Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:23 PM

789 posts, read 702,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Try me again. I'm slow. Went to college in Texas. What was your point?

It seemed like you think people wearing conservative hats get beaten in NY...
Not that i seem to think...I KNOW if you were to walk around say the Sunday farmers market on Columbus Ave w one of those red Trump hats you will be told in no uncertain terms where to go and maybe someone might knock it off your head. Whereas the opposite just isn't true for the "the feel the Bern" supporters.

The POINT being, the side that preaches tolerance in practice only preaches it if you follow lock step in their belief system. If you don't you must be shut down.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:28 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Not that i seem to think...I KNOW if you were to walk around say the Sunday farmers market on Columbus Ave w one of those red Trump hats you will be told in no uncertain terms where to go and maybe someone might knock it off your head. Whereas the opposite just isn't true for the "the feel the Bern" supporters.

The POINT being, the side that preaches tolerance in practice only preaches it if you follow lock step in their belief system. If you don't you must be shut down.
That's funny... I am in NY all the time. I go to the Farmer's Market in Union Square all the time. I see people in all shapes, sizes, and spectrum of beliefs... I see conservative preachers screaming at the masses and they're left alone. I've had the "Watchtower" shove in my face my Jehova's Witnesses and Hassidic Jews follow me down the block wanting me to wear tiffilin with them.... Never have I seen any assaulted or even an argument started.

If you have some links to prove your point, I'm happy to look at them. In fact, I'd challenge you to show me a political assault at ANY farmer's market anywhere. As for violence at Trump rallies we can just-- as Warner Wolf would say-- go to the video tape.

There's a difference between what you wish to be true -- to prove some ridiculous false equivalency-- and what is , in fact, true.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:34 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Actually, a higher percentage of Trump supporters have no college degree. The most uneducated people flock to support Trump. So there is empirical evidence that Trump is for stupid people.
I'd be curious to see statistics on this, and if true, it's likely due to the high percentage of senior citizens following Trump. You have to take everything into account, nep.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
That's funny... I am in NY all the time. I go to the Farmer's Market in Union Square all the time. I see people in all shapes, sizes, and spectrum of beliefs... I see conservative preachers screaming at the masses and they're left alone. I've had the "Watchtower" shove in my face my Jehova's Witnesses and Hassidic Jews follow me down the block wanting me to wear tiffilin with them.... Never have I seen any assaulted or even an argument started.

If you have some links to prove your point, I'm happy to look at them. In fact, I'd challenge you to show me a political assault at ANY farmer's market anywhere. As for violence at Trump rallies we can just-- as Warner Wolf would say-- go to the video tape.

There's a difference between what you wish to be true -- to prove some ridiculous false equivalency-- and what is , in fact, true.
Try to be Ben Shapiro (or any conservative with a viewpoint) and do a speech at a college, see the vitriol and hate and if the speech isn't shut down prior to even happening, watch what happens on campus that day.

You should get out more. I live in NYC, went to NYU so I know from where I speak. I would be uncomfortable to sport a red Trump hat down in the belly of liberal NY or on the subway. I don't need video proof. Common sense. This is now a media narrative and as such will be promoted daily. Just yesterday in front of Trump Tower in Manhattan "What do we want DEAD TRUMP". Didn't make the nightly news?

Old 03-20-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Try to be Ben Shapiro (or any conservative with a viewpoint) and do a speech at a college, see the vitriol and hate and if the speech isn't shut down prior to even happening, watch what happens on campus that day.

You should get out more. I live in NYC, went to NYU so I know from where I speak. I would be uncomfortable to sport a red Trump hat down in the belly of liberal NY or on the subway. I don't need video proof. Common sense. This is now a media narrative and as such will be promoted daily. Just yesterday in front of Trump Tower in Manhattan "What do we want DEAD TRUMP". Didn't make the nightly news?
Your comfort level not withstanding, every college I know has a Conservative Student Organization and/or young Republican organization.

I'm in to free speech, non-violence and civil behavior. Any limitation or incidence on either side is unacceptable.

However, Trump is promoting the environment that's leading to these incidents.

That doesn't mean I don't hold individuals or groups -- like BLM or Westboro Baptist -- responsible for their own actions.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'd be curious to see statistics on this, and if true, it's likely due to the high percentage of senior citizens following Trump. You have to take everything into account, nep.
In the end, I'm not sure it matters.

Trump has exposed an obvious grievance that isn't being addressed by either party. Therein lies the opportunity for change. I think Trump is a really, really awful messenger-- so much so that I think he serves these people poorly. However, the fact that this groundswell was possible should give both parties pause and lead to (hopefully) a return of politicians who serve the people.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Actually, a higher percentage of Trump supporters have no college degree. The most uneducated people flock to support Trump. So there is empirical evidence that Trump is for stupid people.
Hmmm. Well a higher percentage of Bernie supporters are jobless (or "under employed") college graduates with 150k degrees in 13th century Nordic literature or (insert useless degree here) from private universities and want US to pay for it because they finally realized they will never have gainful employment outside the few highly selective academic positions "educating" (breeding?) the next wave of jobless idealists . Lets not forget one can major in puppetry at UCONN...

I would therefore argue that the "uneducated" Trump supporters you speak of were, ironically, "smart enough" to not burden themselves with mortgage-sized debts at 20 years of age for an immaterial degree.

Gross generalizations aside, you're going to sit there and tell me that Hilary doesn't have the support of some of the most highly undereducated and even violent demographics in the country? Who do you think the residents of detroit, baltimore, camden and hartford will vote for? please. and, FWIW, the people in those cities actually DO riot.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Your comfort level not withstanding, every college I know has a Conservative Student Organization and/or young Republican organization.

I'm in to free speech, non-violence and civil behavior. Any limitation or incidence on either side is unacceptable.

However, Trump is promoting the environment that's leading to these incidents.

That doesn't mean I don't hold individuals or groups -- like BLM or Westboro Baptist -- responsible for their own actions.
LOL. Even Obama has spoken out about colleges shutting down speech. Just because a college has a "conservative org" doesn't make the fact that the trend is "if you say stuff we libs don't agree with your not welcome to your views". Especially with regard to invitations to outside speakers continually getting shut down.

What is promoting this is the PC crowd has worked hard the last 2 decades to get speech where they want it. And it is disintegrating before their eyes. They are now organizing agitation to do things like dress up "protestors in KKK outfits and have them stand in front of a Black Trump supporter and agitate". When supporter loses cool, they get what they wanted. News coverage. Trump's fault.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
LOL. Even Obama has spoken out about colleges shutting down speech. Just because a college has a "conservative org" doesn't make the fact that the trend is "if you say stuff we libs don't agree with your not welcome to your views". Especially with regard to invitations to outside speakers continually getting shut down.

What is promoting this is the PC crowd has worked hard the last 2 decades to get speech where they want it. And it is disintegrating before their eyes. They are now organizing agitation to do things like dress up "protestors in KKK outfits and have them stand in front of a Black Trump supporter and agitate". When supporter loses cool, they get what they wanted. News coverage. Trump's fault.
Yes, when PC shuts down free speech that's too far.

However, consider there is a difference between freedom of speech and freedom from consequences of speech. Freedom of speech guarantees that the government takes no action. Protests, boycotts, peaceful marches in the street that abhor a conservative position aren't restricting free speech, they're a reaction to it and an expression of it.

So you think that when the KKK and White supremacists openly support Trump that's the other side organizing agitation? This woman is truly a Bernie supporter?

And you can count the number of black Trump supports on one hand.... With displays like the one above, no one has to wonder why.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Gross generalizations aside, you're going to sit there and tell me that Hilary doesn't have the support of some of the most highly undereducated and even violent demographics in the country? Who do you think the residents of detroit, baltimore, camden and hartford will vote for? please. and, FWIW, the people in those cities actually DO riot.
And just like you want to examine violence at Trump rallies for the underlying anger that causes it, the same should be true here.

This doesn't happen because people in the innercity are inherently bad.. There is a social condition that leads to this. Individuals are responsible for their own behavior-- as are the people at Trump rallies who give protesters a beat down...

But why does the phenomenon of inner city unrest-- or wide spread middle class dissatisfaction that Trump has exposed occur?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut