Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Connecticut and Ohio
Connecticut 15 83.33%
Ohio 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:22 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both, I wouldn't say either one is really better than the other, to be honest. I just moved back to CT this week and am still adjusting to how rural and quaint it feels compared to Columbus (a bigger metropolitan area).

I miss the big, open spaces and high speed roads in Ohio, whereas here in CT everything is compact and slow. And not to mention, old looking. The infrastructure in CT is seriously a national embarrassment. Rusted bridges everywhere, faded street paint lines, disintegrating curbs, you name it. Everything just has a old, worn down appearance in general, so it's kind of depressing. But I'll just have to get used to it I guess. It also gets dark 35 minutes earlier in CT, which adds to the depression. And it's a bit colder.

In any case, I am happy to be here and start my new job on Monday. I hope it goes well, is all I can say. Being near family is a plus, although I'm anxious to get out of their house ASAP.

Ohio, however has three mid-sized metropolitan areas, which CT simply doesn't have. All of the metro areas in CT are small or extra small. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. But there's not much here for those who like larger metros.

The coast of CT is more charming than the north coast of Ohio, but it's still very nice, too.

All in all, I would say both states are on equal footing, but I would ultimately give CT the slight edge, just because I'm native to here and it feels more natural to me. I will always remember that Columbus/Ohio was a pretty good place to live and I had very little to complain about there.

As for the cost of living thing...I think there's really no difference, unless you're in Fairfield County, which is outrageously expensive. Put it this way....in Ohio, I was making a salary of $63K and my apartment was about $1,000 a month. Now, in CT I will be making $70K and likely to soon have an apartment for about $1,000 a month. Not to mention, I will not have to spend my precious vacation days and hundreds upon hundreds of dollars just to visit my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 11:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,417 times
When I was a young lad, August 1980, my father decided to move us from Connecticut to Ohio. Different. I remember the first time I saw an Amish person. Nice people out there, but I would never live in Ohio again. When he lost his job my mother said "back to Connecticut!!!" And back we went. Thanks, Ma.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
With regards to top level health care as mentioned by one of the above posters, I would give the nod to Ohio simply due to the Cleveland Clinic. It is truly internationally respected while Yale New Haven would be considered by most to be a very good regional hospital. Aside from its' endicronolgy and psychiatry departments, I don't believe YNHH has any top ten ranked specialties. The Cleveland Clinic ranks top ten in thirteen specialties with nine of them being top three in the nation.
Yeah, but if a person lives in Columbus and I live in New Haven I am closer to the New York hospitals than they are to the Cleveland Clinic. Ohio, as you know, is a really big state.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 PM

660 posts, read 658,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Ohio: the Connecticut Western Reserve.

And this never gets old: [youtube]ysmLA5TqbIY[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY[/url]
LOL, I saw that video in the past and I liked the 2nd one better.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
One thing that I would like to add is that I actually think east coast people, in a way, are friendlier than people in the Midwest. Midwestern people are more humble and show less personality. They are more laid back in general. However, east coast people seem to show more personality, whether it's negative OR positive. Therefore, I would say that east coast people are nicer than Midwest people, but also more cold/rude than Midwest people. East coast people seem to have a broader range of personality expressions that are more pronounced as well.

Here in the Granby area, people are *very* friendly, in a real way. After living in places like NYC, Columbus and FFC, I no longer feel like I fit in, in Granby. I feel a bit urban minded compared to Granby people now. Everyone is just so friendly and positive around here and the surrounding towns like Southwick, etc.

Also, the people in Ohio tend to have a somewhat "nerdy" element going on, often. But in CT and on the east coast, people are more "cool."

Old 03-27-2016, 06:01 PM

814 posts, read 910,840 times
Ohio Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, Connecticut has a Pez factory.

Ohio wins

Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post

Ohio wins
I think you forgot that CT is a fraction of the size of OH. If you compare apples to apples (amenities within a certain distance), CT wins by far.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:16 PM

138 posts, read 116,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post

Ohio wins
I would rather see the giant anteater than cardboard cutouts of Run DMC.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:18 PM

660 posts, read 658,194 times
I have never been to Cleveland. I may take a drive there in the summer. Downtown Cleveland looked relatively nice in google streetview. Outer Cleveland is a different story...

Old 03-30-2016, 04:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
I have never been to Cleveland. I may take a drive there in the summer. Downtown Cleveland looked relatively nice in google streetview. Outer Cleveland is a different story...
See downtown by all means but don't just limit yourself to the downtown area. I don't know what you are referring to by "outer Cleveland" but if you have never been to here, you would be missing out on some great places if you stay in just one spot. Check these out as well.

Cleveland Botanical Garden | Cleveland Gardens

Cleveland Museum of Art

University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo

And if you want to choose from a different list:

The Cleveland Bucket List | News Features | Cleveland Scene

These are by no means all downtown or in the area but they are all great places to visit.

Have a great trip this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut