Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:22 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_JJWatt99 View Post
I've been looking into completing a second graduate program (part time) while doing my time in CT.

The campus most proximate to me (CCSU) is highly disappointing, based on the research I've done. They aren't selective at all, have subpar admission statistics, yet have a tuition higher than that of my alma mater (UT Austin--one of the very top public universities in the country).

The other state universities--WCSU and ECSU--are even worse. I realize UConn is statistically on-par with UT, but let's face it...the campus is in the middle of a cow pasture (not to mention much less 'bang for your buck' in terms of tuition).

I assumed such a supposedly well educated state would have better state universities. Why is this not the case? I suppose this explains why the economy is so stagnant.
1. UConn is a great state school -- thought a Texan would like cows... Take an area of Texas the size of CT and apply your criteria there, keeping in mind the population of that area to fund a great school.
2. A lot of Connecticut parents raise their kids to be gunning for the very best private universities, and many kids succeed in that -- not much call for public funding of lots of state satellite universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:41 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Does anyone else think it's silly that the OP is comparing CT to TX? A better comparison would be TX vs New England, even though TX is still 4x larger by area and 2x larger by population. Despite that disadvantage, New England has far more education opportunities than TX does.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 PM

468 posts, read 475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My friend in California says in his circles (affluent Orange County) it is more prestigious to send your kids to a college in the northeast (particularly New England) than to any of the schools in the state. That includes Berkley and UCLA. I find that hard to believe but he insists that is so. Jay
Asians are taking over all the UC system ever since they got rid of all affirmative action, including reverse discrimination against asian students. Many white families have moved out of the most competitive schools like irvine and out to further orange county schools that is less asian/competitive.

Of course the northeast schools recruit heavily in cali, the HBCU's are cleaning house with all the black students in cali too.

Starting to happen to some extent in extremely competitive tx high schools now also. Many asian families will target the top schools and eventually it becomes too competitive for little johnny who also wants to play football so he just cant keep up in class. So they move further out to the easier schools.

Of course you dont have to worry about that in CT. Most asians see it as flyover/drivepast zone between nyc boston.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:53 PM

854 posts, read 1,241,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I've never even heard of Wellesley.
Probably because they don't have a football team.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:11 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Probably because they don't have a football team.
The most football I've ever seen was half of a super ball game on TV about 5 years ago. There's also the 10 minutes where I wasn't blacked out drunk at the one uconn game I went to...

I haven't heard of it because I don't know a single person in my life who went there, never read a single publication with an author from there, never seen work being done there presented at scientific conferences and have not even crossed paths with a single alumnus on Linkedin. If it's that great a school, I must just be in different social/professional circles.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
The most football I've ever seen was half of a super ball game on TV about 5 years ago. There's also the 10 minutes where I wasn't blacked out drunk at the one uconn game I went to...

I haven't heard of it because I don't know a single person in my life who went there, never read a single publication with an author from there, never seen work being done there presented at scientific conferences and have not even crossed paths with a single alumnus on Linkedin. If it's that great a school, I must just be in different social/professional circles.
It's an all-women's school, and the next POTUS went there.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:24 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
It's an all-women's school, and the next POTUS went there.
Donald Trump went to an all womens school? How gender forward of them to be so accommodating, even back then. The real question is, was he allowed to use the womens bathrooms too?

Old 03-23-2016, 09:29 PM

He was overheard in the midst of an unfortunate spout of verbal diarrhea in one of the bathroom stalls at Trump University School of Law.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:57 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
My friend in California says in his circles (affluent Orange County) it is more prestigious to send your kids to a college in the northeast (particularly New England) than to any of the schools in the state. That includes Berkley and UCLA. I find that hard to believe but he insists that is so. Jay
Your friend is right. I have quite a bit of family and friends in Southern California and I've mingled with their local friends. They all think east coast universities - mostly in between DC and Boston - are extremely prestigious. One thought UCONN was Ivy League and I had to correct him that it wasn't even close.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:15 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
This is true, to a point. If its a private school in the north east, that's impressive. If its a public school in the north east, not so much. Which makes sense, as the north east's strength is its private universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut