Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:27 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Forgot to address the medical question, there are no hospitals in Fairfield. The closest would be St. Vincent's in Bridgeport. It is very good. There is also Bridgeport Hospital there as well. The next closest would be Norwalk Hospital which is also good. There are a lot of doctors and a couple of walk-in clinics in town as well. Jay
Ditto your surrounded by clinics and hospital's. Even on the Fairfield/Bridgeport line Bridgeport Hospital is putting the finishing touches on their new huge medical complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Sasco Beach is surrounded by multi-million dollar estates, not small capes.

A downtown-center area home (south of the Post Rd) fixed up and updated will yield stronger resale value and potential than a home in a town further north up the line. Also, faster turnaround when the time comes to sell.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 AM

109 posts, read 161,107 times
Fairfield now has a B Fresh supermarket in the center of town which opened recently, which saves trips to the bigger supermarkets. Great if you are within walking distance of town and just want to pick up a few things.

Ditto what pecanpie1 said above, also look in the Sasco area to the west of the beach area, lots of smaller cape homes and still walkable to town. Also I think less liable to flooding than parts of the beach area?

I do know that seniors can sign up for a snow shoveling service offered by students, not sure what else, but the senior center is right there in the Beach/Sasco neighborhood on Mona Terrace.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:06 AM

109 posts, read 161,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post

Sasco Hill Rd leading to the beach is possibly one of the most affluent in CT - but the surrounding side streets (between Sasco Hill and South Pine Creek) are very down to earth and smaller 2/3 bedroom homes. This neighborhood is referred to as "Sasco".

Old 03-29-2016, 07:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awt1972 View Post
Sasco Hill Rd leading to the beach is possibly one of the most affluent in CT - but the surrounding side streets (between Sasco Hill and South Pine Creek) are very down to earth and smaller 2/3 bedroom homes. This neighborhood is referred to as "Sasco".
Correct, very very familiar with the bold. I have a really good reason for it.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:00 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpie1 View Post
I lived there for 25 years, however, I was not a "senior" at the time so my knowledge of senior related issues is zilch. The Fairfield Beach area is safe as is all of Fairfield. Petty theft exists but I can't think of any areas in our country that are totally crime free. However, avoid nearby Bridgeport esp. at night. Very close to Fairfield Beach is Sasco Beach which is a very nice beach surrounded by smaller older cape cod homes some within your budget until you access Sasco Beach Road which is very expensive real estate. As for hospitals, St. Vincent's in Bridgeport is the closest hospital. Bridgeport Hospital being the next closest. I'd opt for St. Vincent's over Bridgeport Hospital. Are you still looking at homes in Fairfield County? Fairfield County real estate is the most expensive in the state. Another option might be Norwalk. I think Fairfield has a nicer "downtown area" though. I think you might have better luck in New Haven County real estate wise. Many of the beach communities/towns are very nice. Guilford has a huge town green surrounded by shops and a few restaurants. The beach is down the road, more restaurants, a boat launch and many nice houses. Branford, esp. the Stony Creek area is also very nice. Clinton is another favorite. Old Saybrook is another winner (Katherine Hepburn' summer home is located here.) Madison is also nice but more pricey real estate. Hospitals would be Yale Medical and St. Raphael's both in my opinion better than St. V's or Bridgeport Hospital. Overall though Fairfield would be my "pick". In addition to being closer to NYC, the train station is right off of the Post Rd. which is "Main" St. in Fairfield.
I think you have some of the road names wrong. There is no Sasco Beach Road in Fairfield. Sasco Beach is at the end of Sasco Hill Road in Southport and it is surrounding by mansions and estates that are some of the priciest real estate in town. The estate next to the beach is for sale and they are asking $62 million for it (it includes a mansion and 20 waterfront acres). Absolutely stunning property.

I think you are actually thinking of Pine Creek Beach which is a small beach at the end of South Pine Creek Road. The homes there are much more modest but now a days they fetch a pretty decent price. Not sure they would be within the OP's budget. The same would go for Reef Road, Penfield Road, Beach Road and South Benson Road which are all now pretty desirable locations near the beaches in town. The OP really has to go inland and east to get a decent home in the $300,000 price range in Fairfield. Jay

Old 03-29-2016, 10:09 AM

786 posts, read 824,262 times
Sasco Hill Road isn't in Southport; thats Fairfield.

1143 Sasco Hill Rd, Fairfield, CT 06824 | MLS #99037689 | Zillow

Old 03-29-2016, 10:15 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpie1 View Post
I lived there for 25 years, however, I was not a "senior" at the time so my knowledge of senior related issues is zilch. The Fairfield Beach area is safe as is all of Fairfield. Petty theft exists but I can't think of any areas in our country that are totally crime free. However, avoid nearby Bridgeport esp. at night. Very close to Fairfield Beach is Sasco Beach which is a very nice beach surrounded by smaller older cape cod homes some within your budget until you access Sasco Beach Road which is very expensive real estate. As for hospitals, St. Vincent's in Bridgeport is the closest hospital. Bridgeport Hospital being the next closest. I'd opt for St. Vincent's over Bridgeport Hospital. Are you still looking at homes in Fairfield County? Fairfield County real estate is the most expensive in the state. Another option might be Norwalk. I think Fairfield has a nicer "downtown area" though. I think you might have better luck in New Haven County real estate wise. Many of the beach communities/towns are very nice. Guilford has a huge town green surrounded by shops and a few restaurants. The beach is down the road, more restaurants, a boat launch and many nice houses. Branford, esp. the Stony Creek area is also very nice. Clinton is another favorite. Old Saybrook is another winner (Katherine Hepburn' summer home is located here.) Madison is also nice but more pricey real estate. Hospitals would be Yale Medical and St. Raphael's both in my opinion better than St. V's or Bridgeport Hospital. Overall though Fairfield would be my "pick". In addition to being closer to NYC, the train station is right off of the Post Rd. which is "Main" St. in Fairfield.
I appreciate the detailed response particularly regarding safety/medical facilities.

Thank you for listing out the options in NH County, however they might be a far from NYC. Milford is about as far we would consider going.

Fairfield is definitely a solid town with most of the amenities my parents and I have been looking for. I'll check out the other FFC/NHC towns that were recommended by some of the members to open up the housing options.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Ditto your surrounded by clinics and hospital's. Even on the Fairfield/Bridgeport line Bridgeport Hospital is putting the finishing touches on their new huge medical complex.
That's great! It sounds like there are good medical options available near Fairfield.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post

A downtown-center area home (south of the Post Rd) fixed up and updated will yield stronger resale value and potential than a home in a town further north up the line. Also, faster turnaround when the time comes to sell.
You read my mind, Raider. This is precisely why I am interested in the downtown-center area! I'd rather update a place that is well located, instead of buying an updated/higher end house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut