well run city. Bridgeport which is only 20 minutes on I-95 and easier to get to than Danbury is an abysmal mess. If it was only about proximity to NYC why isn't Bridgeport doing well?

My relatives have been in Stamford since the late 1800's and my great grandfather started a business in 1901 which is still thriving today. I have many relatives including my dad, two grandfathers and many aunts and uncles run Stamford businesses. Believe me I know Stamford and it is not just proximity to NYC. Stamford used to be a bedroom community to NYC. I saw and heard about generations back how my relatives and their friends built Stamford into a thriving city. It is not by accident and not just because of proximity to NYC. What you see in Stamford today is/was HARD DILIGENT work on the part of it's residents and politicians.

Good point on Bridgeport. Location helps, but it can't make up for incompetent or crooked government.

Waterbury, Hartford and Bridgeport all have extensive histories of rampant corruption and guess what - all are a mess.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:06 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:

Corrupted politician, high crime, poor schools, high poverty rate, not enough jobs is Bridgeport reason

Corrupted Politicians is #1 nothing move forward with on-going corruption.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:21 PM

503 posts, read 530,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
You think it worst now wait till July 1 when CT is in 1 billion dollar in red ink cities like Waterbury, Hartford, Bridgeport going be affected the most with state aid budget cuts.
I don't want to sound flippant but why should we care about this? All of the educated white collar people in CT have already given up on our cities. We put our blinders on, commute in and out of them as quickly as possible, and ignore whatever unpleasantness we accidentally see out of our peripheral vision. What does it matter what happens there when our lives in the suburbs are wonderful?

Old 03-18-2016, 01:41 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
I don't want to sound flippant but why should we care about this? All of the educated white collar people in CT have already given up on our cities. We put our blinders on, commute in and out of them as quickly as possible, and ignore whatever unpleasantness we accidentally see out of our peripheral vision. What does it matter what happens there when our lives in the suburbs are wonderful?
Not true for Stamford/Norwalk/Danbury

Old 03-18-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
I don't want to sound flippant but why should we care about this?
I put the first post about the layoffs in the state and some people feel the need to point out that the only reason Stamford is the best city in CT is it's proximity to NYC and Malloy had nothing to do with it's success.

I am merely trying to point out that Stamford being the best city in CT has many factors as to why and Malloy had a lot to do with it.

BTW or all the folks who think proximity to NYC is the only factory that Stamford is great why isn't Port Chester, White Plains, the Bronx etc. all better than Stamford?

AT least Malloy is trying to come up with solutions and turn the state around. You know what is really funny. Some of the Republican politicians on my FB page who keep complaining about Malloy are now bemoaning the fact that he will be cutting critical programs but don't appear to offer their own solutions. Reminds me of the politicians in DC who want to dismantle Obamacare but offer nothing to replace it.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
April 1 it hits the fan. I heard a rumor the layoffs will be pretty high.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:07 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
I put the first post about the layoffs in the state and some people feel the need to point out that the only reason Stamford is the best city in CT is it's proximity to NYC and Malloy had nothing to do with it's success.

I am merely trying to point out that Stamford being the best city in CT has many factors as to why and Malloy had a lot to do with it.

BTW or all the folks who think proximity to NYC is the only factory that Stamford is great why isn't Port Chester, White Plains, the Bronx etc. all better than Stamford?

AT least Malloy is trying to come up with solutions and turn the state around. You know what is really funny. Some of the Republican politicians on my FB page who keep complaining about Malloy are now bemoaning the fact that he will be cutting critical programs but don't appear to offer their own solutions. Reminds me of the politicians in DC who want to dismantle Obamacare but offer nothing to replace it.
You're giving Malloy too much credit for what is more attributable to serendipity than competent leadership. Stamford is convenient to NYC and saw huge interest immediately after 9/11 from lower Manhattan firms. At this time Jersey City and other periphery cities weren't as developed or financial service industry tilted as Stamford was. UBS had already set up shop and many hedge funds sprung up with the lower tax burden relative to NYC/NJ. It's similar to the boom years of Clinton which arose from the tech super boom and not the actions of President or Congress. An industrial/productivity revolution will make anyone look good

Old 03-18-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
You're giving Malloy too much credit for what is more attributable to serendipity than competent leadership.
Are you from Stamford and do you have 5 generations from there with over 500 hundred relatives many of whom have been in the government over the years? I know of what I speak.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:29 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Are you from Stamford and do you have 5 generations from there with over 500 hundred relatives many of whom have been in the government over the years? I know of what I speak.
There are plenty of folks in South Mississippi that have lived there for at least 5 generations and it doesn't make them "experts". Malloy got lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut