Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:12 PM

18 posts, read 16,391 times

Advertisements

Yeah, why all the animosity towards subdivisions (and new construction in general) in this region? Is there something I'm not seeing about living in a home devoid of modern amenities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I agree - there is a big desire for a lot of these nice "luxury" developments, even though many on here seem to hate the idea of any sort of "subdivision" made up of more than 2 homes.

When national builder Toll Brothers came to Glastonbury, they supposedly sold 13 or 14 of the 15 "phase 1" lots on the first day. When they came to Avon with even more expensive homes than Glastonbury, they sold a slew of them the first two years - I think upwards of 35-40 in 2 years (we know two people that bought with them in Avon, one for about $1 million, the other for about $1.5 million)

If there wasn't any desire for these types of homes, they wouldn't have sold.

(That said, I think there are local builders that definitely do a better job than Toll Brothers - but, they may not have the capacity to handle building 20 homes in a year)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:34 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So, in conclusion, everyone thinks the area they're from is the "next hot area".
Yep. Wherever I am is the place to be. Anyhow, I don't know if Oxford would be considered a "hot" area even though it has grown nicely, but Haynes wants to do some Quarry Walk project which sounds rather cool even though it might go against the rural character. Whether they'll get through zoninig, I don't know. Still, sounds neat.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:25 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Said it in another thread. Norwalk. It's got the mall project along with quite a few other modern residential projects in the works. The increased development will put a priority on transportation next as much of the residential development is apartments aimed at commuters. I think property values will increase a lot in a few years once the projects are done and people start taking a closer look at this area. The word has been out on Stamford so I think they've seen their significant rise.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Yep. Wherever I am is the place to be. Anyhow, I don't know if Oxford would be considered a "hot" area even though it has grown nicely, but Haynes wants to do some Quarry Walk project which sounds rather cool even though it might go against the rural character. Whether they'll get through zoninig, I don't know. Still, sounds neat.
I guess the town could be considered the hottest suburb, considering its growth rate. I don't know if I'd call it "happenin'", though.

The Quarry Walk project has already started. It's going to have a grocery store (Market- something), a town green surrounded by boutique-y stores, and market rate apartments/townhouses above and surrounding. It goes against everything Oxford-ites seem to want, but I think it's a great progression into the new century. They're essentially building a "downtown" from scratch. People now want that, so I think it's a good thing for the town. Even better for their already reasonable mill rate!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I guess the town could be considered the hottest suburb, considering its growth rate. I don't know if I'd call it "happenin'", though.

The Quarry Walk project has already started. It's going to have a grocery store (Market- something), a town green surrounded by boutique-y stores, and market rate apartments/townhouses above and surrounding. It goes against everything Oxford-ites seem to want, but I think it's a great progression into the new century. They're essentially building a "downtown" from scratch. People now want that, so I think it's a good thing for the town. Even better for their already reasonable mill rate!
That's cool. I hope it works...it should.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I agree - there is a big desire for a lot of these nice "luxury" developments, even though many on here seem to hate the idea of any sort of "subdivision" made up of more than 2 homes.

When national builder Toll Brothers came to Glastonbury, they supposedly sold 13 or 14 of the 15 "phase 1" lots on the first day. When they came to Avon with even more expensive homes than Glastonbury, they sold a slew of them the first two years - I think upwards of 35-40 in 2 years (we know two people that bought with them in Avon, one for about $1 million, the other for about $1.5 million)

If there wasn't any desire for these types of homes, they wouldn't have sold.

(That said, I think there are local builders that definitely do a better job than Toll Brothers - but, they may not have the capacity to handle building 20 homes in a year)
This is interesting since Toll's newest community in Glastonbury seems to be selling very quickly. Last I looked more than half the 30+ lots are sold in a community only opened a few months ago. Their previous developments here also do very well with resales. Personally I do not care for their home style or quality but understand that transferees like them. I think it has to do with the comfort of knowing what you get and being in an area of many similar homes. Jay

Old 03-23-2016, 07:16 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_JJWatt99 View Post
Yeah, why all the animosity towards subdivisions (and new construction in general) in this region? Is there something I'm not seeing about living in a home devoid of modern amenities?
This is New England. It is one of the oldest and densely populated parts of the country. There is little vacant land left and people do not want to see it destroyed for tract housing. We also like the charm and character of the region and know that it is impossible to replace once destroyed, so we are very protective of change. Any home can be upgraded to include "modern amenities" so rather than keep building new, we would rather see reuse. Jay

Old 03-23-2016, 11:05 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
West Hartford Residents Speak Against Allowing Taller Buildings In The Center - Courant Community

Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is interesting since Toll's newest community in Glastonbury seems to be selling very quickly. Last I looked more than half the 30+ lots are sold in a community only opened a few months ago. Their previous developments here also do very well with resales. Personally I do not care for their home style or quality but understand that transferees like them. I think it has to do with the comfort of knowing what you get and being in an area of many similar homes. Jay
I agree that the quality is not as good as local builders of similarly priced homes - the people that bought the $1 million and $1.5 million homes in Avon both were not thrilled with both the process and overall quality. That said, I think a lot of higher end builders in this region of the country (southern New England, NY, NJ) are better overall quality than Toll. However, I think they are as good as, or better than, other high end builders in many other areas of the country. Not all areas, but many of them.

We looked a at a few of their homes in Avon - typically, the first floor layout is really nice and open, and the master bedroom and bath are great, but the other bedrooms are often small - and, from what I hear, if you don't micromanage the construction process, you'll end up with things like one central air return in total for the other 3 upstairs bedrooms. (You typically should have one register and one return in each bedroom, or more than one for larger rooms like the master - not one return in the hallway for 3 bedrooms!)

The people that bought the $1.5 million home had an upgraded "step down" family room, but when it was built, Toll Brothers forget to make it a step down. While mistakes can happen during construction, that's a rather big boner to make that nobody caught . (The homeowner caught it when she went to visit the site - and, then the project manager tried to blame her for not catching the mistake...)

Old 03-24-2016, 08:54 AM

720 posts, read 919,214 times
I think the next hot are in CT will be Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut