Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:28 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
One problem that those cheaper southern schools don't tell you about is that it is pretty difficult to finish your degree in four years. They have certain mandatory classes that are offered one semester a year, are limited in size and are just about impossible to get into so students end up having to do a fifth year thus eliminating most of the savings. I know SEVERAL students this happened to so it not just an isolated incident. There are also a number of unmentioned fees involved as well. A couple of the people I know that this happened to said they regretted going to the school because in addition to the extra year of school, they also had to pay through the nose on travel around the holidays. Together this made it more expensive than their local school options. Jay
Same thing in CT. Science classes are so in demand have to stay up at 12AM date it officially opens hope you have a good connection and apply. Classes fill up in an hour if your out have to wait usually till next semester, which delays you by a year happen to me.

In my four year program I completed at WCSU. I was delayed by a year because I had to drop out of a class only offer in the fall semester for my degree.

Again back to the cost my science classes are close to $950 a class. It's challenging to afford that and take on other classes. So it delays me more because can only take one at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 11:36 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Same thing in CT. Science classes are so in demand have to stay up at 12AM date it officially opens hope you have a good connection and apply. Classes fill up in an hour if your out have to wait usually till next semester, which delays you by a year happen to me.

In my four year program I completed at WCSU. I was delayed by a year because I had to drop out of a class only offer in the fall semester for my degree.

Again back to the cost my science classes are close to $950 a class. It's challenging to afford that and take on other classes. So it delays me more because can only take one at a time.
Sorry but you are one of the few I know that this happened to. Most, if not all, of the students I know in the Connecticut State University system finished in 4 years. And believe me I know a lot. Jay

Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 AM

CT to do better needs to fix up the college system

Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
One problem that those cheaper southern schools don't tell you about is that it is pretty difficult to finish your degree in four years. They have certain mandatory classes that are offered one semester a year, are limited in size and are just about impossible to get into so students end up having to do a fifth year thus eliminating most of the savings. I know SEVERAL students this happened to so it not just an isolated incident. There are also a number of unmentioned fees involved as well. A couple of the people I know that this happened to said they regretted going to the school because in addition to the extra year of school, they also had to pay through the nose on travel around the holidays. Together this made it more expensive than their local school options. Jay
The mandatory class issue is a problem at many schools, UCONN included (myself being exhibit A).

That aside, state universities (for state residents) are almost always going to be the best value (quality of education/cost). End of story. The sentiment of this thread has been discussed at length and I can sympathize with "lack of opportunity", at least with diversity of research @ graduate level. However, it sounds like the OP needs to just suck it up and go to UCONN storrs if he wants to go to a better school. That's what I did. There's plenty to complain about with CT, but when I decided to get a masters degree, I found a program that aligned with my career goals and seized the opportunity, rather than complaining that it didn't exist at nearby CSU schools. Sacrifice builds character. The commute blows and the routine gets old quick. But in the end, it's another triumph (and a few more grey hairs).

Old 03-25-2016, 11:58 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
^^^ oops, wrong university thread....

Old 03-25-2016, 09:40 PM

138 posts, read 116,288 times
Upon entering college I also thought it was pretty stupid for me to take so many classes that were not related to my major. Then I realized that I learned next to nothing in high school and found that almost all of these courses were a useful experience. College will be the replacement for high school for as long as high schools continue to hold standardized tests as their primary focus.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:40 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
I just saw this list of the most educated cities in the country. Little CT has 2 spots in the top 25 which is most impressive. Don't forget the price of a commodity, widget or service is the product of supply and demand. People are wealthier in CT and want to send their kids to college which will drive up the costs of a college education (or any product for that matter) in this area. Given the fact that CT has the highest per capita income and there is a large demand for higher education I think the prices are quite reasonable. But I also studied banking and economics before I went to art school so I might see things differently.

The 25 Most And Least Educated Cities In America | Forbes

Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
UConn president rejects proposed room, board, fee increases | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 PM

830 posts, read 684,613 times
So sick of Gov. Malloy's shenanigans. He needs to go!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:37 PM

CT like I said has no game plan for this state. Offer better services and control spending. Debt may go up, but you'll attract more people to the state and in the long run will pay off CT debt. Need to lower 4 year State college tuitions, free community college, universal healthcare, a connected hospital network medical research field, encourage hospitals to hire ADN nurses after 2020 by 2025, encourage tech jobs, improve CTs infrastructure with help from engineer grads from the state, cap property tax at 45%, lower income taxes/lower sales tax, increase gas taxes, eliminate taxes on pre packaged foods/car washes, establish school taxes (Create a new standard for CT public school's to be at the same level across the state by 2025, stabilize the state government/work force, improve funding to CT healthcare, improve CT Infrastructure by 2025, entice more companies to CT/Give funding to companies who take in CT workers/offer education assistance to employees going for their bachelor's at a state 4 year school. Also improve housing and work on reducing crime/blight/drug use in the 5 big cities of CT (New London, Waterbury, Hartford, Bridgeport). Ensure cities offer more community activities such as Greenways/Local Park's clean drug free needle free.

Bam CT will be booming by 2025 in 25 years by 2050 CT will be in surplus of money and growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut